What do you do with all of your "extra" art?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with all of your "extra" art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What do you do with all of your "extra" art?

Just wondering what you guys do (unless you just toss it all in the garbage of course) with all of you "Extra" art? By extra, I mean the stuff you aren't particularly proud of or the gazillions of doodles/unfinished WIPs/etc. Be it digital or tangible, I'm curious. Do you back it up or delete it? Consolidate it into a sketch file and delete it once uploaded to the internet? What about your physical artwork? Stuff them in a portfolio behind a desk somewhere? Sell it at a garage sale?

I'm wondering because I feel like my sketches are almost like a diary of my progress artistically over the years and I hesitate to throw it all away, but there simply isn't enough space physically for all of my tangible stuff & I doubt if I'll ever really go through all of my old digital sketches unless I am supremely bored in my old age. Also I have boxes of old sketchbooks currently taking up space in my closet that I don't know what to do with, some dating back over a decade. e_e

And don't even get me started on sculptures--what the heck do you do with all of your "just-for-fun" sculptures??? I'd feel bad giving them away as gifts as most of them are so crappy, but I'm tired of dusting around them.

Guess I'm just looking for advice/amusing ranty art conversation.

Last edited by Kasei; February 4th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh you'll go through all your old doodles. Sadly I didn't have the time and space to store all my old doodles but I remember picking up the physical drawings from highschool years ago, and it was a nostalgia trip.

Looking back and thinking.... "God... look at this crap..... .. but it's my crap "

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've got piles of paper absolutely everywhere. It helps insulate my house.

In fact, since I paint on hardboard, one of these years I ought to build myself a little cubicle out of bad paintings. I can stuff particularly terrible drawings into the gaps, add a little space heater and voila -- instant home office.

But really, stuff lies around until I step on it once too often and then it gets recycled. I scan everything I like even a little so it's not that big a deal.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

dpaint is online now Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Burn baby burn. Its so cathartic.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best old doodles or drawings, it when it has a good memory behind it, like a sketch at the park on a nice sunny day when you feel real good.

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Usually art historians and museums line up to get everything which doesn't get sold...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For tangible art, when I moved I took digital pics of all the old stuff, pulled out a couple pieces to keep, and then threw the rest in recycling. I was upset at first, but now I still have that record of progress and closet space in my new house.

For digital stuff...um...extra storage?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormslegacy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I throw it away.
    Since I scan a lot of what I do and post them on my sketchbook thread and/or blog there's no reason for me to hang on to sketches. I have a huge pile of them waiting to be thrown to the recycling (anatomy studies, drawings from imagination, life drawings,etc).
    For the digital stuff I simply delete it.
    If my thread and blog should ever be deleted and I lose everything, I wouldn't care, afterall if I drew it once I can draw it again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep my favorite ones, let people have ones that they like, and then throw everything else away.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yep...it's better to burn out than fade away. If you're super bad-ass you build one of these: Gurney's Gallery Flambeau.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Put a pretty bow on it and send it to mom and relatives

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Buried in folders. I am a packrat. Who knows when you might need that old doodle?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trash bin, almost always. I used to save them but they just piled up and i had no use for them. It's also a way to keep a certain mindset about your work, as in i shouldn't think my studies are too awesome for the trash bin. There's the occasional nicer one that I save when i feel i've "gotten" something.
    No reason to delete digital ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Yep...it's better to burn out than fade away. If you're super bad-ass you build one of these: Gurney's Gallery Flambeau.
    That. Is awesome. Must make one of these this summer.

I guess I'm just too lazy to scan them all, and to throw out all of those old sketchbook seems a waste....looks like it's to the death ray! Man that thing is cool.

As for digital ones, it seems like such a waste of an external hard drive to store up so many doodles, but then again I suppose that is probably the better, more space-conscious option.

But what about sculptures? I know I am not the only person who doodles with sculpey now and again...maybe you guys are just all smart and don't bake and paint them for fun as well. Guess I'll just garage sale those suckers.

Last edited by Kasei; February 5th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    With the sculptures you could film them and upload to Youtube - you can make it private. I have 4 photos of a life size torso I did years ago and am sorry I didn't take more.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually just stuff them in a folder, bury them in my closet, and then forget about them for a few years. Then once I get around to cleaning really good and find them, sometimes I'll go through them and keep the ones that stand out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff usually pile up on the floor or elsewhere... Which makes cleaning up even more of a pain since I have to go through all the stuff to see which of it I want to keep and which is going in the bin.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol I wasn't expecting so many people to be like "Oh I throw it all out or burn it". I'm guessing most keep some form of record, otherwise where's the fun of seeing your progress over time.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely don't burn it ALL! I keep all kinds of old crap that is important to me for one reason or another. But you get to a point, especially if you do a lot of figure drawing/gesture work, or plein air studies that it just gets in the way. One piece of advice I have is to date everything as you create it!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Wednesday's gestures. I know we've only known each other for a couple days but I was wondering...would you go out with me? Maybe we could catch a movie sometime? Get pizza?

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep everything that's taken me an hour or longer. Most of my gesture sketches are drawn in crappy $2 notebooks, and I put those on a shelf, just so i can look up and see how many pages I've filled. I also keep the sketchbooks that hold my longer drawings, so I can look back through them and see how I progressed. I took a look at the one from ninth grade a few days ago and it almost burnt my eyes, but it was kind of satisfying seeing how I've improved. If there's a doodle just lying around on printer paper, I usually use the sheet for something else, like testing marker colors or math homework. I don't think I have any of my files from before highschool, but the rest are named starting with a year-month-day number so that I can scroll though them and see that they're getting better. If I had more crappy traditional paintings, I'd probably paint over them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Burn it... unless one of my friends really really wants it... then they are welcome to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A SB would be a lot easier to sort out than random pages scattered about of course. Put them on the shelf or in a box or something. Though yes there is that time when there just gets to be too much of course.

I guess it depends on how much is too much lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a very disorganized person x.x. I keep most of my old art in a giant folder somewhere (can't locate it right now) I should be laminating my best ones and storing them away in a safer place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I record it anyway and then put it away somewhere. I figure if you are to improve, you should have the messy and ugly stuff to show for it as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madelly View Post
    I record it anyway and then put it away somewhere. I figure if you are to improve, you should have the messy and ugly stuff to show for it as well.
    That's what I do too. I chuck it under the bed or put it on some archival disk and in 10 years I will get the shock of my life to rediscover that I did those

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Recycle, recycle, recycle. I used to keep all my old junk but, let's face it, I'm never going to use or even look at all that old stuff anyway. The ones I like I scan and keep as a record (so I can go back and see my progress if I want to) and the rest goes in the recycling bin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like keeping my old stuff tucked away as a measure of how much I've done and how much I've improved. Before you throw your stuff away you might consider scanning it all and making a timeline video on YouTube - compress all of the images into a 4-5 minute video and depending on how much you have it could be pretty neat to watch your style evolve in a fast pace.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Digital - Recycle bin

Traditional - Recycle bin

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have a bucket full of sb's and stuff. Funny when I look at it, I can actually see the potential I showed for comics then. Some decent stuff was produced.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2