Thread: Heatworld

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts

Heatworld

Heatworld

http://io9.com/5881819/nearby-super+...fe-home-planet

its hard to read there, but great for hunting in the jungle
    get to the choppa

"This newly discovered planet is just 22 light-years away. Its discoverers are calling it the "new best candidate" to support water, and possibly life. The planet's unique features could even make it the ideal home for creatures like the Predator.

The newly discovered planet, which has the rather catchy name of GJ 667Cc, is at least 4.5 times the mass of our planet, and it orbits its host star every 28 days. While that may not sound anything like our planet, the fact that it orbits a much dimmer red dwarf star means that it ends up getting about 90% of the sunlight we get on Earth. But most of that light would be infrared, which would allow the planet to absorb more energy than if the light was in optical wavelengths.

That places the planet comfortably in the habitable zone of its host star — but it also raises some intriguing possibilities about what the nature of life on this planet. Life on our planet evolved to see primarily in optical wavelengths because most of the light that gets through the atmosphere is visible, while other wavelengths like ultraviolet and infrared are absorbed by the ozone layer. That's especially true of the oceans, where vision initially evolved hundreds of millions of years ago, as the water tends to block out everything but a very narrow band of optical wavelengths."

Heatworld
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    who cares, we aren't going to be able to do there, so it's pointless info
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Heatworld

Thanks
    4.5x the size of earth? Unless its made of polystyrene, the gravity there will be hella strong, so it doesn't matter even if we could get there via some sort of Lost In Space type cryogenic stasis ship, even if Matt LeBlanc was the pilot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    You are making the same error as that 19th century philosopher, whose name has now slipped my mind, who tried to come up with a question that could in principle never be answered. His example of such a question was "What are the stars made of?" Within a few years after he posed the question, it was answered.

Within the next few decades we will probably have the necessary technology to take a spectrum of such nearby planets. If they have life on them the spectrum will tell us so, in at least some cases. Who knows what else we may be able to find out about them without necessarily having to go there.

The philosopher who used the composition of the stars as example of an unanswerable question soon had egg all over his face. And now we have here a philosopher who uses the nature of extra-solar system planets as example of "pointless information." He couldn't be more wrong: astronomy has always been, and remains, one of the most fundamental pillars of all science.

Quote Originally Posted by RyNSWOrLD View Post
    4.5x the size of earth? Unless its made of polystyrene, the gravity there will be hella strong, so it doesn't matter even if we could get there via some sort of Lost In Space type cryogenic stasis ship, even if Matt LeBlanc was the pilot.
    It depends on the size of the planet. It might not be very dense, in which case the surface gravity may be bearable. Perhaps there are short and stocky Predators living there. If they then come to earth for the hunt, they'll be able to perform quite astounding-looking physical stunts. :-)

Thanks
    It depends on the size of the planet. It might not be very dense, in which case the surface gravity may be bearable. Perhaps there are short and stocky Predators living there. If they then come to earth for the hunt, they'll be able to perform quite astounding-looking physical stunts. :-)
    It would have to be somewhere in the region of four times less dense that the density of the sum of all the things our earth is made of, which is super-unlikely. It would likely be uninhabitable for humans, was all I was saying

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    The Earth is round.

Who cares I never leave my house? Now leave me alone I almost beat this level.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It would have to be somewhere in the region of four times less dense that the density of the sum of all the things our earth is made of, which is super-unlikely.
    Could perhaps be if it is made mostly of water?

Such questions may well be answered in the coming decades, when we develop better technology with which to image the planets directly.

Thanks
    "Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    who cares, we aren't going to be able to do there, so it's pointless info"

other people have already pointed out this is a stupid thing to say for several reasons, but it might also be practically untrue.

I mean, ok, sure we are no where near launching a big tin can full of humans, with all the pluming necessary to keep them alive, to another stellar system.
    Frankly I think such ships probably wont happen for thousands of years, if ever.

But what about a tiny starship the size of your thumb, full of ultradense cimputers, some smart matter, a big mesh mirror and a signal laser? You could drive it using a big laser in orbit around the earth so it wouldnt need engines.

Such a device might carry very smart AI's, or even fully digitised humans in the comfort of simulated environments, to nearby stars within the next 200 years..

See also, Starwisp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starwisp

Thanks
    even if they made a ship that could make the journey. It would take so long it's not even relevant to us.

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    You have no sense of importance or history. If every discoverer or inventor said that we don't need to discover or invent because it won't affect me now you wouldn't be sitting on your lazy ass enjoying the fruits of other peoples' labors.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    Could perhaps be if it is made mostly of water?

Such questions may well be answered in the coming decades, when we develop better technology with which to image the planets directly.
    If the planet itself was made mostly of water, it wouldn't be similar to earth, but if you mean the % of its surface covered with water, it wouldn't make that much of a difference overall, but you're right, there's loads of things we wont know without more advanced technology.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    with some training
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    "even if they made a ship that could make the journey. It would take so long it's not even relevant to us."

22 light years at 25% C is 88 years, plus another 88 for signals to get back. 176 years years. A long time to you and me, but to people the people of 2300AD who might live for 10,000 years its cool.

the big problems with space travel are journey time and hauling all the crap that meat humans need to live.

IBut if your just pushing computer substrate, the ships can be tiny, and if all the crew are uploads, the plumbing is eliminated. Real humans could well travel to other stars, just not in the big wet bags of meat we call bodies.

Its entirely plausible to colonise the entire galaxy with a sublight upload culture in maybe a million years, a very short time in the grand scheme of gigayears and gigalightyears.

Even more spculatively, a great way to colonise a whole universe might be to go back in time and inject ones whole culture right after the big bang, and then let cosmic expansion do all the work. the fact that no ones seems to have done this suggest its not possible though.
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; February 4th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    unrelated but very cool
    - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    22 light years at 25% C is 88 years, plus another 88 for signals to get back. 176 years years.
    Actually, only 22 years for the signals to get back, as I'm sure you know.

the big problems with space travel are journey time and hauling all the crap that meat humans need to live.
    In the unlikely event that you have never seen this, go take a look:

http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html

Thanks
    If the planet itself was made mostly of water, it wouldn't be similar to earth, but if you mean the % of its surface covered with water, it wouldn't make that much of a difference overall,
    No, I meant if the planet itself was mostly made of water. It would then of course not be all that similar to earth. But then, I rather like the weird variety we get with these exoplanets, and I am not that desperate to find earth's twin. I think the media, and sometimes even the scientists, are way too eager to wildly speculate on possible abodes for extraterrestrial life.

Thanks
    "Actually, only 22 years for the signals to get back, as I'm sure you know."

ha you are of course completely right. my maths..jesus!

"If the planet itself was made mostly of water, it wouldn't be similar to earth, but if you mean the % of its surface covered with water, it wouldn't make that much of a difference overall,"

solaris?
    actually i think life on a water world, though maybe super diferent in some deep ways (ie different circadian rythms, different tides) many forms would be familar. water is water, so jellyfish forms, microlife, fish forms, squid forms, plankton, plankton grazers, snakes, corals, etc seem things that will at one time or another evolve on an ocean planet.
    i mean fishy things have evolved over and over, from hagfish and sharks, al the variety of modern fish, ichteyosaurs, cetaceans, sea snakes, prawns, etc

i tried to imagine very alien sentient life and couldnt come up with many (obiously hehe)

maybe
    natural computers of some kind, biological networks or electrical structures or bacteria in ice maybe

cryolife, with liquid helium for blood or something like the outsiders in known space stories by larry niven

life in coherent wave forms and turbulance, in some medium like a gas giant, sea, star, space fabric, like the qax in stephen baxters xeelee sequence

space whales like the spline, also xeelee

maybe some kind of blackhole or neutron star life?

post singularity clade civilzations like Angel's in Confluence by Paul McAuley; she had a whole star cluster populated by individuals based on her dna..

upload cultures like the Festival in Charlie Stross's Accelerando

can you think of any more that arent variations on the theme of meatbag with hands and eyes that lives in a warmish gravity well?

"In the unlikely event that you have never seen this, go take a look:"

maybe.. theyre like the Wederlai...?

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; February 5th, 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    even if they made a ship that could make the journey. It would take so long it's not even relevant to us.
    Plus, everyone knows the earth is flat. Why would you sail out in the ocean in search of new land? you'll just fall off the edge.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    There's no such thing as pointless information. For instance, it's useful to know that, at least in certain circumstances, you are, or at at least present yourself to be, an idiot.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    There's no such thing as pointless information. For instance, it's useful to know that, at least in certain circumstances, you are, or at at least present yourself to be, an idiot.
    Your just pointing out useless information, no one cares if I am an idiot, most people in the world are.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Relevant for idiots;

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heatworld
    - - - - - - - - - -

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Relevant for idiots;

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My mistake, to each his own. Enjoy the bottom of the next bottle.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post

. . .But what about a tiny starship the size of your thumb, full of ultradense cimputers, some smart matter, a big mesh mirror and a signal laser? You could drive it using a big laser in orbit around the earth so it wouldnt need engines.

Such a device might carry very smart AI's, or even fully digitised humans in the comfort of simulated environments, to nearby stars within the next 200 years..

See also, Starwisp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starwisp
    Needs a Swiss Army blade on it so we can mutilate some of THEIR cows!

(Some people do think the "Greys" are just mechanical constructs kinda of the nature you're describing here).

Thanks
    Your just pointing out useless information, no one cares if I am an idiot, most people in the world are.
    But we care if idiots open their mouths and poison the air. You can't seriously believe that information not affecting you right now is not important. That is worse than being an idiot.

Guess all those people working on a cure for cancer over the last decades should just give up. Leonardo was wasting time. None of his inventions were ever made during his lifetime.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Guess all those people working on a cure for cancer over the last decades should just give up.
    Shit that would suck!

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If thinking about space and the universe and all the magnificent stuff out there we have yet to discover, even if in in future generations... if that doesn't make you feel like this:

Heatworld

Then I just... I don't know.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.