Thanks

Making bad finished art to make with schedule ?

Because of work schedule and many things,,
    Right now I have 5 half finish illustration lying around for class which should have been done last week. I'm working with opaque paint but sometimes I get the idea of just doing line work and a couple of wash and call it a finish illustration.
    This might be the right time for the half ass tactic, but I feel like it is extremely cop out and it doesn't make sense. I would be making bad illustration for class to have time to work, which was there to pay for my illustration class in the first place.

sorry for posting another of one these thread.. but I do wonder if finishing a half ass work would make me feel better than losing sleep to get nothing hand in to class.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    but I feel like it is extremely cop out
    That's good that you feel that way, because it is.

This is the most important comment you made...

.... which should have been done last week
    Why didn't they get done? You say "work schedule and other things", but it's important specifically why they didn't get done. Are you living on your own and you NEED to work those hours to live. Or do you live with parents or people that can float you a little? I don't know your situation, but I have experienced it.

I remember going to my department lead at art school and I was in a panic because I was working 35 hours a week and with that I just couldn't get my school work done without allnighters. He asked me the same question I asked you...do you NEED to work to survive right now. For me? My answer was "Yes...sorta. I need money to eat, but living is taken care of". So he said simply "Stop eating out at the teriyaki joints and starbucks and drop it to 20".

So I did. And I got my work done.

As for your question at hand, "Should I turn in half-assed work",
    If it were me, I'd get a new package of coffee and pull an all-nighter. I'd get it done to my fullest ability regardless of how much comfortable time I had left and I'd call in sick to work.

But you probably wouldn't do that, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking the question. So if not that, you don't have much option do you? Finish what you can, but don't be surprised if your teacher looks at you with a cocked eye. If you are serious about it, you should also explain WHY it's half-assed and look genuinely sorry that it is as it is. Explain that you are taking measures to make sure it doesn't happen again. And take those measures.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would finish at least one to the 'very finished level', do what you have time with others... show it to the teacher and then beg borrow steal and plead for extra time to finish them 'right. In my classes this seems to work, every teacher so far prefers to give you little extra time to do it right, then to do half assed work. However, if people turn into chronic habitual lates teachers will take notice and knock off a few points

Thanks
    sorry I wasn't being too clear,, I mean I didn't work that many hours per se but its really conflicting with school assignments. The work last week was approved in B/W on Friday. Then the final is due on Monday while I work full weekends.
    so doing my best and sleeping at 2am and then go to work in the morning still didn't get it done for me. It pretty much feels impossible

really discouraging to see others getting good stuff done over the weekend while watching the star wars marathon doing it.

I guess i'll meet it half way,, trying to do good on some classes depend on which one I need the grade more.

Thanks
    Which days do you go to school and for how many hours, also do you be having too much social activities? You could use this time asking this question to work on your school work man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    All I can say is, that workload is absolutely nothing. Better jack up pal because you are going to be in for a real shock when you get your first proper contract.

Don't ever miss deadlines, sacrifice all to get the art done, push your body and mind to the limit if you have to.
    Last edited by Mike Tenebrae; February 3rd, 2012 at 05:29 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's all-nighter time.

There are ways to get through it easier. Instead of finishing one illustration and then moving on to the next, get them all to the point where you know definitively where things are gonna go, what colors you're going to use, and so on. Block them all out and work them all up at the same pace, assembly line style. Nothing is more disheartening than finishing one illustration and feeling bone tired, knowing you have however many more to go. Also, your capacity for actual problem-solving will probably tank past a certain point, so it's better to make all the big decisions for your illustrations earlier on when you still have some stamina left.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepinonespersona View Post
    You could use this time asking this question to work on your school work man.

With this brand of subtle condescending remarks I'm guessing you've been posting too much everywhere on the forum... I've been there but that was a long time ago.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by enrigo View Post
    With this brand of subtle condescending remarks I'm guessing you've been posting too much everywhere on the forum... I've been there but that was a long time ago.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinen

Thanks
    I would end up pulling some all nighters to get them done. Especially if they were for class. I don't if that's just me but grades are everything to me x.x And this is nothing that coffee or redbull can't fix as far as I'm concerned.