E.O.W Round #181: Centaur Rendezvous Point - (Winners: Luis Gama & albino-Z)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: E.O.W Round #181: Centaur Rendezvous Point POLL

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ethax

0 0%
  • Rob Powell

8 9.64%
  • neilpa77

2 2.41%
  • tsabu

0 0%
  • MartinC

9 10.84%
  • CyrusD

0 0%
  • Pixeltuner

3 3.61%
  • Jamesy

15 18.07%
  • 0Hayes

0 0%
  • Vyse

8 9.64%
  • Trespasser

5 6.02%
  • Incinerated

2 2.41%
  • Luis Gama

33 39.76%
  • Howie

9 10.84%
  • AdrianNagorski

0 0%
  • Wheeljack18

2 2.41%
  • Migsta

5 6.02%
  • unruhe

19 22.89%
  • albino-Z

33 39.76%
  • revenebo

14 16.87%
  • merl1n

19 22.89%
  • neutral.

2 2.41%
  • deep city lights

4 4.82%
  • Kalumis

1 1.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round #181: Centaur Rendezvous Point

E.O.W Round #181: Centaur Rendezvous Point

Brief:

In Greek mythology, the centaurs are a race of mythical creatures that are half human and half horse. They are depicted as the head and torso of a man with his waist joined to the horse's withers, where the horse's neck would be. The word 'rendezvous' means a meeting place, an assembly point, a place where centaurs come together. Whether it's for war, for hunting or for leisure is up to your interpretation!

- Please specify which image is final in this thread! I will post your finals in the Voting Thread myself.

DEADLINE: Wednesday, February 1, 2012

ENTRIES:

Ethax

"Hunting meetup"

Rob Powell

neilpa77

tsabu

MartinC

CyrusD

Pixeltuner

Jamesy

0Hayes

Vyse

Trespasser

I thought of centaurs as of nomads, living somewhere in sandy desert. So this is their camp with white striped tents, where centaurs rest while it's too hot outside.

Incinerated

Luis Gama

Howie

AdrianNagorski

Wheeljack18

Migsta

unruhe

albino-Z

revenebo

merl1n

I wanted to make the scene as if it could happen in real world. The terrain is pretty much typical for Greece. Composition should support the feeling of meeting place with all the shapes and lines leading to the center, where centaurs gather.

neutral.

deep city lights

Kalumis

I choose to make a kind of... nest/nursery ? Female centaur come here when she's pregnant and stay until her baby can run with her. So, it's a place of tranquility and peace. They have the forest beside and the water at their 'feet'

Vote for your favorite entries! Feedback coming soon...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ethax I like how the landscape is convincingly calm, serene, almost biblical in a sense. Like a scene out of an old bible movie from the Christianity channel. I didn’t think the cylinder shaped brick structure looked like it fit in here though, it seemed too bland for what it could have been. Of all the designs, why’d you decide to go with this one? I would’ve like you to have taken more risk with the main structure - the focus of the image besides the gathering centaurs.
    Rob Powell Going to have to echo other’s praise for this one, this was nicely done. The texture of the mossy earth has a Grinch’s back hair look to it, a good choice of green. It gives this enviro life and color. The lead up to the memorial/monument gravestone structure looks a little bit like the furthermost point of the giant rock that Simba was hoisted in the air on from the movie The Lion King. Stellar work Rob!
    Neilpa77 Cool.. Is that a black Dr. Manhattan? Lol. Clean and simple perspective on this one.
    Tsabu A little chaotic but undeniably stylish. Not fully sure what’s going on but I’m guessing these are altars of sorts. Tribal sculptures where rituals are undertaken to purify, discipline or pass on the souls of the centaurs to the netherworld which could be represented by the stream that cuts into the cliff and continues into the forest.
    MartinC I like how jam-packed and congested the surrounding foliage is, that gives off an effective sensation like you are standing in that crowded greenery. The samurai centaur spin you put on it definitely makes it more genuine too.
    CyrusD Good start for enviros! This is better than anything I can do so keep doing what you’re doing. You have the right idea; nice attempt at the shadow of the mountain. Is that a sacred tree of some kind in your interpretation?
    Pixeltuner LSD, indeed. Nathaniel trots through his mushroom garden as he is showered with small snowflakes of Kurt Cobain’s dandruff as the world becomes a lot blurrier - haha, nah but this was a different look than your Nazgul Nest entry which had a really distinguishable look. This one seems more lighthearted, like the autumn season, with warm colors and a worry-free mood. Nice work Pixel and thanks for the topic suggestion this week.
    Jamesy This is too irresistible looking. This entry is like a chocolate egg filled with vanilla cream. Just a really… might I say… ‘cute’ animated film look but very well drawn and executed. I’d have to say that the upper 25% of the image doesn’t really compare to the rest of the design below. The ocean and sky need some work but everything else was tight.
    0Hayes The gnashier, grimier side of centaur get togethers. Still in a primordial stage, this one.. The set up is interesting and tells a story even so.
    Vyse Excellent. You pulled off the rendezvous at twilight concept. The atmosphere cool and the moon is bright - there are centaurs prowling about this night, their paces light… very solid entry sir.
    Trespasser Fresh take on the topic, didn’t expect to see anything like this. My favorite part about this has to be the position of the centaur on the right, smoking. The way he is at ease under the shade of the tent is sharply real looking.
    Incinerated Haha, you moved your centaurs a few meters. I have pretty much the same comments as the ones I posted in your sketchbook. Keep participating man I enjoy where you go with your work. Your entry from the Coven of the Dark Oracles was very memorable.
    Luis Gama The centaur shapes in the trees was a brilliant idea. Slightly haunting and epic at the same time. Beautiful entry all around. You got my vote for your originality and execution.
    Howie Lovely traditional appearance of this scene. There’s a smoothness to the entire image, nothing overwhelming the other. Nothing too sophisticated, but just right, leaving me the same sensation as if someone just drank a good cup of coffee after a day working in the snow.
    AdrianNagorski I think scale and colors might’ve been a small issue here because I’m looking everywhere at once, noticing each detail but not exactly sure about the sheer size or comparison of range. Lots of objects, structures and a purple horseshoe that’s a cool idea but offsets the color scheme for me. It looks like you did your best to make this zesty but might’ve over flavored the batch.
    Wheeljack18 Strong composition and perspective. Something I’d want to see in a Lord of the Rings alternative-story movie with some 1800’s orchestra music playing. One suggestion I have that I noticed is that the two centaurs furthermost to the right have their hair in almost the same positions. I know it’s gravity and they’re galloping full speed towards the doorway in the mountain but some variations could add better movement depending on where that would go.
    Migsta One of my favorites this round, you have my vote. A finely spun illustration.
    Unruhe Apocalypse now… goblets in the clouds. The sounds of godlessness are abundant as cranberry napalm washes over the river basin. Okay I’m done with that - as you can see this sparked my imagination. Intoxicating selection of color, this marks yet another thought provoking entry from you.
    albino-Z Pristinely done, the look of an albino-Z environment is unmistakable. This one could be another snapshot from the ‘Guerilla Nest in the Jungle’ photo album. Pleasing to the visual spectrum and well crafted.
    revenebo Nice, nice. A richly accurate take on the topic at hand with a very painterly style. You might have my vote but I haven’t decided yet. It’s close between a lot of you but this is up there, revenebo. Nice work!
    merl1n You succeeded in giving this a rugged, woodly look of old culture and antique portraiture. If old centaurs had art on their walls above their living room areas, this would be an edition that graces it. I secretly know if you spent more time on this it could be great but I’m satisfied with how it looks now.
    neutral. I don’t know if you wanted this to go to poll but I thought it merited being a part of the poll. Not bad at all for a quick rendition. Like the perspective and the dawn lighting.
    Deep city lights Tight work, has the look of a Van Helsing booklet, maybe a Transylvanian or Romanian village where the centaur is the ‘werewolf in London’ figure striking fear in the hearts of the townspeople.
    Kalumis Well, the concept has potential but this was too bare-boned. You should finish this one..

My votes went to:

Migsta, revenebo and Luis Gama!

Honorable mentions: Howie, unruhe, Jamesy, & Vyse... tons of competition this round.

Last edited by Vulgar`; February 2nd, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My votes:
    Vyse — Very atmoshperic and mysterious, I like desaturated look of this picture
    Luis Gama — My favorite part of this is the choice of color. Awesome :)
    Howie — Looks like a book illustration to me. Also it's the only image in the poll with snowy setting. Interesting choice. I would add more snow on rocks and tree branches to support this 'feeling of winter'
    merl1n — One would expect to see something like this as centaur rendezvous point. Classical, but not boring. I love the perspective, colors and overall composition

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trespasser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Luis Gama and Howie. Good job everyone!

Free for commissioned work

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    neilpa77
    I reckoned it was between you, Luis Gama and Albino-Z.
    Luis had a strong idea specific to the title, Albino had a gorgeous painting.
    Voting for you as, despite the lack of colour, you came closet of all entries to achieving both.

Was considering the lighting and compositional possibilities of your piece for at least 20 minutes before I even noticed the sexual symbolism. Incredible!

Good use of the spear pennant to indicate air movement. Rocks on right greatly improved.
    Have you checked out the engravings of John "mad a hatter" Martin, or Dore?

Members who have read this thread: 1