E.O.W Round #182: Death's Lobby - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I got so far. I'm really not sold on the hands yet. I have a few other ideas but I wanted to see what everyone else thought before I scrapped it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this my first EOW that I'm taking part in? Not sure. Anyway:

Started by doing some stuff in the sketchbook. Trying to find some compositions. My method for working in my sketchbook is: Make mistakes in the sketchbook so I don't have to when I sit down to actually work.
    E.O.W Round #182: Death's Lobby

Then I did some random thumbs, I've been meaning to do some anyway (This is great fodder for compositions for months methinks)

Based off the thumbs I've come up with A and B

A
    B

Good luck to everyone. Lovin what I'm seeing so far!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mordecaidesign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A bit of direction needed..

Duman : I like the silhouette of death and the hands...maybe too handy? How about throwing in a couple of cheeks...of the face variety? Also I think the image might be a lot more powerful without the thingies on the side, or at least putting them into a bit of shadow maybe?

mordecaidesign holy thumbs Batman! I'm always so precious with my thumbs, I need to really whip them out like this!!! I like both, but think A tips B slightly, though I don't have a sense of the enviro design in terms of the whole death theme yet.

Speaking of which I was hoping to get some help and wondered what people thought between these? I'm teetering between 1 and 4 but not convinced either way.
    1 is kinda gothic-y medieval bone cathedral etc
    4 is more contemporary, though I would need to death it up a bit more. Note the idea is that this is the waiting hall before being summoned down into the pit or up the stairs into the light kinda thing...

Last edited by monkeybread; February 7th, 2012 at 03:56 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeybread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful stuff guys! Love how the theme is pushing everyone.

Heres my concept. Still dunno in wich direction i wanna go...experimenting and having fun.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luis Gama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mordecaidesign: Good man, you inspired me to go back to the drawingboard and blast out a batch of random thumbnails as well. Just to explore composition and not go with my first or second idea (which I generally do a bit too often)

I have couple of faves, but not sure yet.

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like Monkeybread said: holy thumbnails batman! Good stuff in here @pixeltuner

Keep these for use in further projects.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mordecaidesign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another batch of thumbs, and one of those last ones developed into something.
    It's actually one of the simplest but I felt I could do something with it storywise.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You went nuts with the thumbs, good job! I like the one you developed, think has great potential but atm is kinda tight, maybe expand the right part. Also design wise having letters on top of each other is normaly a bad idea, its way better to just write sideways. Keep up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You went nuts with the thumbs, good job!

I like the one you developed, think has great potential but atm is kinda tight, maybe expand the right part.
    Also design wise having letters on top of each other is normaly a bad idea, its way better to just write sideways.
    Keep up!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Luis Gama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Gama View Post
    You went nuts with the thumbs, good job!

I like the one you developed, think has great potential but atm is kinda tight, maybe expand the right part.
    Also design wise having letters on top of each other is normaly a bad idea, its way better to just write sideways.
    Keep up!
    Thx! I'll keep the letters on top of each other though, it's a reference to those crappy neon motel signs.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap-oly you guys suck. I'm shall now post....one...bill-yion thumbnails...dun dun dunnnn
    Awesome work pixeltuner. There are quite a few gems in there. Luis Gama has a point about it being "tight". Compositionally this works, but the sign is taking up a lot of focus especially if you suck at deciphering backwards letters like me! If that's your goal this is fine, but I guess leaves less to go around for the surrounding environment. I could imagine seeing more environment or a larger tower or something if the canvas was extended as Luis suggests.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeybread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybread View Post
    holy crap-oly you guys suck. I'm shall now post....one...bill-yion thumbnails...dun dun dunnnn
    Awesome work pixeltuner. There are quite a few gems in there. Luis Gama has a point about it being "tight". Compositionally this works, but the sign is taking up a lot of focus especially if you suck at deciphering backwards letters like me! If that's your goal this is fine, but I guess leaves less to go around for the surrounding environment. I could imagine seeing more environment or a larger tower or something if the canvas was extended as Luis suggests.
    I might make the sign a tad smaller or widen the canvas, or both. I'll just experiment.

And yeah, I think have quite enough thumbs to entertain myself the coming time.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's a start.

As artists, we have to learn to see.
    Sketchybook

24. The Following User Says Thank You to snippet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Death Lobby

Just kicking out some ideas. I wasn't sure if "Death" was an actual entity or a place, so I chose to mockup places where those who met death waited. I might try doing some concepts for Death's (an entity) lobby (waiting room).

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    monkeybread-I might go with the first one. It's mostly based on personal preference, but that seems to fit the topic the most to my eyes.

Luis Gama- I'm really digging the colors I'm seeing in that piece. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Pixeltuner- A pretty cool concept. It will be interesting to see how you deal with the massive crowd and the style of the little control room. Love the huge amount of thumbs. What kind of brushes are you using for them?

Updated image, still not sure of the hand idea. Might try to do a variation with wailing faces if I have time.
    I would love to know how to improve this, so thoughts and critiques are more than welcome.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't have much time to work on this tonight. Less than 45 minutes I think?

I think the hardest part is interpreting the thumbnail and not adding too much or removing too much from it.

Still trying to stay loose.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mordecaidesign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duman: Thanks! just some custom 'tech' brushes I made myself for the most part, a soft round white set so screen for the haze, and some regular flat brushes for ground planes etc.

And considering your piece: It might be a good idea to detail the statues a bit more, right now it's a bit unclear what they are. It also might be a good idea to introduce a second a bit more complementary colour in the foreground, just to break things out of the green a bit.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving this topic and what pieces its been bringing out!
    Jarkuzy: I must say its a good start, although I can't help but see it as the black gate from lotr, but hey, I suppose that's not a bad thing!
    Trespasser: The levels are good in this piece even though its in such an early stage. Btw is that a train coming towards them =P
    unruhe: If any topic deserves an abstract piece it really has got to be this one, can't wait to see more!
    Vyse: Lovely soft colours in this one, It looks like that portal (thing) has just opened up and twisted around what looks like a road, there's a great of story in this concept, loving it
    monkeybread: Number 4 stands out the most to me, its a proper waiting room and I can imagine like fire and demon hands crawling up from the hole in the bottom right. But yeah as you said, it would need a little bit more catering towards death (bone structures and ravens are always a good one to aim for)
    Luis Gama: Wow the colours are really cool in this one, not too sure about the composition though, possibly too much happening in the foreground with them pillars?
    Pixeltuner: Now that's allot of thumbs! Liking the concept so far, I agree with changing the lettering and probably making the building smaller or even closer to the mid ground?
    snippet: Cool concept, it's very dragon den.. I can just see some soul walking in and having to pitch to a death why he shouldn't have to go to hell etc.
    Razorleaf: Both interpretations should work. My favourite so far is number 3, although some kind of judgement system would be cool to see in it.
    Duman: I must agree with pixeltuner, them statues need more detail. Another thing you might want to think about (although its not a bad thing) maybe adding something to break up the symmetry like two different looking statues or maybe even a simple foreground element.
    mordecaidesign: Very nice trend you started with all of them great thumbnails! That design is pretty nice that you chose, the levels are really good.. they draw your eye right form the character to the archway giving chance for plenty of story along the way.

Well that was fun, I've never really given any propper feedback like that before. Hope at least something I said has helped someone =]

(p.s. sorry if I missed anybody out!)

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 0Hayes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving this topic and what pieces its been bringing out!

Jarkuzy: I must say its a good start, although I can't help but see it as the black gate from lotr, but hey, I suppose that's not a bad thing!

Trespasser: The levels are good in this piece even though its in such an early stage. Btw is that a train coming towards them =P

unruhe: If any topic deserves an abstract piece it really has got to be this one, can't wait to see more!

Vyse: Lovely soft colours in this one, It looks like that portal (thing) has just opened up and twisted around what looks like a road, there's a great of story in this concept, loving it

monkeybread: Number 4 stands out the most to me, its a proper waiting room and I can imagine like fire and demon hands crawling up from the hole in the bottom right. But yeah as you said, it would need a little bit more catering towards death (bone structures and ravens are always a good one to aim for)

Luis Gama: Wow the colours are really cool in this one, not too sure about the composition though, possibly too much happening in the foreground with them pillars?

Pixeltuner: Now that's allot of thumbs! Liking the concept so far, I agree with changing the lettering and probably making the building smaller or even closer to the mid ground?

snippet: Cool concept, it's very dragon den.. I can just see some soul walking in and having to pitch to a death why he shouldn't have to go to hell etc.

Razorleaf: Both interpretations should work. My favourite so far is number 3, although some kind of judgement system would be cool to see in it.

Duman: I must agree with pixeltuner, them statues need more detail. Another thing you might want to think about (although its not a bad thing) maybe adding something to break up the symmetry like two different looking statues or maybe even a simple foreground element.

mordecaidesign: Very nice trend you started with all of them great thumbnails! That design is pretty nice that you chose, the levels are really good.. they draw your eye right form the character to the archway giving chance for plenty of story along the way.

Well that was fun, I've never really given any proper feedback like that before. Hope at least something I said has helped someone =]

(p.s. sorry if I missed anybody out)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bashing ideas around. Messing with colours and composition, wish me luck D:
    This is going to take a lot of time...

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BHCS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, here´s my entry, was kinda quick but decided for the speed and mood, had fun!

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Luis Gama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool, Luis Gama! =D

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp this is going terribly.

Back to studies...

44. The Following User Says Thank You to BHCS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my WIP so far.

Up or down ?

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my attempts. This turned out to be kind of a difficult subject for me and things got even harder as great wips kept on being posted on the thread. So, nice job
    Couldn't get out of the idea of the clock and the judgement. Even tried Alchemy which turned out to be great but only for future use.

E.O.W Round #182: Death's LobbyE.O.W Round #182: Death's Lobby

Finally settled on something - the "big death" is meant to be a big statue and a "machine for judgement", impersonal and automatic, weights deeds, and punishes or rewards.
    This is a lobby as the place through which afterlife is entered.

48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Callergi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hmmmm. a little dark.

Adding some blues tonight

50. The Following User Says Thank You to mordecaidesign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is shaping up to be a good round

Vyse- that birdie thingy you're leading our eye too has a really tiny visual cloud, might detract from the image... digging it so far tho.

Callergi- carefull about loosing to much to blur. Color wise its abit generic but i guess it'll work, I really liked the initial sketch.

mordecaidesign-
    a bit dark as you say, visually it works very well ... not sure how you'll incorporate a lobby feel in this... Looking forward to see what you'll do.

MartinC- looks interesting, a little scratchy do to all the thin lines tho.

BHCS- keep at it dude, the perspective shows promise

Luis Gama- an interestering view on the subject, the hour glas' shape gets a little lost right where it intersects with the courseway, well executed.

Duman- those statue thingies on the sides should be removed or detailed as well as the rest of the image... That said I like your stuff so far.

Pixeltuner-
    28# looks nice, you should finish it.

I'm gonna crit the rest of ya if I have time later

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

52. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Incinerated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm seeing some pretty awesome work out there. A lot of interesting takes on the topic.

mordecaidesign- The environment uses a lot of interesting shapes. However, I'm having trouble seeing the "waiting room" aspect of it. That could be cleared up with more definition, but I just thought you should know.

Callergi- Some really cool thumb designs. The environment is also looking great, some really nice colors, angle and design choice. One minor critique is that Death's face is looking...not menacing enough. Maybe the face should be more shrouded under the hood. Have some smoke pour out of his mouth!

MartinC- I'm digging the color transitions and the violent shapes.

BHCS- I also like the colors in this piece. Some unique choices for the topic. Right now I think the piece could use a little definition so we know exactly what we're looking at.

Vyse- I am really digging the colors at work here, and the overall design is sweet. Over the edges of the pit, however, are structures that look a lot like cannons. I'm not really digging those...

Here is another update. Got rid of the statues. I think the idea was cool, but I don't have the time to take them where they would need to go in order to fit in. I keep fighting with myself on how minimalistic I want this room to look. Any thoughts?

54. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duman, your concept is looking good, from a technical point of view..i think that if you lighten up the value of the hands it would help the idea of a material standing between them and the viewer...and add scratches like you did in the corners etc. Good job!

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Luis Gama For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.