Traditional to Digital

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Traditional to Digital

In spite of having an old Wacom, I only focused on traditional art until now. It was a lot cheaper, more intuitive and could draw anywhere I wanted. I lost the nib of the pen eventually and forgot about digital until last Christmas, when I got an awesome Bamboo Fun.

I'd hate to turn this one into a waste of money, and after seeing all the potential digital art actually has I am really looking forward to using my tablet more. It's frustrating though. Having only focused on drawing lines for three years and I don't know anything about painting or color theory, nothing.

I would like to ask for help to anyone, the number of controls and tools Photoshop has is overwhelming and it's impossible for me to even know where to start or what to use.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Many great artists barely use all these large amount of tools and settings.

Learn the basics of layers and their properties which is simple, then learn the paintbrush, mess around with flow and opacity (of course the eraser tool) and your pretty set for the basics. Also remember a few standard shortcuts, everyone knows Cntrl Z for undo. Alt brings up the eye dropper to pick colors, I made a couple shortcuts for brush size which help too.

But if you can do traditional you should grasp digital fairly quick.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetualInsomnia View Post
    In spite of having an old Wacom, I only focused on traditional art until now. It was a lot cheaper, more intuitive and could draw anywhere I wanted. I lost the nib of the pen eventually and forgot about digital until last Christmas, when I got an awesome Bamboo Fun.

I'd hate to turn this one into a waste of money, and after seeing all the potential digital art actually has I am really looking forward to using my tablet more. It's frustrating though. Having only focused on drawing lines for three years and I don't know anything about painting or color theory, nothing.

I would like to ask for help to anyone, the number of controls and tools Photoshop has is overwhelming and it's impossible for me to even know where to start or what to use.
    When in doubt always RTFM!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just started to learn digital painting with "Fantasy Portraits with Melanie Stimmell in Photohop top secret". Is it a good tutorial video? She seems to control the opacity of the colors a lot and pick the colors from painted surface many times. Is it normal in digital painting? I've just got curious ever since I watched the video above saying pick the colors just like picking the colors in real mediums-he doesn't seem to change the opacity a lot. It's really hard to find tutorials providing color pallets in working files. Is there any tutorials that provide color pallets and show the steps little by little? I'm sorry for being needy.

Last edited by Presentliving; February 2nd, 2012 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetualInsomnia View Post
    Having only focused on drawing lines for three years and I don't know anything about painting or color theory, nothing.
    Also actually painting in traditional wouldn't hurt either. As in buy tubes of black and white acrylic, and start painting stuff from real life. You won't get distracted by tools or shortcuts and the experience from that can be used pretty directly in digital painting. Because judging from this post this isn't a problem of going to digital as much as you starting painting after only working with lines.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.