Thanks

Organization and time management

I recently got to college and I have been trying to become a better student. I did not do poorly on my first semester, but I feel like I could have been better. My big problem is organization and time management, mostly because I was a terrible student my whole life and college is the first time I truly want to succeed academically.

So I was wondering if anyone has tips or things that work for them. Its hard to juggle so much sometimes.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Is this a regular college or art based?

Only real tips I can say is do all your work, do it early, procrastination isn't what nets you good grades despite what the internet wants you to think with stories of last minute all nighters and getting an 'A'. Any difficult class you try that it's going to show in your work.

Also research your teachers ahead of time on something like ratemyprofessor.com, Last I took classes I had like a 3.8 and the only class I got a C in was because of a TERRIBLE teacher. 60% of the class failed, no one got an 'A' and it was basic Biology. Nothing you could do would help you succeed in the class, nothing from notes was on the test, obscure stuff from the book he never said to study was on the test. Terrible class from terrible teaching. Teachers make a big difference.

If your in an art based career remember to hone your skills on your own time, going through the motions for the grades isn't the point in an art career, your up against everyone else and the more you work at it, the better the portfolio, the better your chances. Unlike other careers where you can net a job just from good grades, some experience and some extra curriculars.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    I recently got to college and I have been trying to become a better student. I did not do poorly on my first semester, but I feel like I could have been better. My big problem is organization and time management, mostly because I was a terrible student my whole life and college is the first time I truly want to succeed academically.

So I was wondering if anyone has tips or things that work for them. Its hard to juggle so much sometimes.

I believe heavily in the idea of a "Secular Sabbath"-- take a day each week where you DON'T DO ANYTHING school or work related.

Thanks
    Make a list, figure out how much time you need for each task, prioritize, make a schedule, and stick to it. You have to budget your time, a bit like you have to budget your income.

Thanks
    Here is advice from a former slacker.

Do your homework on the same day you get it, or as soon as possible.

Whenever you are about to procrastinate, imagine how fulfilled, happy, and proud of yourself you would be if you didn't procrastinate.

Imagine all the money you are investing in your education. You are lucky to have education!

Make friends who care about their school work. Friends influence you for better or worse.

Make a week schedule that is easy to read, and stick to it. I have this as my computer background and it really helps. I made it with Excel;
    Attachment 1413733

And KEEP AWAY FROM BEING TIRED NO MATTER WHAT. Tiredness will be a huge obstacle in keeping on track.

I was going to say, just like Kamber Parrk, a Sabbath day really helps. I work all week and have plenty of homework, but still, I reserve Sabbath for myself.
    Have fun a lot, take breaks, play a lot. It sharpens the mind.
    No matter what, do not skip food. Food is fuel. Trying to work and live only on ramen is like trying to run a car across canyons without oil.