The Art of Freelancing - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Freelancing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be paying this 57 bucks in my local currency.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    I kinda find it funny that you say that, because all of the information you are giving is common sense, and free online. It seems like you are being nice and giving people info they want, but are you really? Having people pay $60 for stuff they could find for free.
    I dunno, it seems just like printing a textbook to me. And it just isn't a crime to print a textbook, even a virtual one. Even if you can find all the information in it for free at the library. It also doesn't matter what you spend those textbook profits on, whether it's student loans or a boatful of swimsuit models and gin, it doesn't make you a bad person.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol I love how you are all saying it worth the money blah blah, time is money blah blah. Funny thing is, none of you are ready, and won't be for a good enough for while to even begin to work freelance.
    1. you are not at the point where you make your living by freelancing
    2. you probably won't benefit much from this video, why bother typing here
    3. stop being an argumentative bitch, you'd do better for yourself if you spent all that time drawing
    4. go away.
    5. and consider attending an art school, I can't see how it will hurt you, just looking at your sketchbook. maybe those livestreams are not exactly as good.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's $60 because he has art school bills to pay. Even though he would make more money and help more people if he lower the cost, but whatever.
    That's the biggest pile of inane elephant dung I've heard in a long time.

I kinda find it funny that you say that, because all of the information you are giving is common sense, and free online. It seems like you are being nice and giving people info they want, but are you really? Having people pay $60 for stuff they could find for free. I'm not saying your a corporate pig, idk why you would even mention it. Do I think you really care about giving people information? No, I think you want the money because you aren't getting enough from freelance to pay your school bills, and you want the most amount of money the fastest. Why do I say that, because you could price it for $5/6/7/8/9/10 and make the same amount of money that you would for $60 and help a lot more people. I'm not saying it's not worth money, I'm sure it's a great resource, but is it worth $60? I'd say no because 1. all the information can be found for free 2. You've been Freelancing with any success for like 5 minutes, and can't offer multiply perspectives on different Industries. 3. And you aren't famous enough to have your name validate the price of $60. I'm not hating, I just want to know the truth about your price, if you need the money just say, don't beat around the bush.
    Oh brother... yer one of those....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect
    *headdesk*

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    Oh brother... yer one of those....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect
    *headdesk*
    I wonder if there's a scientific term for inability to evaluate an average art student pile of bills, out of school spare time sacrifice and the resulting skill/mindset improvement.
    I can tentatively call it Devianttårten-Thepiratebäyerheim effect, but DA doesn't deserve to be bashed everytime because there're far worse examples right here.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    I wonder if there's a scientific term for inability to evaluate an average art student pile of bills, out of school spare time sacrifice and the resulting skill/mindset improvement.
    I can tentatively call it Devianttårten-Thepiratebäyerheim effect, but DA doesn't deserve to be bashed everytime because there're far worse examples right here.
    I call it 'shaken teenager and tweenager' syndrome... My stepdaughter is 24, and I also raised my stepson till he was 19. Man, do they know everything about everything.... and they are major experts on life, business, economy, education, and few other things.....just ask them.

Makes you want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them till the brain damage improves their thinking (figuratively, that is).

Thankfully, most of them grow out of it ... eventually. I was rather pleasantly surprised with growth my stepdaughter went through while she was away in college. Now she even gets her dad to clean up after himself on occasion LOL! There's so much more to it then just academics... Of course, those who never experienced it are the biggest experts. Sheesh!

I heard a lot of them congregate at dA forums. I looked over their forums some time ago and ran away screaming. The site gallery system, I like quite a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Diarum, I really don't think you belong or deserve to be a member here after your last intentionally insulting posts.
    Why are you acting like this? If you don't want it, don't buy it and just move on.

Sorry to dirty up your thread Noah. Thanks again for taking the time to make this video available for us.

Last edited by Star Eater; February 8th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    all of the information you are giving is common sense, and free online.
    lol I was just messing with you Bradley, I wouldn't pirate it. But I still can't buy it
    Sorry, did I miss something? First you say you can't buy the thing, but then talk about how everything in those five hours is something you have already heard?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    That's me in a nutshell. My excuse is that I was a spoiled child and that some adults in my family made me feel like I was a god. It doesn't really do you any favors if you have to go out into the real world with those delusions--I mean, some people remain insulated by their social status for their entire lives but for someone like me who was cast out of that fantasy world it is like descending into hell.

It has given me a lot to think about regarding how I would raise my own children; I definitely don't want to give them too much self confidence, and I want to make sure they learn to work for what they want.

On topic: I vanity published a novel and advertized it at a forum once. I was also trolled by someone who said they would wait for the free download. I guess that gives us something in common. (to the OP)

Best of luck with this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Sorry, did I miss something? First you say you can't buy the thing, but then talk about how everything in those five hours is something you have already heard?
    lol I found it funny. First he jokes about pirating it, then he says he can't afford it and then he tries to get a 52 dollar discount by saying the video should cost 5 bucks.

The art of negotiation :V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for this video noah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Diarum, I really don't think you belong or deserve to be a member here after your last intentionally insulting posts.
    PFFFF. If being insulting was grounds for "deserving" to be here half the mods and people in C&C would be gone. I wouldn't be so quick to shuffle members out the door unless you want this place to turn into useless circle jerk. Given half the threads in the Lounge, Diarum's "insults" barely register on the offendometer.

This is a pile of censoring, group-think crap.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    PFFFF. If being insulting was grounds for "deserving" to be here half the mods and people in C&C would be gone. I wouldn't be so quick to shuffle members out the door unless you want this place to turn into useless circle jerk. Given half the threads in the Lounge, Diarum's "insults" barely register on the offendometer.

This is a pile of censoring, group-think crap.
    Guess I'm not as jaded as I like to think I am. Was just surprised at the vitriol being spewed over someone selling something they put together themselves, culminating into saying that anybody who wants to support Noah has not got what it takes to be a freelancer? This is not the C & C section or the lounge, just a guy selling his video to help other people.

Last edited by Star Eater; February 8th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno, it seems just like printing a textbook to me. And it just isn't a crime to print a textbook, even a virtual one.
    Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but I think you're really mistaken.

Last edited by Craig D; February 8th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess I'm not as jaded as I like to think I am. Was just surprised at the vitriol being spewed over someone selling something they put together themselves, culminating into saying that nobody who wants to support Noah has what it takes to be a freelancer? This is not the C & C section or the lounge, just a guy selling his video to help other people.
    The whole thing was ridiculous. Right from "I'm going to pirate it" to "make this cheaper" to "WELL YOU'RE A BIG POO POO HEAD PROFITEER AND ALL YOU GUYS SUCK." But if a man is going to say dumb things then he ought to be allowed to, especially if there's one or two useful things hidden somewhere in his posts.

This is not the C & C section or the lounge, just a guy selling his video to help other people.
    This is just a guy selling his video. Let's leave motivations out of this because they can't be proven anyway, I'm a total cynic and I find people going on about how kind a businessman is to provide a product to be a bit much. BUT I think it's perfectly fine for people to do business whatever their motivations are, and if people find the video useful (or not) then I'd like to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but I think you're really mstaken.
    Well, what's your argument?

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're saying it's OK to copy a textbook you're wrong. That's my argument.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The whole thing was ridiculous. Right from "I'm going to pirate it" to "make this cheaper" to "WELL YOU'RE A BIG POO POO HEAD PROFITEER AND ALL YOU GUYS SUCK." But if a man is going to say dumb things then he ought to be allowed to, especially if there's one or two useful things hidden somewhere in his posts.
    Fair enough, still don't like it but I see your point! I'm too much of a girl pants these days anyway. Apologies everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're saying it's OK to copy a textbook you're wrong. That's my argument.
    I think you just misunderstood my post. I'm saying "it's okay to write a textbook and ask money for it, even if that information is available for free elsewhere".

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And it just isn't a crime to print a textbook, even a virtual one. .

Sorry, I got wrapped up in the wrong context of this discussion and thought you meant something different there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, I got wrapped up in the wrong context of this discussion and thought you meant something different there.
    Nah, that's fine. I should have probably included more context.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    On topic: I vanity published a novel and advertized it at a forum once. I was also trolled by someone who said they would wait for the free download. I guess that gives us something in common. (to the OP)

Best of luck with this.
    I make 3D content for a living...
    every. single. one. of. my. creations. can. be. found. on. torrent. sites.

Usually at the ratio of 10 warez downloads per one sale. It's rather nauseating.
    *kitty shakes fist at warezers*

Anyway... sorry, I'm off topic... *blush*

This is just a guy selling his video. Let's leave motivations out of this because they can't be proven anyway, I'm a total cynic and I find people going on about how kind a businessman is to provide a product to be a bit much. BUT I think it's perfectly fine for people to do business whatever their motivations are, and if people find the video useful (or not) then I'd like to know that.
    the 'thanks' are complimentary, because most people here like Noah and respect his knowledge. Don't read too far into it, like it's meant to be charity.

It *is* a helpful product, as opposed to indulgently gratifying stuff, like chocolate, which you regret eating shortly afterwards.
    Helpful and commercial are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Conniekat8; February 9th, 2012 at 12:15 AM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and to bring the thread focus back on Noah's work, here's a copy and paste from Noah's first post:

You can check out the full video here.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    ...well this was unexpected.
    Really? Are you new to the internet Noah?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wilson View Post
    Really? Are you new to the internet Noah?
    Well if I've apparently been freelancing for 5 minutes. So I guess I've been using the internet for at most an hour or so.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lol..sorry this thread was quite entertaining to read, common sense prevails..yay!

On the subject of the video, this is just what I've been looking for. I've scoured this site and other forums, watched all the interviews on Schoolism.com and sketchoholic and bought most vids from TAD and there's still loads I don't know because like people have said in previous posts most advice is from people who are well established and they tend to gloss over the beginnings and make it sound quite easy, which to some it might be, but it certainly isn't for me. Plus I would totally have bought this at college if it was available, all we had for business advice was a crappy GNVQ.

Will buy this vid as soon as I have the cash thanks Noah!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I came back here to say I've been through the five hours and like it very much despite the opinions of some. I've been a graphic designer in newspapers for around 12 years now and I've freelanced a little but I've never come across the solid information I've found all in one spot.
    Sure there is stuff there I've heard before but it never hurts to hear it again. This isn't just info on freelancing though, this from Noah's point of view and his experience so far. This to me is better than most books I've read which have such a general, mundane way of providing the info. (I'm pretty sure most of the info in the books could be found online as well - yet I still paid for them).

I am especially impressed considering Noah has only been on the net about an hour. Thanks again.

"If you're going through hell, keep going". Winston Churchill

sketchbook - matt makes art - inspiration tumblr

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madbot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel I must leap to the defense - I myself bought the video a few days ago... the very next morning, before I'd even gotten a chance to unzip the download, I got an offer for the largest freelance job I've had in a couple months. COINCIDENCE? No... that's what I call results.

Not to mention your money buys five hours of Noah's voice caressing your ear, sweeter than the warbling song of any baby canary - cheap at twice the price.

malice, whimsy, and illustration.
    www.wyliebeckert.com

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wylielise For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    $57 is a more than fair price for 5 hours of a professional's time and experience.
    Personally I would buy the video if it had subtitles/captions. And of course I would pay extra for that. (Being close to deaf, I don't understand videos even in my native language.)

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't going to buy this because honestly it sounded like I've heard most of it before.. but this thread won me over and changed my mind. So I'd just like to thank you, Diarum, for keeping this thread alive and reminding me to give Noah my $57 in exchange for this wonderfully helpful package of information.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8