Art: Prospective illustration student's portfolio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prospective illustration student's portfolio

Hep!

Actually, I've already had to submit this, but would like to hear some comments anyway since I'm quite tensed up for what the decision will be.

I was unlucky enough to only be able to apply to one uni. You had to send approx12-15 pieces with certain diversity in the mediums AND media, meaning that even though I'm shooting for illustration majour there I still had to add some designs & a video. I'm only going to add the illustrations here though, so the count will be lower.

NOTION: One of the files could be a pdf in which you could add step by steps & sketches, so all of my figure drawings are there. I'll just post one example up. I tend to work rather loosely with pencil though, should've propably done some more strict ones.

Also, because of the high count of the required stuff I had to include some not-so-awesome pictures too, but guess they understand it.

(acrylics)

(the one above is a bit older one, but I wanted to include it anyway for it's conceptual purposes.)

(reference)

(reference work)

So please, just comment whatever comes to your mind! Everything helps and counts towards next year if I am not accepted.

Last edited by Eelis Kyttänen; January 31st, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,903 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think your work shows solid, beginning level concepts and abilities, with decent diversity and awareness. So I wouldn't worry too much about getting accepted...don't know anything about the program/uni you're applying to of course, but your work shows plenty of potential. Good luck!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work here. What kind of Help are you looking for. As an entry level portfolio, I'd say that this is the best one that I've seen posted on CA so far.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    I think your work shows solid, beginning level concepts and abilities, with decent diversity and awareness. So I wouldn't worry too much about getting accepted...don't know anything about the program/uni you're applying to of course, but your work shows plenty of potential. Good luck!
    Thanks Jeff! Just an art university with mediocre status up in Canada, illustration as major. They had no strict requirements like "figures & drawings from life", but along the lines "You should submit your best and most recent work that represents your personal interests and your abilities." So nothing special.

Good work here. What kind of Help are you looking for. As an entry level portfolio, I'd say that this is the best one that I've seen posted on CA so far.
    Thanks to you too wheel, was looking excatly for that kind of analysis you and jeff posted regarding the quality measured on the entry portfolio standards. I was rather vague about that in the OP, sorry!

Onward!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No Problem. Which Canadian University are you applying to? I have some experience with the Canadian Post Secondary system as I did my foundatin at ACAD got my BFA at Concordia. Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljack18 View Post
    No Problem. Which Canadian University are you applying to? I have some experience with the Canadian Post Secondary system as I did my foundatin at ACAD got my BFA at Concordia. Drop me a line if you have any questions.
    Applied to ECUAD in Vancouver, http://www.ecuad.ca/.

Great! Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you when something pops to mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh Emily Carr. It has a good Rep and it seems that they have expanded their programs since I last checked them out. The easiest way for you to tell if the school is actually any good is to go to a grad Show and also walk the halls and see what caliber of work they are putting out. Check out Alumni if you can and see what they are up to. I've been to a couple of grad shows at Emily Carr and I thought it was a joke. Please don't take offence by that last statement. This was over 10 years ago and the first time was in 97. At that time they didn't have or were just developing their animation program. Anyways, EC was always spoken of as Gods Gift to Art School here in Calgary so when I went down and checked it out I was hugely disappointed and brought back down to earth. What ever you do, If you want a job, Stay out of a Fine Arts program and get into a design / illustration discipline. Anyways, I'm starting to Jack your thread so I'll back off. Good Luck!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljack18 View Post
    Ahh Emily Carr. It has a good Rep and it seems that they have expanded their programs since I last checked them out. The easiest way for you to tell if the school is actually any good is to go to a grad Show and also walk the halls and see what caliber of work they are putting out. Check out Alumni if you can and see what they are up to. I've been to a couple of grad shows at Emily Carr and I thought it was a joke. Please don't take offence by that last statement. This was over 10 years ago and the first time was in 97. At that time they didn't have or were just developing their animation program. Anyways, EC was always spoken of as Gods Gift to Art School here in Calgary so when I went down and checked it out I was hugely disappointed and brought back down to earth. What ever you do, If you want a job, Stay out of a Fine Arts program and get into a design / illustration discipline. Anyways, I'm starting to Jack your thread so I'll back off. Good Luck!
    No problem, it's completely relevant to the issue at hand.

I'm actually an international applicant from Finland, so I don't sadly have the opportunity to check the universities out directly. Thus it's always nice to get some objective insights from the natives. Most information on the net tends to be biased and it's quite hard to find real experiences when the school is smaller.

When I explored the different departments in Canada/USA (Sheridan, OCAD, RISD & co.) I had this backidea in mind that the actual status & quality of the school wouldnt matter to me that much (even though EC has old history and overally good reputation). All of the medium-quality schools teach up the basics nicely anyway & rest you can fill in from places such as CA.

Also, it should be easier to get your hands on scholarships and stuff if the school's overall quality is average or under that. Not to forget loads cheaper tuition fees that come with goverment funded schools.

Plus, Vancouver and BC region is propably the best as it can get as a study environment for me, so I really didn't think too much about the quality of teaching as that's always replaceable from somewhere else if you just apply some critical thinking. And work your butt off.

I'm indeed shooting for freelancer illustration career, so FA is completely no-no. So illustration major on the year three it is.

Last edited by Eelis Kyttänen; February 2nd, 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So why Canada? I must admit that you made a good choice as the ladies get better looking the further west you get! Sounds like you have a plan and you'll succeed if you put the work in. I've been to Van many times so if you have any questions, fire away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Canada? Just...Canada! It was somewhat easier to get into it's choice of schools than to USA's, as Canada's is more "limited". Also, I am rather environments oriented (trying to make that my niche if just possible), so Canada in that regard is probably the best it can get. Not to forget the nice climate around VA that reminds of home.

And of course, EC appealed to me from the heaps of universities I had on my list.

I'll surely keep that in mind! Luckily I wont probably be in for too big culture shock, but some practical questions that I cannot find answer on from the net I'll gladly direct to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just dropping this here! I was admitted to EC. Thanks for your input.

And the journey is just beginning.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.