Perspective.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Perspective.

No matter what tuorial I read or how someone explains I just dont get it. O course if im drawing at an angle I can do it but with picture references I can not. I dont understand how to do it with real places or the lines that make p the guidelines. Ive read tons of tutorials but it still makes no sense. Could someone help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is probably because most of the tutorials are focusing on making parallel cubes and stuff, where in real world it doesn't work that good (you probably realized by now that not everything is parallel, right?). So, you should make different vanishing points objects that are standing in different angles, here is a tutorial for it post no.7

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...erspective+101

You could also use this book

David Chelsea : Perspective for Comic Book Artists

It doesn't look good on the first look, but it contains great explanations for one, two and three point perspective.

Last edited by Krilce!; January 31st, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Krilce! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the chelsea book just finished it it helped alot. Still iffy though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regardless of Xros having the book already, can I say that it's kind of shitty putting out a download link to the book? It's worth every cent of its price and readily available and if people want it they should pay for it.

Can't do much more than recommend Chelsea again. Great stuff. And I recently discovered Google SketchUp, it's helping me figure out how space works, even though it's more of a small aid rather than teaching all about perspective.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took this link from this forum, didn't know it's illegal. I'll remove it then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I can't imagine that it's legal/ethical to take a book from the net for free if it's still available through shops and downloading it hurts the artist's income. Maybe whoever you got the link from didn't think about it either. (Or it's legal for some reason but I can't imagine why, I doubt Chelsea put it up for download?)

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really got the book it helped I just cant transition with my own backgrounds like buildings and stuff. I think it may by a lack of ability to design on my part.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just practice, build a simple block, then add windows and doors, and there you have it. Try to analyse other people's work, you'll get it once you start practicing. You can also get Andrew Loomis's Successful Drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Linear perspective really only applies to man-made things...buildings, machines, etc. It's about parallel and perpendicular. Most houses are...most city buildings and blocks. You just have to work with perspective until it clicks...when it does it's like one of those puzzlers that once you know the answer, makes you wonder why you didn't get it.

Advice: Keep it very simple...make it fun.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Linear perspective really only applies to man-made things...buildings, machines, etc. It's about parallel and perpendicular. Most houses are...most city buildings and blocks. You just have to work with perspective until it clicks...when it does it's like one of those puzzlers that once you know the answer, makes you wonder why you didn't get it.

Advice: Keep it very simple...make it fun.
    I think what the OP is saying is that he can construct things from his head in correct perspective, but finds it difficult to apply that knowledge when drawing real buildings. Do we just draw what we see (if we draw accurately the perspective will surely then also be correct) or do we try to see the perspective lines on the real buildings and determine their vanishing points (something I for one find virtually impossible to do)? How do we bring together the perspective constructions in textbooks and the often far more complicated real buildings, and should we even try?

I think this is a question similar to the one on whether, when drawing a figure from life, we should use our knowledge of anatomy or just draw what we see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    Regardless of Xros having the book already, can I say that it's kind of shitty putting out a download link to the book? It's worth every cent of its price and readily available and if people want it they should pay for it.

Can't do much more than recommend Chelsea again. Great stuff. And I recently discovered Google SketchUp, it's helping me figure out how space works, even though it's more of a small aid rather than teaching all about perspective.
    No, when you poor and can't really afford it because of other needs, that are important for surivival. ( I am hope i didn't come off rude or mean)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want a Rolls Royce, but I am poor......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepinonespersona View Post
    No, when you poor and can't really afford it because of other needs, that are important for surivival. ( I am hope i didn't come off rude or mean)
    So not having the money gives me the right to take it for free? Sure, whatever. Because, you know, a drawing book is such an incredible necessity that I need to take it in a way that robs its author of his livelihood.

You don't come off as mean, but as illogical.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Thanked 16,671 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepinonespersona View Post
    Advocating piracy is a bannable offense here. This is a warning, other mods may not give you one.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,671 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    I think what the OP is saying is that he can construct things from his head in correct perspective, but finds it difficult to apply that knowledge when drawing real buildings. Do we just draw what we see (if we draw accurately the perspective will surely then also be correct) or do we try to see the perspective lines on the real buildings and determine their vanishing points (something I for one find virtually impossible to do)? How do we bring together the perspective constructions in textbooks and the often far more complicated real buildings, and should we even try?

I think this is a question similar to the one on whether, when drawing a figure from life, we should use our knowledge of anatomy or just draw what we see.
    Knowledge and observation are complementary. The more you know, then more you see.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So not having the money gives me the right to take it for free? Sure, whatever. Because, you know, a drawing book is such an incredible necessity that I need to take it in a way that robs its author of his livelihood.

You don't come off as mean, but as illogical.
    There are these things, funded by wealthy capitalists and/or taxpayers, called libraries. .

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The more you know the more you see, the more you see the more you learn. Then back to the more you know again lol. Seems like a cycle.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess this might take some time. Now I know why animation studios take as trips to places they reference in movies,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Knowledge and observation are complementary. The more you know, then more you see.
    I have noticed this. Learning a bit of perspective (and anatomy) does make one look with different eyes. I think it takes a lot of practice to learn to integrate knowledge with eyeballing, and for those of us with little time to practice, it can be quite a challenge. E.g. in an attempt to improve my ability at drawing portraits, I learned a bit about the anatomy of the skull etc. Only to find that my subsequent attempts at portraits were much, much worse than the ones where I just eyeballed it. It seems there is a certain initial learning curve that you have to overcome first before the anatomical (or perspective) knowledge actually begins to help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When starting out with perspective I found it all too easy to put down any block and call it a building. Sure, the perspective lines were constructed correctly i,e lined up to the horizon - but without any knowledge of what buildings actually looked like from life, how could I be sure what the block would look like from a specific angle, how far away it's vanishing points were and from what viewing distance?

It's good to remember perspective is a tool for constructing 3D forms but not a replacement for actually observing 3d forms from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So should I check out for architectural books, and draw from life? Im kinda going for a realism/manga style of art. Sense manga in a sense is simplified realism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You said yourself you've got a book on perspective. By the sounds of it I'd just stick with that for now and apply what you learn from it to drawing from life. Don't concern yourself with style yet.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    =Do we just draw what we see (if we draw accurately the perspective will surely then also be correct)...
    really now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very well. I guess your right I should do style last.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post

There are these things, funded by wealthy capitalists and/or taxpayers, called libraries. .
    I never said anything bad about libraries! I just didn't think of it because here in Germany I'd never find this book (or any of the good ones only available in English) in a library.

So OP, invest in a library card! It'll change your life! It'll open L-Space to you!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your right some of these books are probably at my school hell they even have naruto dvds...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try these...Very basic stuff though...Just going through perspective myself...all in practice. Hope this helps...just trying here All the best.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2011/8...snt-scary.html
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2011/6/7/perspective.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One has to realize when drawing perspective from life that perspective as mentioned in the books and such only happens when your head is perfectly still and your eyes are looking out onto the horizon. Any time you move your head or neck, SOMETHING WILL CHANGE. Even something as small as looking to the corner of the room will produce fish-eye distortion effect (or 5/6 point perspective) because that's how we see things.

Bearing that in mind, one of the exercises that cleared it all up for me was drawing a 360 panorama of a room. Sit facing one wall, draw that, then slowly rotate around and draw as you go. You'll find that you get this loopy fish eye panorama strip (there is a proper technical name for all this).

So, when we want to draw a building out in front of us, we must always be aware of our original position, the position in which we laid down our main perspective lines, so even when we move around we can still come back to that original 'setting'. At least, I've found that this was necessary until I developed a certain level of spatial awareness where, looking out on a scene, I could have an idea of the ground plane and side planes very quickly and could 'move' around in the scene inside my head (like a virtual google sketchup).

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never said anything bad about libraries! I just didn't think of it because here in Germany I'd never find this book (or any of the good ones only available in English) in a library.

So OP, invest in a library card! It'll change your life! It'll open L-Space to you!
    Yeah, if the library is well supplied (which isn't the case in my town ). The easiest way to get a book for me is to order one from book store, since we don't have pay pal here (seems like I'm living on deserted island, which isn't far from truth xD). Anyway, back to the topic, try to analyze some old master paintings, and you can always look at the work of forum members. If you don't understand it, draw cubes over it, and try to find the horizon line. Then try to make similar perspective, to see if you understood it. It will come to you with practice, just like everything else. The key is to sit down and work!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Just playing off your quote to point out the obvious to DIOP.

Though, I do keep forgetting this is, truly, an international site!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.