Wrist Pain Issues (Nerve Extension)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums here at CA.

So I have an issue first of all I really want to get into digital art and Photoshop,etc. But for the past month I started getting wrist pains. The thing is I haven't really even been drawing much at all lately. I'm currently going to the chiropractor, and she gave me exercises to do for my wrists. I do, do them daily the way she told me too but in the past 4 day's it''s been getting really bad. I plan on starting doing Photoshop concept art, animation, etc in a couple months at home (I do it at school everyday). But if the pain does start becoming unbearable I don't know what to do. Should I give up if it get's really bad? I would like to make this my career and I'm willing to spend $3500 on a computer, and software (I already have a Wacom Intous 4).

Also the chiropractor told me that I have nerve extension in my wrists. Has anyone ever had it before, how bad is it, did you get rid of it?

(I'm sorry if this is in the wrong catagory I spent sometime looking where to put this, so if the moderators could place it somewhere else, thank you)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you are willing to shell out cash, I'd suggest buying a large or extra large tablet and then drawing from your shoulder and elbow more. That way you don't use your wrist and also will get more fluid lines.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    If you are willing to shell out cash, I'd suggest buying a large or extra large tablet and then drawing from your shoulder and elbow more. That way you don't use your wrist and also will get more fluid lines.
    I posted that I have an Intous 4 but sorry I forgot to mention the size. It's a LARGE and the thing is I can draw from the wrist,elbow and shoulder, but I still get pain the chiropractor told me not to where a wrist brace because It makes your wrists weaker (since you don't use them while in a brace).

What I really want to hear though is from other's that have struggled with similar pains.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pavypavy View Post
    But if the pain does start becoming unbearable I don't know what to do. Should I give up if it get's really bad?
    Fuck yes. Listen to your body. You can cause long-term nerve damage by continuing with an activity that causes these symptoms. I'm not saying you have to stop drawing, but you need to find a solution to this problem; don't just keep going thinking that this kind of pain is normal.

Most of the time, wrist and arm pain is caused by a workstation set up that is not suited for long-term use. Do some research into ergonomic work stations and evaluate your set-up and how it can be improved. Google wrist pain for artists and find out how other people solve this problem. I used to have pain in my arm (not my wrist or even my drawing arm but the other arm, the one using the keyboard) and it turned out that my problem was my arms were hanging half-way off the table and the edge of the table was disrupting my circulation. Now I have both arms on the table elbow-to-wrist and the problem is gone. That's probably not the solution you're looking for because your pain is in a different area, but my point is that changing a small thing like where your arm is sitting or having your wrist bent can make a big difference if you use that position for long periods at a time.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for all that information when I buy all my computer parts and what not I will difenetly design it around comfort. Also I have stopped drawing for about the past 2 months (I doodle when I can), and use the computer much, much less. I just don't want to do anything else as my career but art, because It's fun and I enjoy doing it, this would crush my dreams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How old are you?
    Maybe see a regular doctor, check and make sure if you have arthritis or something similar?

But, as dierat pointed out, it may be just the ergonomics of your work position... when you spend a lot of time in one position, like you do drawing, ergonomics or your workspace become super important.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL it seems as though no one can read my entire post. I said a Igo to the chiropractor and I got diagnosed with Nerve Extension in the wrist and I'm working on it to make it better (hopefully)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe this will help:

http://enliighten.com/blog/carpal-tu...nd-prevention/

It's for carpal tunnel, but it might help you too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Correct posture is super important! I started getting rsi problems at just 23 years old. I tried different supports and exercises, which helped, but felt like they were just covering a problem that I wanted a cure for. Eventually I adjusted my chair to be much lower so that my elbow could rest on the desk and then I paint from the elbow. Before, I was sitting quite higj and had a lot of pressure from the weight of my arm onmy painting hand, and that is what was causing my discomfort. After changing position, my pain eased away competely, and hasnt yet returned (4 months later). Hopefully will stay that way, I do still stretch every few hours too though.

Also, i think the previous poster had read your whole post but was suggesting a doctor might be a better bet until you have ruled out arthritis which the chiropractor might not check for?

Hope it helps you, work related injuries suck!

Nick

2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmarshallvfx View Post
    Also, i think the previous poster had read your whole post but was suggesting a doctor might be a better bet until you have ruled out arthritis which the chiropractor might not check for?
    At 16, I'm pretty sure arthritis is very unlikely. However my posture does suck and she said I need to do exercises and improve my posture for it to have the best chance at fixing it.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    Maybe see a real doctor,
    Fixed.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL it seems as though no one can read my entire post. I said a Igo to the chiropractor and I got diagnosed with Nerve Extension in the wrist and I'm working on it to make it better (hopefully)
    The reason I asked if you saw a regular doctor, like a family practice MD to start with, is because Chiropractors are nowhere near qualified to be making diagnosis about neurological stuff.
    As much as I love my chiropractor, and love what he does, there is a limit to what they know how to do, and what they are allowed to do.

At 16, I'm pretty sure arthritis is very unlikely...
    So is the kind of a pain that you describe.

First thing that needs to be determined if the pain you are experiencing is because of use or overuse (like in sports) and will eventually go away as you get conditioned, or if there is some kind of an anomaly or health issue that may be causing it.

Anyway, that's what professionals who want to make sure their body lasts the entire career do, have as many things checked out as early as possible, to prevent or minimize any long term damage. If you are experiencing problems at 16, you need to learn to be hyper vigilant about learning what it is your body isn't liking, and how to accommodate or avoid it.

Last edited by Conniekat8; January 31st, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What in hades is "nerve extension"? I've had enough joint problems for 2 people, and I've never come across that term before.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    .... the chiropractor told me not to where a wrist brace because It makes your wrists weaker (since you don't use them while in a brace).
    This comment more than anything else (well...that and the fact I can't find a dang thing on google regarding nerve extension) leads me to strongly recommend you see an MD. Interestingly enough my best experience was with a sports medicine therapist, but YMMV.

Something to remember though - pain is the body's way of telling you to STOP doing whatever is causing the pain. If you continue to work regardless, the likelihood of permanent damage increases. Trust me, it sucks being in constant pain when you're not even doing anything.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by erinc View Post
    What in hades is "nerve extension"? I've had enough joint problems for 2 people, and I've never come across that term before.
    Well I heard some people just call it Wrist extension but the way my the chiropractor described it to me is that the nerve doesn't kind of get's stuck where there are joint's (In my case it's the neck, but it can be at elbow, wrist,etc). They get stuck because nerves are like strings and can't stretch like muscles. Since there is only a limited amount of nerve(?) it extends and pain starts. So yeah.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well I heard some people just call it Wrist extension but the way my the chiropractor described it to me is that the nerve doesn't kind of get's stuck where there are joint's (In my case it's the neck, but it can be at elbow, wrist,etc). They get stuck because nerves are like strings and can't stretch like muscles. Since there is only a limited amount of nerve(?) it extends and pain starts. So yeah.
    Chiropractic nonsense. See an orthopedist or a physical/occupational therapist.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I think you have tendinitis... Or as someone said before, the carpal tunnel stuff. But I'm not a doctor, so... SEE A REAL DOCTOR.

I have tendinitis on my anckle, it's horrible, and my case I must operate (because I'm a nature freak, I have an extra bone over my tendon that causes his inflammation) So I must take out the bone, and be like... 4 months with my feet immobilized and prohibited to touch the ground with it, and other 4 months of physiotherapy... But we're not talking about me.

Se a orthopedist, he'll do some exams, and maybe ask for a resonance. Probably you'll have to do some physiotherapy, and if your situation is bad, he'll prohibit you from drawing till the problem is over. So go see a doctor before your situation is critic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In addition to what everyone else said, what helped me was to do wrist exercises every hour or so:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, sounds like tendonitis to me.
    I got it in both wrists, and I figured out at the best thing to do is when it starts hurting, ice it. Also wrapping in ace bandages make it more comfortable.
    If you absolutley CANNOT stop i.e. working on a deadline thats close, take three asprin. really

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I umpteenth agree with seeing a doctor. I got tendonitis in my right wrist, ignored it for a while, and then had to spend months not using it completely to get the pain under control enough to start physical therapy. It was awful. I still have weakness years later, and it tends to flare up randomly.

Aside from the physical therapy, ice/heat and changing the ergonomics of my work station, the best suggestion i have found that makes a huge difference is wearing a wrist brace at night while you sleep--it's possible you are curling your wrist at night which can significantly contribute. For short-term relief, Arnica cream can also help some, when combined with advil.

I wouldn't trust a chiropractor with your wrist. I'm sure he/she means well, but they do not have the education to make that call.

Members who have read this thread: 1