Sketchbook: raining's Sketchbook - Any critique welcome!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

raining's Sketchbook - Any critique welcome!

-Newer stuff in later posts, mostly practice so far-

I'm hoping to be a freelance artist, and maybe eventually a video game concept artist. I already sell character designs on FA (I left DA because of the drama and bad market), but that site has nothing near the professionalism I see here, so I'm hoping that posting on ConceptArt will help give me that extra boost that I need to reach my goals.
    Any amount of criticism is welcome on any of my pieces. I want to get better, and I know being stubborn won't help. So have at it, haha.
    A loooooot of these aren't finished...I have a bad habit of never finishing things.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rainingdarkness; June 13th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainingdarkness For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is some practice I did using http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html
    I believe I did 5 min each. The lighting on the top center and top right was really confusing. I like how the first one came out the most.

Stuff from first post is also going to be tossed here for now.

Last edited by rainingdarkness; June 13th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great concepts. welcome to ca.org/sketchbooks

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some bird practice today. Still using pixelovely's gesture drawing tool. 5 min each. I don't think I've ever actually practiced birds before, though I have drawn them a few times.
    Working with a limited palette confused me at first, birds have so many different colors it's hard to convey that as well as the lighting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good animal studies. I also like the creatures concepts in post1, the fingerprint looking deer and the one under it especially. I like the simplified face on those two.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good studies and interesting looking creatures you make!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice studies, keep them coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More bird studies...these ones didn't come out as well, but then I don't think the photos were as interesting, either.
    Also some ocean practice I did a few weeks ago, after realizing while working on that pokemon painting in the first post that I had no idea how to paint water. Haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to CA! and i really like the creature designs you got in the first post, very nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I really like designing creatures, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! you have very nice concepts And lovely creatures!!
    you need a little more practise with anatomy!
    I know.. im in da too and i search other sites to show my art as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I'm practicing anatomy all the time, haha. I need to work on different body types as well as learn the skeletal and muscular systems. I'm actually practicing right now, reading Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis. I'll be sure to update when I get some more practice in. ^^
    Yeah...DA just doesn't do it for me. This is my favorite art site I've found so far, and I haven't even been here long. I'm hoping drama doesn't fester here like it seems to everywhere else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA!

Right now I think it would help for you to practice some anatomy studies. Like Bridgmann, he's really good to study from.

I love the Pixielovely gestures you did. The first and the bottom left one has beautiful lighting and value. Love the patterns and details on your work, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I'm working on practicing from Loomis' books right now, I'll have to take a look at Bridgman's stuff as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice today reading Andrew Loomis' books.
    On the important landmark studies, I focused a little less on getting the anatomy perfect and a little more on getting more confident lines out, so that's why they're a little wonky. I'll probably redo them again at some point. I just have issues not making everything super sketchy and going over lines multiple times.
    I was so confused on that last head...something about the perspective was making it near impossible for me to measure it out.
    I got mad for a minute trying to follow his instructions, because he describes it...strangely. He says that there's the center cross, then "about halfway" up from there is your forehead line, then "about halfway" below it is the nose line, and an equal distance from there is the bottom of the chin. Only thing is, if you go "about halfway" it would pretty much end with the bottom of the ball, and couldn't go past it like it should...so I was using thirds instead, since that's what it looked more like to me in his drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Confident lines are good too. I need to work on that a little more myself. @_@

Your studies are so pretty with the textures and all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! ^^ I get bored staring at plain white/textureless stuff that doesn't have much to it sometimes haha, so it keeps me interested in what I'm looking at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Love the deer and your birds are wonderful. Is there any particular reason that you are using a limited pallet?

As for the habit of not finishing things, well, most people are a bit like that! It's natural and it's actually ok, in my opinion. However, you have to be able to say that you have learnt at least one thing from your unfinished piece. One thing and that makes it worth it - move on. Mind, can't keep doing it with everything, as then compiling a portfolio would become devilishly difficult.

I like your light body studies on green, but maybe you should try to loosen up a bit. How big are you drawing? Use the full screen (photo and canvas side by side) and use a nice big brush, bolder strokes. It's all about describing the shape, don't let the photo fool you into drawing too much light where according to your own drawing it is the bit in the shadow. Use appropriate references (with studio lighting is best). Aaand, try to think about the colours you use. The birds are wonderful partly because the colour is flattering, for example. Why not do the same justice to human form?

Love you sketchbook, keep practicing and never give up!

Ana

Get naked, eat sushi!

CA.org sketchbook
    Twitter

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jansi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! ^^ I started using a limited palette at someone's suggestion because I wasn't very good with colors or shading with color instead of black and white; it's to help reinforce the idea that any color can be used for lights/darks.

That's a good way to think about it, thanks! I think I'll start to pick out certain pieces that I really like to finish. You're right about the portfolio thing.

My canvas is 3000x4000 px. I work relatively zoomed out when referencing though, to make sure the proportions are right. I'll try using a larger brush. And I'll try to use more flattering colors the next time I do an anatomy study, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First is some Loomis mannequin practice, 2nd is some 60s posemaniacs practice. I'm going to try to get more done in a day...but anything with lines still takes me forever, I spent ages on the first picture. >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi
    welcome to CA

nothing much to crit. just keep hitting hard on those studies.
    yeah i think thats the secret.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha thanks! Will do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First is some 1 minute each posemaniacs sketches from a few days ago, 2nd is some 2 min each http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html canine practice from a few days ago, third is 5 min each posemaniacs practice from tonight.

I'll try to get back to updating every day. >.< Life's crazy lately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well...it's been kind of a long time since I updated anything on here.
    I was kind of going through a pretty rough patch around the time I was posting before, so it doesn't really surprise me that I dropped off. At some point after that last year, I started making jewelry instead of drawing after having a really bad case of art block. I only just recently started to draw again somewhat regularly.
    Fortunately I'm doing a lot better now (mentally) than I was then, which is pretty awesome! I'd really like to start getting back into posting here more often, just because I don't have almost any friends who are artistically inclined, and even fewer of them that live nearby. Basically, I'm in desperate need of some sort of feedback. Not just to improve, but also to keep me motivated. I do have more stuff in a sketchbook, but I don't have a scanner and the lighting in my apartment is awful so I may not get around to posting any of that.

I'm a bit uncertain on where I'd like to go with my art. I'm thinking I'd really like to focus on character designs and scenery. I really like movies like Pan's Labyrinth, Mirrormask, Spirited Away, and What Dreams May Come. As for video games, I like the feeling of Bioshock (all three of them are amazing), Folklore, Silent Hill (I've only ever played The Room but I've seen art from others and it's really fantastic), and Rule of Rose. Any recommendations of similar stuff to look at would be great.

The first here is just a practice painting I did of a cicada. I really hate them, so I'm not entirely sure why I decided to try that out haha. The second is a pokemon mashup from that site I keep seeing floating around. The third is a character of mine. I don't do very much fun or personal art. I tend to spend more time either practicing or creating little character designs to sell. The last was something I sort of did at random. I started with a solid gray base and just sort of splashed around lighter and deeper grays until it started to look like something, and then expanded on that. I actually really like how it looks when it's shrunk down. I feel like if I really tried to go somewhere with it, it might become something worth looking at.

Name:  Cicada 6-5-13.png
Views: 136
Size:  255.3 KBName:  Hauntchu.png
Views: 134
Size:  538.2 KBName:  Sheebly.png
Views: 131
Size:  790.7 KBName:  Random Scenery shrunk.png
Views: 132
Size:  82.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spent an hour or so today working on sixty second gesture drawings. I got frustrated with one of the drawings(as you can see...lol), but wound up watching a video on youtube on gesture drawing that sort of helped me out, and I got back to my practice. Drawing quick reference lines that show the overall flow of the drawing before filling in the rest seems to work really well for me. I did notice I was scribbling a bit, so I tried to keep the outlines quick and fluid as much as possible in the later ones.

Name:  IMG_8899editShrunk.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  117.4 KBName:  IMG_8900editShrunk.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  116.9 KBName:  IMG_8901editShrunk.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  125.6 KBName:  IMG_8902editShrunk.jpg
Size:  102.3 KBName:  IMG_8903editshrunk.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  91.0 KBName:  IMG_8904editShrunk.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  131.2 KBName:  IMG_8905editShrunk.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  137.4 KBName:  IMG_8906editShrunk.jpg
Size:  121.8 KBName:  IMG_8907editShrunk.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  120.0 KBName:  IMG_8908editShrunk.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  82.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some thirty second posemaniacs gestures(they throw out some really odd angles on that site...), some pen control practice I tried after looking over some of MindCandyMan's sketchbook, cylinder shading practice, a practice face, muscle study from posemaniacs (the male model they have looks odd in some of the older poses, so I used the female. I'll do more muscle studies later, it wouldn't all fit anyhow), and some practice I did after watching the videos on the loomis method of drawing heads by Proko.
    I've noticed recently that when I set my drawing pad on my desk and don't hover over it, I tend to skew things from top right to bottom left. Not entirely sure what to do about that aside from trying to hunch over the page, haha. Maybe I could just keep it in my lap instead. I don't know.
    These were all done yesterday, aside from two or three of the head drawings. I ended up making myself a clay model of the cutoff-ball shape with the crosshair, hairline, brow and nose guidelines on it, and its' a huge help when trying to draw the head from odd angles.

raining's Sketchbook - Any critique welcome!raining's Sketchbook - Any critique welcome!
    raining's Sketchbook - Any critique welcome!raining's Sketchbook - Any critique welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More line practice. I actually flipped the page upside down to work on the bottom half. Not sure if I need more practice making straight lines, or if I just need better aim.
    I made clay shapes to reference from. They're not very big, but they seem to work okay. I need to figure out a way to get light from different angles. I might have to turn off all the lights in here and try using a candle. At least that's smaller and easier to move than a standing lamp, haha.
    The muscle study took me the better part of last evening to work on. I'm not sure why, but it took me about five hours to complete. I really wanted to make sure I got it right. Now that I've done the whole body, I'm going to work on a few that focus on each section from different angles. I'd also like to work on a full back view and a full side view, but with how long this took me I think I'd like to focus on something else for a while.

Name:  IMG_8916editShrunk.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  241.4 KBName:  IMG_8917editShrunk.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  337.2 KBName:  IMG_8918editShrunk.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  267.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is something I've been working on...it's another character I'll be trying to sell on another site. I tried to use some of the shading practice I've been working on when I colored it in. I didn't actually reference most of the fur, so I'm sure it looks off in one way or another. I might try to make the markings on it more interesting; I spent more time working on the lineart and shading than I did on the design itself. The mane was fun to line though!

Name:  FoxBuffalo1.png
Views: 68
Size:  538.4 KB

I have been practicing other stuff, but I'm going to wait until I have more to upload before posting any of that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.