Art: Any Advice on my logo design

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Any Advice on my logo design

Hey guys
    basically a friend of mine has asked me to design a logo for a Horticulture business she has. Shes young and has asked that the logo looked cute and girly and would appeal to a younger audience ( she informs me that majority of people in horticulture are middle aged men and all there logos are very bland and boring )

She said she would really like a cute butterfly so i've tried to design around what she specified, but i was wondering if anyone had any advice on cleaning it up or assisting at all !

anything would be nice guys

thanks
    Jerry

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryActric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first thing i was gonna say is the bland colors but if you say horticulture logos all look bland then nvm.....did u google other horticulture logos to get an idea of how they look, i mean when i have to make a design i like to just google images of different types of logos all associated with the theme im working with. Granted, im no professional graphic artist but its always nice to have a general idea of what industry you are designing for and what are the types of images involved in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd definitely consider changing the composition up a bit. Try adding more space between the borders and wings/antenna. It's creating a bit too much tension for me. Have you tried making the butterfly smaller and having "BWP" as the main focus?

-edit-
    Oh, one more thing! Try stylizing the antenna a bit as well, you might find that it looks more unified if you used the same kind of shape as the patterns on the wings.
    With the flower as well, maybe try and revise it? The stem and the way the arms are holding it doesn't really seem to gel, if you know what i mean.

Last edited by Huduu; February 6th, 2012 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allrighty Guys all Input noted ! ill do some work on this tomorrow and ill post up the changed version ! thanks for the input guys !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right so i made a few quick changes to the composition, Used the design of the wings details for the antenna and arms as well as the stem for the flower. I also included a shrunk down logo with the large font for you to see as well. I havent meddled with any of the colours yet but i will have a play once the overall design is complete

thoughts everyone ?
    thanks in advance

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The typeface doesn't match the butterfly's style that well. It has a slight celtic, medieval old typeface look, while your butterfly is more cartoony and child-like. Maybe a fun hand-done san serif type would match better.

Be careful about small lines on the butterfly. When you downsize, these will be really small in comparison to the rest of the butterfly. Also, the wings meet at an odd angle on the back. Their shapes overall are a little strange. Otherwise, I think you met the goal of making it more girly and less expected for horticulture.

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe if you make the flower the butterfly is holding bigger it would read better.

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It lacks impact. Are you trying to "sell" the image or the name? Think about how this would be used on a letterhead, business card website, etc. The butterfly seems overly complicated with the arms, the flower, the antennae and it's huge compared the name of the company.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aside from making the butterfly smaller, you may also want to change its angle. Draw more emphasis on BWP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the color is a bit too bright ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The idea of your logo is a good creation, but I am not impressed with your colour selection, when it comes to plants generally we have to go with a green shade as well, also you have to get rid of the single flower and consider to stick with bunch of flowers especially because it is a wholesale business. So just a flower will not give the exact idea. Hope you will realize what I am trying to say. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there.

While the logo has a fresh, feminine feel to it there is too much happening.
    Simplify the elements of the butterfly by removing the yellow sheen from the wings and shrink it down so it doesn't clash with the business name.
    Change the 'BWP' font to a (modified) sans serif - current font doesn't match the youthful motif.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something that really brings it down is the colour. It looked washed out and considering 99.999% of stationery is white... that's bad. Two, not so glaring, but moreso about taste; the butterfly looks irrelevant, detached. Maybe if you incorporated it into the name, that would look better to me. Three; the logotype looks... I don't know... haphazard? Like you just picked a pretty font and slapped it on there without any more thought to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is not a logo, look at professional logos and actually go through the steps to make one.

all logos where done on paper so i just you do a bunch of sketches but before that collect information, who's your market, your aim etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rapxic: saying something is not a logo is just as bad as declaring something not art. Even a bad logo is still a logo.

That being said, I always suggest doing a brainstorming session and coming up with a page or two of pencil sketches of different logo ideas. Come up with something iconic with visual impact and then work to refine the colors, linework, fonts and whatnot. Simple is usually better. I'd highly suggest www.dafont.com for a great repository of free fonts that are sorted by category. The font you pick is as important if not more important than your butterfly logo so spend some time to try to get the font correct.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Any advice on my logo design

Well, that is not a logo, look at professional logos and actually go through the steps to make one.

To Make it look professional get logo designs/templates and search on google many logo designs/templates are available on it .
    It will really help you.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are already some good advices above. First of all you should think of the business you are designing the logo for. Who/what are they? What do they want to be? Then think of the customers you are designing the logo for? The age, gender etc. Is it for children? Should it look childish opposed to being hip, cool and young. It should work in a small size and black/white. First desing the logo in B/W mode, when you are satisfied with the result, then add color. Think of the color carefully. How color appears in nature, different cultures and in general the feeling/meaning of each color. In the end make sure the color works and is visible in small size and from a a distance. As to the actual shape -> simplify, have fun with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think hakepe has good points to make. Make sure the logo works as a united composition, at the moment you have two elements floating in space with nothing connecting them, and your elements are too far apart. Also you want to minimize the amount of details so the image is impactful, immediate and memorable (ie the little face, the little arms). Here's a cool site to help you get inspiration and a nudge in the right direction:

Also (and this goes for everyone) - and I can't stress this enough - DONT USE DAFONT OR OTHER FREE FONT SITES! If you want free typefaces go to fontsquirrel.com as at least they got pro designers to dig through the free-font galaxy filter out the crap (98% of it). I've been planning for a big typography essentials thread (if anyone is interested), but for now:
    learn: http://designingwithtype.com/5/home.php
    improve: http://www.markboulton.co.uk/journal...ter-typography
    inspire: http://typography-daily.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, would go with the two main points above. The colours do look a bit washed, and the butterfly does look a bit like it’s just stuck there. I’d also say that it’s a bit large for the lettering being used. Something to remember is that if the design is picked up it might appear in everything from stationary, to plastic bags.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lopsided eyes give an impression of 'zany' rather than 'cute and girly and young'. I agree with comments like simplify your design, use repeating shapes more.

Have you considered trying a no-face approach? It could still look cute by having an implied face just from the antenna, and perhaps by having the head area point towards a flower.

I know this is an old thread (poor Graphic Design subforum v_v), but I'm curious to see what kind of changes you made and what was the final product.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

Members who have read this thread: 1