Sketchbook: Doodle-bomber

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Doodle-bomber

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doodle-bomber

Hi CA,

My name's 'Z', I'm a... person...

Sorry, I'm not very good at introductions and I'm a little nervous about posting my work up on here finally!

Apologies, in advance, for the lengthy post, btw...

Like many people on here, I'm someone who would like to improve their art/draftsmanship skills in effort to break into the concept art field. Specifically concept art for computer video games.

I'm fairly confident I know what my weakest areas are, but I'm still struggling to overcome my insecurity about my work and push myself to develop those areas.

My shading you'll find is incredibly weak, as is, my colouring. Also, I'm not particularly good with environments, vehicles and buildings...pretty much everything really...

So, yeah... a lot of work. However, I'd appreciate any advice or critiques, obviously, as well as any advice about the industry and what it takes etc.

Anyway, here's a slew of my most recent moleskine scratchings, in no particular order. There's also some older colour and sketch work in there too.

Many thanks

Z

Attached Images Attached Images                                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, keep posting. The more people see your work the less you`ll be insecure about it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CarbonBased For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like you've got a solid foundation. there's some cool stuff in here.
    this especially catches my eye. very cool. and that pac-man is hilarious

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guys, thanks you both for the encouraging words. I've been perusing the forums quite a bit today for inspiration and see if I can learn anything, and the talent/skill here is just phenomenal.

@Carbon: I'm really only insecure, because I feel like I should be better than I am, or that I haven't tried hard enough, or am just inept at observation. It's quite a personal issue I need to learn to overcome I think.

@WR Many thanks for your comment! I'm glad you found the Pac-Man pix funny :-D I enjoyed sketching out the idea of two different perspectives on the same character.

If you don't mind my asking, why were you drawn to that image in particular? Is it because the style is so drastically different from the others?

Anyway, I'm just gonna throw up some more images. Some of these are from the moleskine and some are digital pieces I threw together in Photoshop, as I tried to wrestle with values, and painting straight onto a digital canvas.

I'm trying to get into the habit of keeping my stuff a bit more loose and relaxed, so I can get a flow of ideas onto paper more quickly and easily.

This is just a giant paint-dump. I threw up some for comparison's sake to show how i progressed after going back to the image a 2nd, 3rd, or more times.

The last two are the most recent ones I've drawn. Did them last week in fact.

Thanks again for taking the time to look, folks

Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome! Don't feel at all insecure, this is a helpful place, and you've got some really nice stuff here. Your imaginative work is really really fun, it's clear you really love drawing and that's the main thing, also you seem to know where your weaknesses are. Do some studies of the basics, and you'll likely see leaps in improvement in your imaginative work as well.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

welcome

Great work!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketts801 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some great work here already, although I think you could definitely benefit from brushing up on your fundamentals.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement, everyone

I've been browsing the forum, looking at other people's work and posts and seeing what I can take from it, as well as some the tutorials in the Community Resources section. Hopefully, gonna see if I can take on some of the tutorials set out here and go from there...

@Bones: Thank you I appreciate your confidence, I'll certainly endeavour to go back to the basics and hone my skills.

@Crickett: Thank you! You've got some really amazing stuff! Loving the animal studies

@Falchion: Thanks for the tip (very cool name btw ) I'm pretty much convinced I need to go back to basics to and build upwards again. I'm just hoping I can get to grips with it quickly. I'm being very impatient lol

Thanks, once again, everyone for taking the time out. You've already helped me in more ways than you could ever imagine.

I'll leave these here as well so you can see I haven't been a complete lazy-arse. Did these last week, and threw together a comparison shot of how accurate the puppy sketch was... or wasn't

Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guys,

Apologies for not having been more active here. Just had a busy last few months. I haven't been completely inactive on the sketch front though!

Don't want you all to think I'm wasting this valuable forum space!

I took on-board people's advice about re-visiting the basics, especially with regards to shading and rendering, but I'm finding it hard to focus on it.

I get too easily distracted by wanting to do something else, so I decided to try and make it more interesting by applying those theories to the things I enjoy sketching the most, whilst at the same time sketching things I'd like to be better at.

Unfortunately, I decided to be... rather ambitious, and may have, proverbially, bitten off more than I can chew... and then some, with this current WIP.

I don't really know what else to say other than it took me ages to conceptualise and sketch in the first place, and now it's taking me just as long to render it in grey-scale, but I'm taking it all as experimentation and experience.

It's coming together better than I expected though, and I'm learning loads through the experimentation. I just wish I didn't take so long with it. I guess that'll diminish gradually.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.