IDW # 193 : Ice Spear Harpoon - VOTING!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tomercs

9 27.27%
  • ragtag

14 42.42%
  • Monsieur-Beefy

0 0%
  • Rambozo

10 30.30%
  • zy.

0 0%

Thread: IDW # 193 : Ice Spear Harpoon - VOTING!

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW # 193 : Ice Spear Harpoon - VOTING!

-----------------------------------
    IDW # 193 Topic: Ice Spear Harpoon
    Deadline for voting: Sunday, February 5

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

-------------------------

Original thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235596

Name:  IDW Logo Poll.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by Pixie Trick; January 30th, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW # 193 : Ice Spear Harpoo

Description: The Blacktank Corporation Research and Development Teams came up with this piece of design after a client ordered a weapon with that he could terminate a target without leaving any bullets or shells behind.

You can find a skribble of it here:
    http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1327601107

Attached Images Attached Images  
    guns for hire - www.rmory.net

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ragtag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The barbaric giants whom hail from the Northern ice fields use sweet magic ice spear harpoons to slay seals and polar bears and stuff.

Name:  IDW193final.png
Views: 969
Size:  1.08 MB

Last edited by Monsieur-Beefy; January 29th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
    Twitter|Tumblr|CGhub|DeviantArt|Blog||Mick.MonsieurBeefy@gmail.com

available for work!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monsieur-Beefy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IDW#193 : Ice Spear Harpoon

I went with something that might fit in an alternate history/D&D type of universe. (description included on the image)

Attached Images Attached Images  

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Wicked Witch Destroyer. The Wicked Witch is back and this time she's got waterproof armor. What's a poor Dorothy to do? Fight back with an ice harpoon gun!

Name:  IDW_193_Zy..jpg
Views: 967
Size:  322.6 KB

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did we revoke the "4. No 3D entries are allowed" rule whilst I was away?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nope. If you're referring to ragtag, his textures are not cg. He may have done the model (and lines) via a program but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt as its perfectly possible to get the same result by other means. (You might want to take this as a nudge to mayhap fiddle a bit more post model ragtag )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sticking my entry in Pixie Trick. Here's some comments from me:

Good round. I was surprised to see how techy it got. I thought I was branching out doing a modern one - sure showed me! It'd be cool if we could see more in the WIPs thread.

I voted for Rambozo - it was a simple design which used the properties of the ice to good effect. Pretty pictures too!
    ragtag, great believable design work. Really solid. If anything I'd have like to have seen it be a bit more silly, because the premis is pretty fun, but that's just a personal thing. I was torn between yours and Rambozo's for the vote.
    Monsieur-Beefy, I really liked where yo were taking it, but I think too much of the focus went on the character and not enough on the weapon itself.
    Zy. Nice backstory, but it didn't shout "ice" at me. I think you aske in the WIPs thread how I got such sharp lines. I either use a hard edge eraser, or make a path selection. Hope that helps.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomercs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey folks, cool round. I tried to put some crits together for everyone :
    First, my vote goes to Tomercs. I like the design, the rendering is nice. Showing two versions, optional scope, etc. is a bonus : hints at how this asset can be recycled in-game, and the back story works for me (except for the WW2 time frame ). The so-called “fishing wheel”, although you mentioned was an afterthought, makes all the difference for me : it's design might be a bit off-the shelf but it's also very recognizable, which gets the point across. All of a sudden it's no longer an “ice-needle assault rifle” but some harpoon-gun !

Ragtag : I like the general design, there are interesting details as well, seems like it would fit in well in the very-near future. I'm not a huge fan of 3D models for concept work though. You can rack that up to personal taste but apparently it's a no-no in the IDW as well so maybe a thorough paintover would help next time (?). My biggest qualm though would be that I don't feel the “harpooness” of the design.

Monsieur Beefy : Although we can catch a glimpse of how your ice-giant culture reflects onto their weapon design, the focus of the illo is on the character when it should really be on your concept : the harpoon seems to take backstage like it was no more than a prop (it's half hidden, passing behind the character). It's a great idea to place your design next to a recognizable element such a figure to imply scale of course, just remember the character should be a tool to help bring out your concept.

Zy : My first impression was “alien-poison-gun”, which means I did't get the “ice” feeling from the design Simply changing the green to a cold blue colour could make a world of difference.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tomercs: The first thing that struck me about your design was the level of smooth detail. The mount and sight are good examples-- I think the lines on the top of the sight are fantastic, as well as the details within. I also appreciate that you showed someone holding the gun. as both a scale and proof of usability. I'd never designed a gun before, and I found both your WIP and final really inspirational. I also agree with Rambozo that all the mods make this exceptional. My only concern is one of presentation, and that is that the font is small and hard to read. Thanks also for your answer to my question about hard lines, I'll try your technique

ragtag: Your whole layout is beautiful. The fade from blue to white in the background, and the logo and notes on the gun. Wow! incredible level of detail. And the smooth edges are something I'm still baffled about. The curling fog of the ice surrounding the barrel is an exceptional touch. The ice crystals in the upper right corner behind the logo.... There is just so much you gave us to discover in this pic, one could look at it for hours. While I wouldn't want to you to change anything about this piece, since the composition works so well, I would have loved to see someone holding this weapon, to get a sense of scale and ease of use/proportionality. Great job.

Monsieur-Beefy: As I said before, I really love the direction you went with this. My biggest issue is that you focused more on the image and less on the weapon. Not even being able to see the full weapon is a problem for me. But what I can see is really cool, and I hope you participate in another challenge because your idea in this one seems strong and I want to see more or your work =D

Rambozo: Good idea! Smooth lines and well conceived concept. I also love the story. The small details, like the sliding shaft which moves into the notch of the blade to release the gripping prongs are exceptional. The silhouette of the man in the background is also a nice touch. As with Tomercs, my only concern is that the font is small and hard to read on a grey background.

Zy-- Thanks Rambozo and Tomercs for the cc. I agree with you both fully and even at the time of submitting it I knew it was really not strong. I spent way to much time developing a context idea, and not enough time thinking about the gun. This was my first time developing a weapon, and I learned a lot from the process, so still happy to have competed (as always )

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW#193 Ice Spear Harpoon

Tomercs: I voted for you, I like the accuracy with that you draw your design. Althought I have to admit that I do not want to be the one holding that gun with the "fishing line" mounted, because it seems to need really tiny hands to squeeze them in between there.

ragtag: That is me. I haven't been arround for almost two years now so don't be too harsh with me. I used a 3D model as base, yes I admit that, but the rules say that this is allowed. I build a mockup model of my 2D Design, that I evolved just like Tomercs` one, but than I decided that the perspective view transports my idea much better.The 3D part of my designing process is far less than 20%, it is a quick, raw untextured blockmodel which I overpaint lateron. And shouldn't a conceptart piece foremost convey the design and functionality of what the designer wants to deliver?
    It has been this very forum that told me to do a perspective view of every design I make, so do not hold that against me now

Monsieur-Beefy: Nice idea, but you are going too far in the ChoW direction i think. My advice, design the gun first, without any props or characters around it. After you done that you can add a image like Tomercs did where you can see somebody holding the weapon. Do not start designing your weapon into a composition.

Rambozo: Your work has the best presentation i think. But I really do not want to throw a spear that has a shaft made out of ice if I don't have my gloves around

Zy.: I like the dog It looks awesome with that goggles! What I think you need to do is start with outline drawing. Some say it is childish but it helps your design not to float away into the canvas.
    And Thanks for the plaudit!

guns for hire - www.rmory.net

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ragtag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rambozo, check this out for the WW2 reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

Weird eh?

Thanks for the crits guys.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomercs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomercs View Post
    Rambozo, check this out for the WW2 reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

Weird eh?
    That is actually pretty damned cool (I'd never heard of this). But with regards to my crit : the comment was directed towards the look, the design, not so much the principle. You have a rail-system, fluide forms, "plasticy" bits : looks good but it doen't scream "WWII" like say an MG-42 might.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I see what you mean. That's my fault! Yeah, the WW2 ref was only to the pykrete, and the gun was meant to be much more modern. Argh, confusion!

Members who have read this thread: 2