Question about pen pressure and opacity jitter
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Question about pen pressure and opacity jitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question about pen pressure and opacity jitter

Hey guys,

So when Im painting in Photoshop.. under the brush settings.. I set the opacity jitter and flow jitter on pen pressure.
    Then I play around with the percentage. The pic below shows the percentage I am using and the figure I painted with this setting.
    25% opacity jitter
    12% flow jitter

Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 2764
Size:  216.5 KB

Name:  Picture 1.png
Views: 2566
Size:  64.4 KB

I use the pen pressure in order to achieve the chiaroscuro effect.

The problem I have with this setting is that it seems to make my paintings look sort of translucent. I feel like if I were to increase the opacity, flow jitter percentage, then the paintings would feel more solid. I tried to paint like that and found it was a pain in the ass.

Heres my question.. is it just me and my lack of practice that makes the painting look less solid, or should I start practicing with more opacity and flow jitter? Even if i feel its a pain in the ass, would it ultimately make my painting skills better?

Idk if this is a dumb question but thanks.

Last edited by Immortal Cintiq; January 27th, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
    Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would recommend at least setting the opacity percentage as high as you can manage. Learn how to use your pen pressure to completely control opacity. It starts out as a pain in the ass but gets easier with practice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks JJacks,

but im confused, do you mean i should set the pressure settings so that no matter how hard or soft I press, the opacity of the stroke stays similar?

If so how high a percentage do you suggest I go? or do some people paint without the any paint pressure?

Im pretty isolated as an artist and I was dying for some kind of answer with this. Thanks again!

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never use opacity jitter and flow jitter for painting (only for certain special effects brushes) I can't imagine why you would want to, wouldn't it just give you less value control? and what do you mean by your paintings looking 'translucent' vs solid??

And I think Jjacks meant opacity %, not opacity jitter %. (correct me if I'm wrong lol) From your screenshot it looks like you already have that at 100%.

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Cintiq View Post
    Thanks JJacks,

but im confused, do you mean i should set the pressure settings so that no matter how hard or soft I press, the opacity of the stroke stays similar?

If so how high a percentage do you suggest I go? or do some people paint without the any paint pressure?

Im pretty isolated as an artist and I was dying for some kind of answer with this. Thanks again!
    Yeah, Feng Zhu is painting without opacity turned on. He is controlling it by pressing numbers on keyboard (for example press 9 for 90% opacity, or 92 fast for 92%). 0 is for 100%. Experiment and find out what suits you. It really comes down to personal preference.

Oh, here is the link for Feng Zhu's tutorials, you'll find a lot of useful information there.

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/tutorials.htm

At first he is just showing layers, but after 15th lesson I think, you can see him actually painting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Krilce! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are tools which ensure that the opacity is set to 100% even if the stylus is pressed only halfway. Take a look at http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2012/1...-tip-feel.html, which is generally a helpful site for digital painting tips and tricks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually paint with the opacity on but if I was you I would use 100 opacity on the block in then lower it a little for the blending but like the other guy said look at feng zhu tutorials but it doesnt really matter what pressure is on its all about who is wielding the tablet and knowing how to control the pressure but try whatever you like

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GDM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudcan View Post
    I never use opacity jitter and flow jitter for painting (only for certain special effects brushes) I can't imagine why you would want to, wouldn't it just give you less value control? and what do you mean by your paintings looking 'translucent' vs solid??

And I think Jjacks meant opacity %, not opacity jitter %. (correct me if I'm wrong lol) From your screenshot it looks like you already have that at 100%.
    Yeah your right, I think I ment to talk about opacity in conjuction with pen pressure, and not opacity jitter.

Also, I was wondering, if you dont manipulate flow or opacity, how do you create chiaroscuro effect? say for something like a soft round surface?

Love your work on your sketchbook btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just saw the video of Feng Zhu about the brushes. I've always used the pen pressure to adjust opacity. Now, should I learn to adjust opacity manually and not with pen pressure?

I'm still new to digital painting (or painting in general), is setting the opacity manually a "better" way to learn?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lot of people suggest to not use any kind of opacity pressure and just lower the flow for blending, although I'm not quite clear on the subject myself, if anybody could shed some light, ill also be interested

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find flow % set to pen pressure much better than opacity % since it still has the texture of brushes in it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

16. The Following User Says Thank You to matejkovacic For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 12