I failed my Art I class by 3 points?! - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I failed my Art I class by 3 points?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just looked at the Gallery for Full Sail University's Art program: I am not as impressed as I should be.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cases like this one might be why they call the school 'FullFail'...

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rem92 View Post
    Ouch...is that what it is becoming known as? That's too bad. Don't mean this to turn into a big Full Sail bashing but, it is a concern.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a feeling the OP will soon feature in that "worst of CA" thread the pops up its head every now and then. :-)

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino_PuA View Post
    I just looked at the Gallery for Full Sail University's Art program: I am not as impressed as I should be.
    ^ I've been under impression they're more of a technical school and had a smwh decent employment rate for tech artists - scripters, riggers, etc;
    looks like the art side of things is much less convincing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rem92 View Post
    qute, lol

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To OP: If you feel your teachers suck, go to the bookstore and get some art books and learn art yourself. IMO, art can be largely learned without going to art school, just that the pace will be slower etc. Whether or not one becomes the next Justin Sweet / Ron Lemen / Vilppu / .... is another problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say alot of it is because they can see you have decent observational skills but you havn't applied their lessons therefor you dont know how to represent them on paper. They are trying to teach you the fundamentals of how to translate what your observing cohesively onto the paper. None of your shading follows form, its all flat and graphic. We can see your making an attempt at perspective but if you just use perspective and sight lines like the teacher should have taught you, it would not look so distorted. Your shading is super inconsistent. Essentially they gave you that grade because they know you can do better. Art is extremely time consuming.

I've seen kids with far worse drawings than that pass classes but they passed because they really did put in their all and worked hard even if they were drawing-retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    Here's an example of drawing and shading we're expected to do in beginning drawing in my community college (not even an art school), in a one day a week class.
    Looks like this artist learned the basics long before drawing 1 and is just going through the motions for credits.. dont make this kid compare his work to that

Last edited by BillTheBro; January 28th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the feeling but as everyone has said op barely passing isn't too good. In life you get the short stick. Just stick with it and take the advice, id love to get some.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheBro View Post
    Looks like this artist learned the basics long before drawing 1 and is just going through the motions for credits.. dont make this kid compare his work to that
    That's my own work, and no, I didn't learn a lot before time. I can't even show you how I drew before that, because I didn't draw before that, except one or two little attempts a year.

You can see my 'pre-instructional' drawings in my sketchbook as well. However, I do get A's in my art classes, and there are at least 4-6 other students in each of my classes that produce similar level work, and the bulk of the class is not too far behind. But, I do take this stuff seriously.

Last edited by Conniekat8; January 28th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    ^ I've been under impression they're more of a technical school and had a smwh decent employment rate for tech artists - scripters, riggers, etc;
    looks like the art side of things is much less convincing.

qute, lol
    I soooo misread that the first time -_-;;;;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to university for information technology and we have the same problem. Some of the classes are rubbish. Sometimes professors flat out teach you the wrong way to do things because they assume you won't be able to understand the right way. The people who do the bare minimum for each assignment get out being able to write "hello world" and find the area of a rectangle in four different languages. The ones who put time and effort into learning things on their own become successful programmers later on. You can't always rely on authorities to tell you what's wrong with your work, especially if they're mollycoddling you. I've seen fantastic self taught artists who learned how to be their own harshest critics. What you get out of school and life is directly proportional to what you put into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's probably because it's one of the for profit colleges. Not all of them are bad but remember schools with ..iffy accreditation...well...

School is what you make the most of. It's just that people put a lot of the stress on the teachers, and yes - that's what they get paid for. A lot of people however, don't want to take some personal responsibility that the teacher can only get you so far and the rest is up to the individual.

I pretty much never heard of some person that couldn't draw at all become suddenly amazing because of a good teacher. I have heard a person who couldn't draw well having developed the passion to make themselves achieve because a teacher is inspirational and helpful. However, it was mostly that person that made it happen. Having a good teacher is a great push.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I pretty much never heard of some person that couldn't draw at all become suddenly amazing because of a good teacher.
    Actually I see this every semester. One of my friends (mentor in many ways really) is a remarkable teacher. You can see it by the work of his beginning students that he displays in our cases a few times every semester. I agree techers like him are rare...but they are out there.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have a friend that went there for Graphic Design. He's ok, not amazing. But while in the school and coming out of it he won design contests, ended up his design being on a race car and now has a full time job.

I wouldn't deem the school bad, but obviously individual results may vary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Actually I see this every semester. One of my friends (mentor in many ways really) is a remarkable teacher. You can see it by the work of his beginning students that he displays in our cases a few times every semester. I agree techers like him are rare...but they are out there.
    Yes, but again that individual has to want it. Not sit there and think some formula of teacher= make me an artist.

Person has to really want to be an artist and listen to that teacher. And there are teachers that can get students to listen but there are many you...just can't teach and think it's some kind of automatic process.

People will seek out good teachers if they know they need the help and want the leg up. But as the saying goes you can't lead a horse to water if they still refuse to drink.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 28th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheBro View Post
    That's Connie's work...sheesh.

Uhh, excuse me but why the hell not? Everyone at different stages of drawing go to college. The point is a basic criteria is met. If you don't make it - you fail.
    You want to be able to make it in the industry. Not "well Jimmy you tried, so here you go" - this is not Meet the Fockers :/

This "going through the motions for the credits" is bullshit. It was what was expected of her course.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not "well Jimmy you tried, so here you go" - this is not Meet the Fockers :/
    Great job! 14th place! We're so proud of you!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes, I misread that my first time, too. I had to double-check to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, and they were. I almost thought it was a derogatory racist word.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroudStar View Post
    Arshes, I misread that my first time, too. I had to double-check to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, and they were. I almost thought it was a derogatory racist word.
    XD I could see a school opening like that on an episode of Boondocks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    When you ask for opinions on the Net you get a grab bag of whatever bored people feel like typing that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    pigs in pink tutus

/thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XD I could see a school opening like that on an episode of Boondocks...
    Boondocks would be the perfect show to air that kind of social commentary. I can see that. Although, the one time I did see Boondocks, all of the older relatives were Bruce Lee-ing across the screen. Mighty awesome and funny at the same time. I love the art style.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ShroudStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    In my experience, people who are excellent, both at doing their thing and teaching their thing, are extremely rare. This doesn't just hold for art.

This doesn't mean that excellent teachers are generally bad artists, mathematicians, gigolos, butchers, serial killers or whatever they are teaching, they do need to have a solid grasp of drawing and painting, sucking, slicing up pigs, cutting throats or whatever.

In the past 46 years I have met at most a fistful of people who are excellent at what they are doing and excellent at teaching. They are rare.

It also casts a shadow over schools who are boasting that their staff are working professionals. If I have to choose between a good artist and a good teacher, I am more than happy to choose the latter...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque@xs4all.nl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep wondering if the teacher just didn't like him. They're people too; maybe the student looked like some guy who used to pick on him. Coincidentally, that delusion made me paranoid about doctors for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    In my experience, people who are excellent, both at doing their thing and teaching their thing, are extremely rare. This doesn't just hold for art.

This doesn't mean that excellent teachers are generally bad artists, mathematicians, gigolos, butchers, serial killers or whatever they are teaching, they do need to have a solid grasp of drawing and painting, sucking, slicing up pigs, cutting throats or whatever.

In the past 46 years I have met at most a fistful of people who are excellent at what they are doing and excellent at teaching. They are rare.

It also casts a shadow over schools who are boasting that their staff are working professionals. If I have to choose between a good artist and a good teacher, I am more than happy to choose the latter...
    Yep, like I said, they're rare...but they are out there. It's a bell curve like any other distribution...a few gems at the one end, a variety of levels in the middle, and a few useless at the other.

Unfortunately I think with "academic institutions" (colleges, universities)teaching is weighted heavy on the poor side in large part to academic requirements (degrees) as oppsed to professional ability. Then again, there are plenty of options out there as well for private instruction from working professionals.

The accreditation component Arshes mentioned is very important. There are a few "for profit" institutions that are outstanding, but plenty more that are absolutely horrible. And then there are some that aren't even accredited like Feng Zhu or Red Engine Studios (I don't think they are accredited at least, correct me if wrong), except by what is far more important than accreditation, and that is results.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always kind of remember that commercials are often targeted towards a certain demographic.

If you see those for profit colleges advertising at the the same time with those commercials that "you still owe the IRS" "your car has been impounded" "You can live a normal life with Valtrex" ...you might wonder...who they are targeting.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teaching only helps with theory and knowledge, it is practice(homework) that deals with familiarity. Once a student's familiarity is gained, more advanced knowledge becomes easier to teach. If the student is unfamiliar with the fundamental knowledge, they will keep asking questions that eventually traces back to their gap within their knowledge of the fundamentals.

I find having a firm background in academics to be valuable in becoming a better teacher. Imagine the teaching insights you would attain when trying to explain complex mathematics to clueless students. Plus, you get to experience what works and what doesn't comparatively between academic classes and art classes.

One technique some physicists use to improve their teaching abilities is trying to explain their subject to a 10 year old. One doesn't actually have to find a 10 year old to do this, one can do this as a mental experiment by asking "why?" at the end of every one of your explanations(that is until you come to the limits of standard knowledge). If one gets stuck at a "why?" before reaching the limits of standard knowledge, then one may realize it is actually a gap in knowledge of their subjects that prevents them from becoming a better teacher. By doing this, you gain a sense of what your subject is built up upon, and how one can rebuild or establish this subject onto the minds of others.

But teaching can only go so far, and it relies all very heavily on the student's passion in continuing the pursuit of the subject. I had taken an A.P. US history course in high school, big whoop! I read the entire textbook, big whoop! Got a decent 3 on my A.P. exam, big whoop! Why? Because today, I have forgotten most of what I learned about.

Art students might hate classes that deals nothing with art. Likewise, I used to hate mathematics, but being forced to take mathematics and academic courses I didn't like, made me realize how much my life was confined to a small bubble, like a fish in a pond. And I know that by wiring my brain around mathematics, it had helped me in some way within the realm of art and life general. Likewise as something said by a past art teacher, who exclaimed in similarity to that of, "successful artists need to do more than just make art", and in particular he said, "you also need to learn how to write". And the writing he talks of includes more than knowing just the grammars, but you also need to be (socially) intelligent. Intelligence in general helps you solve problems, such as "how to read a book", and helps you make better decisions.

Last edited by Vay; January 29th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much good advice in this thread. Too bad the OP isn't here to see it. Even if he was here resisting it, it may end up sinking in at some point (years) down the road....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    So much good advice in this thread. Too bad the OP isn't here to see it. Even if he was here resisting it, it may end up sinking in at some point (years) down the road....

It already sunk in Connie. I've actually been drawing a lot more this previous weekend. I downloaded all the Andrew Loomis books and I've been trying to figure out how to make my shading.. correct, if I suppose. I even drew a small still life of a random object to get more practice in.

I know re-taking the class isn't going to teach me the fundamentals everyone here is talking about, so I have to take it upon myself to learn them on my own. I just found that a lot more advice came into the thread after I said I was leaving, then when I was actually here.

39. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Iso For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good for you man...that can be pretty hard stuff to take sometimes.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm glad you came back as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.