I failed my Art I class by 3 points?!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question I failed my Art I class by 3 points?!

So I've been attending Full Sail University since September now, but I've only just taken Art I this past month (Jan). The other classes were the basics I took online. Now I'm no horrible artist. I know I need work, I even told myself to get my own style of art I would need to start over and learn the basics. Full Sail didn't really teach me the basics... We just did assignments I've done back in Art I during High School. Drawing Still Life shapes and Fruit, color knowledge with our simple characters, and linear perspective. The ladder two are what I really felt that I learned. Now my work wasn't bad. All of the studio artist (These are the students who help the teacher that graduated) and the teacher himself said my work was definitely going to get me a good passing grade.

Now grading day was yesterday and I was one of the lucky few to be graded by the head director of our Art department, Brian Densmore. Me, along with a few others failed. I was the only one who failed by three points though. Brian talked to me one on one, telling me he could tell I had some great skill because of one piece and thought it was outstanding, but felt I needed to be held back to go over the basics of Art again before he allowed me to move on. I showed some other classmates who passed and they both agreed my work was way better than a 67. One of the guys even said my work was better than his. He also said Art was based on perspective from other people and felt that I should have been graded by other people as well, instead of just one person who barely failed me.

I'm furious about this. Should I upload some of my pieces here to show/have critiqued by everyone? I don't feel I should have failed for reasons that my teacher told me I would pass for. Can anyone talk to me about this situation or something in general?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is shooting for a barely passing grade the best you can do?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    Should I upload some of my pieces here to show/have critiqued by everyone?
    Go for it, if it will make you feel better. Stick them in the critique section of the forums and I'll check them out. I have to concur with Conniekat though, would you actually have been happy with barely passing?

It is frustrating, but I doubt the blame lies on the director.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No I wouldn't have been happy with barely passing. I was boosted up by the teachers that the work I did was pretty impressive. The way they approached me in class, critiqued, and talked to me about it-- it seemed they loved it. I believe I deserve a B at least. It seems no one received an A in the class either. My work was a lot better than some of the things the school has displayed up for the art work. I'm not saying I'm great, but I know impressive work when I see it and I know when I can do better or have done better. Would you feel/think you would get a C if the "professionals" of the class boasted about your work as so?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, is there a chance then we can see examples of your stuff? It would add strength to your argument.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes. I can upload when I get back home. My friends are trying to show me the process of having my art re-graded. And to bring this point back up, if it comes to barely passing and failing; I'd rather barely pass. Failing is a huge difference from that. No one should want that. Especially when your money is being spent for the classes.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm furious about this. Should I upload some of my pieces here to show/have critiqued by everyone? I don't feel I should have failed for reasons that my teacher told me I would pass for. Can anyone talk to me about this situation or something in general?
    Uhh yeah? How can we talk about your situation when we can't even see the work. Just post the work, less replies about "going to post it"

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes. I can upload when I get back home. My friends are trying to show me the process of having my art re-graded. And to bring this point back up, if it comes to barely passing and failing; I'd rather barely pass. Failing is a huge difference from that. No one should want that. Especially when your money is being spent for the classes.
    You're paying someone for advice; the advice was you need more fundamentals.
    So STFU and knuckle down and work.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I put the art in my Sketchbook since I will have to make one eventually. For now it's filled with my months work of Full Sail's Art I. You guys can see the art here; http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...62#post3361162

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you do need more work on the fundamentals and that isn't a bad thing. Your shading is very scratchy and flat adding nothing in terms of form and volume. Instead of creating convincing 3-d shapes, your shading seems to just lay on the paper like pattern. I hope that makes sense. Also the shapes in your first two drawings seem distorted as if you are not drawing them in the correct perspective.

I would rather be failed than to be passed on if my art needed more work. Just take the class again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taking the class again puts me behind. I've never been put behind on anything. -__-
    I understand where you're coming from. You've said more than the actual director who graded me, but are you saying that the shading in all my pieces looks scratchy and just lays on the paper?

I mean-- my personal choice for shading is usually Cross Hatching, but I don't think it's bad enough to fail...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, looking at your work, I'm not surprised. And I'm not trying to be mean when I say that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm not happy you are feeling frustrated Iso, but I blame whatever teacher was blowing smoke up your ass.

As dpaint said, knuckle down pal. No two ways about it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Taking the class again puts me behind. I've never been put behind on anything. -__-
    Honestly, a chance to polish your understanding of fundamentals will never put you behind, at least art wise, so use this chance for all its worth, and proceed to do more advanced stuff on your own. This website has huge amounts of knowledge for you to do that.
    Because yeah, I too see why you didn't get through the course.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is BS. Why should I be the one to fail while others who were worse than me get to move ahead. This is Art I. The school expects you to start at 0% with the basic knowledge, but wants you to become Pro Artist in a month, with only two days a week of class. Then three of you tell me you 'see' why I didn't get through the course, but only one person actually told me what he saw was wrong. I'm not understanding how my teacher and other people see volume and understanding of it, but you all don't. The only one I would allow to be called flat would be the still life and the color characters (Because I really dislike them). My shading can't be flat if my teacher approves of it, unless he's just some random person fresh into Art. But he's not... So... All of you should actually explain and attempt to help someone the way you try to proclaim to, but that's not what's happening. It's borderline bashing really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of a class is this for?

I agree, you need to spend some serious time hammering on the fundamentals. If you don't learn those, you won't have anything to build on, when it gets to the advanced stuff. That will put you seriously behind. Working more on fundamentals will never put you behind, ever.

Go have a peek at my sketchbook for beginner work. Like 'just started the art fundamentals' kind of work, and this is just at a community college, not even a serious art school. (ignore the 3D parts)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's a first time for everything.

It's hard to say whether you are any worse than your classmates without seeing their art, it's hard to say whether you should have failed the course, maybe you should try for a re-grade but if you ever want a job that involves any amount of drawing you need to get your butt to a drawing board and start improving fast. Your teachers should not have told you this work was very impressive.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

25. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But he's not... So... All of you should actually explain and attempt to help someone the way you try to proclaim to, but that's not what's happening. It's borderline bashing really.
    I don't have to do shit and neither does anyone else. Pull up your big boy pants and accept the facts here. You sound like someone who expects to get his own way all the time.

Take it from me, life is not fair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an example of drawing and shading we're expected to do in beginning drawing in my community college (not even an art school), in a one day a week class.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So... All of you should actually explain and attempt to help someone the way you try to proclaim to, but that's not what's happening. It's borderline bashing really.
    We'd just be repeating each other, but fine.

Everything's flat, stiff, scratchy, and because of that your attempts at representing value fail.

Your still life is the most obvious example. I could swear you did nothing other than haphazardly scratch in whatever value you assumed to be there. You didn't measure any planes, there's no indication that there's any sort of underdrawing for it at all, and your proportions are all over the place. You just rush to the end and expect it to work itself out.

These are obvious amateur signs that you need to get past. So no, I'm not surprised you were held back. You DO need to learn your fundamentals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Connie It's for an Art I class at Full Sail University. They have accelerated programs that teach you one course in a month, but it's not really teaching. More like lecture, then lab in one day. The next day start a new project and repeat the process. There's no given time to complete everything in a normal Art class. (At least the norm that I've taken in High School and Community College).

Also, that's some great line work. We didn't go through any of that. Day 1 was draw these pile of shapes. Day two was draw these objects for Still Life. We were to shade everything on our own time. With time and a helpful critique every so often I could do the beginning drawing at your college too. I'm not boasting myself, but I know the things I can do.

@Vineris I will try for a re-grade today. I know in order to get a job that invokes any taste of what I want to do, I need to crank some hours into my practicing work alone. I do this, and now I see I need to do it a lot more throughout the day.

@Star Eater If you don't have to do anything then what are you in this thread for? I'm looking for helpful advice and you're being improper about the situation. if you're trying to help someone or critique them, you tell them whats wrong, why it's wrong, and how to improve it. I don't sound like I get everything I want because if that was the case I sure as hell wouldn't be here with this thread right now or in this situation.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only one I would allow to be called flat would be the still life and the color characters (Because I really dislike them).
    Okay, might that actually relate at all to the reasons why you didn't get through? I mean if you can't do art you're happy of in the course, you shouldn't assume your teacher is happy with them either.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry to hear that, the only way out would be to do what vineris said of trying to get a re-grade, other than that there's no point in coming here fighting everybody over what they say about your art.
    It never hurts to practice the fundamentals again and it's too bad that you have to pay another semester but what else can you do? that's life.
    Take this as a lesson to bust your ass in the upcoming semesters and try to be better than you already are even if teachers and other people keep telling you your art is already great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Okay, might that actually relate at all to the fact you didn't get through?
    I don't think those themselves should determine if I get through or not. They were the first pieces of the class and I'd have to have improved.

@PsychoTime Thanks for pointing something out for me! But I didn't haphazardly scratch in anything. We had to draw them from a picture on our phones so I did just that. An Underdrawing? As in a Pre-Pro or Skeleton of some sort? I actually drew about 6-10 of them, then the actual size one was blank for awhile until I could tell the shadows apart from what. Since we weren't allowed to leave space behind it, I had to install a curtain in the background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know it hurts you to have failed but it's really not as bad as you make it out to be. You should be glad you have someone actually grading your work instead of passing you along until you graduate. I have taken classes again myself because I felt I needed more work. When I graduated, I went back to the fundamentals. I AM DOING IT NOW and I've been out of school for 3 years. Do it to increase the strength of your art. Forget about your other classmates.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Mama View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, the only way out would be to do what vineris said of trying to get a re-grade, other than that there's no point in coming here fighting everybody over what they say about your art.
    It never hurts to practice the fundamentals again and it's too bad that you have to pay another semester but what else can you do? that's life.
    Take this as a lesson to bust your ass in the upcoming semesters and try to be better than you already are even if teachers and other people keep telling you your art is already great.
    I didn't come here to fight anyone, I came for skillful advice, but when people just tell me the extended version of "Your work sucks." it doesn't help at all. I don't see how that would help anyone for that matter. And It's not the fact they said it's great or impressive, but more along the lines I feel cheated or lied too. If it's crap work or something needs to be fixed they should say so right? Not tell me it's good then when grading comes and some random guy grades it, I fail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, even though you're starting off, and your teachers may have decieved you, you gotta learn to be your harshest critic and be harder on yourself than anyone else is. And even though getting told "Your work sucks" doesn't exactly tell you how to improve, sometimes a kick in ass is the only way to get someone to shift things into overdrive when they need to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think those themselves should determine if I get through or not.
    No, I don't think they determine why you didn't get through, but it might be a good indication about the quality of the work that the reviewer judges you of.
    I mean I wouldn't make a portfolio or whatever that contains work I really dislike myself and expect those pieces to win others over.
    Personally I'd re-do the images as many times needed to get them be how I wanted, and ask extra time or the chance to continue them at home if the time got short, instead of going "I really dislike these and I will be judged based on these but whatever".

And honestly, sometimes it's just that your skills don't cut it. You defend yourself with "didn't haphazardly scratch in anything" but even if you feel you didn't, that's what it looks like, sorry.
    I really don't get what you were expecting of this thread, that we'd all be like "oh poor you, you are a great artist and the teacher was a meany-poo"? Our advice has been "deal with it and try harder next time". That's all you can do.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't come here to fight anyone, I came for skillful advice, but when people just tell me the extended version of "Your work sucks." it doesn't help at all. I don't see how that would help anyone for that matter. And It's not the fact they said it's great or impressive, but more along the lines I feel cheated or lied too. If it's crap work or something needs to be fixed they should say so right? Not tell me it's good then when grading comes and some random guy grades it, I fail.
    Honestly I didn't see anyone saying your stuff sucks, they basically said that the person who graded you was right.

As for feeling cheated, I know the feeling and that's why I tell you even if people tell you your work is great and that you're awesome, be thankful for the nice comments you receive but always strive to improve, never give up on learning.

Yep if there's something wrong people should tell you, but sometimes people don't really know whats wrong with it or don't know how to fix it, that's why you have to be like stabby2486 said, be your harshest critic.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.