My thoughts on the Loomis Ball and Plain Method

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My thoughts on the Loomis Ball and Plain Method

Hey guys, I've recently started drawing (I'll post some of my portfolio soon) and I've been reading the various Loomis books and the related discussions on this forum. I've been a bit obsessed with the ball and plain method and how to construct a head correctly. I found this thread especially helpful, but I've bastardised it a little and come up with my own.

So I thought I'd share the method that I've come up with, partly because I have some questions but mainly to get your opinions on whether or not its complete bollocks.

I'm not too sure if the measuring methods I'm using are correct? Also, I never know how much of the ball to slice off and how to measure it?

The instructions on the method are below the attached image, please let me know what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Name:  ghost-method.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  56.0 KB

1. Draw a circle and establish the centre point.

2. Draw a horizontal and vertical line across the centre point.

3. Establish the brow - decide if the head is looking up or down and by how much, then place a horizontal line.

4. Establish the centre of the face - decide if the head is looking left or right and by how much, then place a vertical line.

5. You now have the brow point.

6. Establish the correct angle of the face. To do this we need to understand that the brow point is a flat cross fixed on the sphere, and that however much it is titled up from the centre (for the brow line) this is how much the face plane is angled. So take the distance from the centre of the circle to the brow line (6.a) and (from where the vertical face line intersects with the bottom of the circle) place a point an equal distance in the direction that the head is looking (6.b).

7. Draw a line from the brow point to the point made in step 6, we now have the correct angle of the face.

8. We now establish the ellipse for the brow line. This is based on the principle that if you place two points on opposite sides of a sphere with 180 degrees between them, however much you rotate one point in one direction, the opposite point rotates by the same amount in the opposite direction. So take the distance from the vertical centre line and face line (that we established in step 4) (8.a) and place two points on the horizontal centre line the same distance inwards from the edge of the circle (8b) (8c). These two points are the places where the normal of the brow line ellipse penetrates the surface of the sphere, the one furthest away from the face line is the one we can see, the other is hidden behind the sphere.

9. Now draw a half ellipse from the brow line to these two points, remember that one point is on the opposite side of the sphere, and we can't actually see it.

10. Extend the angle face plane line and mark the chin point, nose point, brow point and hair line. Remembering the principle from step 8 about rotating points, so in this example the hair line will be just out of view.

11. Slice off the sides of the head and mark a cross on the new oval. I've had to estimate here because the hair line is out of view, also I havant worked out what Im doing here…

12. Connect everything up.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't check the details, it looks fine to me. Head constructions, from Loomis, Bridgman or whoever, are an excellent start, but don't get clogged up too much in the geometrical details. Next step is to see how real heads fit the construction, by reconstructing live heads...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ball and "plane"...just fyi. Good effort - will probably help with your understanding of construction - but way to technical to be any practical use. With experience and practice that becomes a 5-10 second starting point.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Ball and "plane"...just fyi. Good effort - will probably help with your understanding of construction - but way to technical to be any practical use. With experience and practice that becomes a 5-10 second starting point.
    I'm going with that /\ . General perspective studies combined with some exploration of the skull and face will give you the groundwork to fudge out a rough without so much technical stuffs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    I'm going with that /\ . General perspective studies combined with some exploration of the skull and face will give you the groundwork to fudge out a rough without so much technical stuffs.
    Yes I agree, I've been studying the skull, and perspective is the next thing I need to focus on, I know I havnt taken it in to account here.

The reason I'm focusing on this is that it seems like the most fool proof way of constructing a head without any reference.

I want to make sure though that the way I'm measuring, particularly in step 6, does any one have any feedback on this?

Also I never know how much of the ball to chop off, any advice?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjamesghost View Post
    Yes I agree, I've been studying the skull, and perspective is the next thing I need to focus on, I know I havnt taken it in to account here.

The reason I'm focusing on this is that it seems like the most fool proof way of constructing a head without any reference.

I want to make sure though that the way I'm measuring, particularly in step 6, does any one have any feedback on this?

Also I never know how much of the ball to chop off, any advice?
    I'll try again, the way you're measuring is too precise/technical. My advice is to stop coming up with measuring schemes and formulas and draw a few hundred heads tilted in all kinds of ways. Sculpting yourself a little simplified version of a head, lighting it and drawing it a lot will help much more than measuring this distance, putting points here, etc.

You're making this way too complicated...you just have to get in there and do it...no safety net.

Edit: Oh, and get "Fun With a Pencil"...start there....it's fun. Plus you'll see there is a wide range of head types and structures.

Last edited by JeffX99; January 27th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

To OP: Check out this site: http://innao.blogspot.com/2010/09/he...solved_28.html

It's the same method you're using, just that she clarifies it better than the guy (JohnB) who came up with it. These guys are all geniuses!

I gave up on the method after a while because like Jeff says, it gets too technical and confusing especially with heads in challenging angles, and all I see on my paper are a mess of dots and calculations. And it's very difficult to pull off this math-inspired method of construction in an actual life drawing class (try it ).

The good part is that it gives you a layer of confidence and you can use it in your own studies and stuff, until you get more confident, that's when you abandon this math method and rely on instinct, observation and more "normal" construction.

Have fun!
    Xeon

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can't follow any construction method without taking perspective into account. Construction is all about conceptualizing three-dimensional form on a flat surface.
    Loomis' biggest flaw is that he presents the "ball and plane" as a beginner's method, when it actually presupposes quite a bit of foreknowledge. If you can't draw a properly constructed bisected sphere, you're certainly not going to be able to build a head around it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your process is overly mechanical and leaves no room for interpretation. Basically the way drawing works is that you think/feel/sense something and then you make a mark which embodies that thought/feeling/sense. This procedure you're using is too stripped down and abstract to be of any use, and will be a hindrance to beginners.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.