Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

well.. I'm not to proud to BEG for help on this [pet abuse]

I'm involved in a charity group, an animal (cat, and a dog subsidiary) rescue place.

About once a year we uncover a horrible case of hoarding and animal neglect... and that's what just happened few days ago.... It is horribly heartbreaking, It's making me cry in sadness and frustration and anger and whatever else, and I'm not too proud to beg to try and help these poor neglected little critters, some of which are hanging on to dear life. We're not sure of the full count, 17 cats had to be hospitalized, and there are another I gather 40-50 being transferred to temporary/foster homes, for medicine, socialization and getting them adopted.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you can afford it, make a donation to help us with medical bills for the poor critters, or help spread the word.

More info and paypal donation on this page (donate/chip in button is in the upper right) Spoiler: the pics are pretty graphic showing ill and mistreated kitties, some will lose their eyes due to a neglected viral infection... It is jut horrible :cry:

http://theforgottendisabledanimals.c...55146ce99a59bf

This is a legit charity, and donations are tax deductible. If you want to check them out and make sure everything is on the 'up and up' here is the website: http://www.meoowzresq.com/ We are completely volunteer run, noone, not even the founder takes a salary. Every penny we earn from donations and adoption fees goes back to the kitties. Typically we have about 80 foster families and 400-ish cats in the groups, and we find new homes for 30-60 of them each week. Most of our kitties are pulled from kill-shelters, so they are not put to sleep. AFAIK, We have special contracts with a number of shelters in southern California that allows us to do this.
    All the kitties we take on are vetted (made sure they are healthy and up to date with vaccines) and also spayed or neutered, and the new owners are screened to make sure the darlings end up in good loving hands.

I's sorry if this violates forum rules or your sensibilities... I just can't not try whatever I can think of.

If you can't donate, maybe you can help me spread the word somehow.
    There is info about this on the facebook pages.

http://www.facebook.com/MeoowzResQ
    and.. if I made a special offer from my little store, for people interested in 3D content, they can get stuff, when they make a donation. If anyone here in interested in it, the offer is also open. :
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/BadKit...35453179828406

Last edited by Conniekat8; January 27th, 2012 at 04:10 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh man :c
    that just made me go and cuddle my cat.
    Sorry to say that I can't offer any money, but I'll tell my friends who do and I give all my hope for those animals
    It is really nice what you and the organization are doing by helping those animals.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks! I'm hoping few more people will spread the word....
    I'm just getting going today, if I hear of any news about the situation, I'll do an update.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Connie, what a coincidence, my mom volunteers for Meoowzresq as well! I can vouch that they're 100% legitimate.

I reeeeeally hope all these kitties are okay and get great new homes. If I had any money right now, I'd still be donating, but unfortunately I'm about as broke as a person can get. Hearing these stories breaks my heart though.

Now that I know you're in Southern Cali and into helping kitty rescues, if you ever want to work on some sort of art charity thing (auction, book, calender, whatever), get in contact with me. A lot of people give money to help wild animals (which is great), but they often forget about the little local ones. Since we domesticated kitties and puppies, I feel we have even more responsibility as a species to look after them.
    'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh, Hi PuppyKitten, how cool is that! It's quite possible I met your mom IRL!!!!

Yeah, we make the little ones into pets, and then they get discarded like old toys when people get bored and move onto the new excitement. So many people don't know that critters that we take in as pets don't know how to survive out on their own.... and they let them out anyway, not spayed or neutered, no vaccines... Makes me sooooo furious how inhuman and stoopid and irresponsible us hoomans can be!

I'd love to work on some kind of a charity related art project. Meoowz has couple fundraising events too where, among other things they will auction donated artwork, paintings whatnot. I'm getting closer with my drawing skills and I've been trying to work up a courage to donate a pet portrait commission or two or so... I think I'll do something like that for the next one.

But something bigger and nicer and collaborative would be a wonderful thing to do. I think it would be good for both, as a fundraiser, and for our portfolios!
    You can PM me here, or email me at conniekat8@yahoo.com, let's talk about that some more!!!!!

Thanks
    That's just sad and happens all too often

Sorry, can't offer money at the moment.

I'd love to work on some kind of a charity related art project. Meoowz has couple fundraising events too where, among other things they will auction donated artwork, paintings whatnot. I'm getting closer with my drawing skills and I've been trying to work up a courage to donate a pet portrait commission or two or so... I think I'll do something like that for the next one.
    CA could have a charity-section where people could donate just simple artwork even made for the purpose that people could buy from a few bucks -> up, and the money could go to something like this. But then again, it would take a huge lot of administration nobody feels like doing, right? -Even if shipped from home adresses?

I hope the kitties will find a nice home soon, and that they will all survive and get well and happy!!

EDIT:
    But something bigger and nicer and collaborative would be a wonderful thing to do. I think it would be good for both, as a fundraiser, and for our portfolios!
    Like what exactly do you have in mind?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    Like what exactly do you have in mind?
    A brainstorm session?

I actually don't have anything specific in mind yet. So far I've only been getting get half baked fleeting though about various projects.

I'm open to ideas.

Thanks
    This is horrible and sad.

I am interested as well. I've never done charity related work/donations before, only because the ones I've seen/heard of make me a little wary and whatnot. This sounds like something I would love to contribute to.

Unfortunately, cannot offer any money. Would love to adopt, only I am allergic to most cats. As for which breeds that would trigger my allergies less, I do not know.

I hope these cats find loving and caring homes/owners.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkabit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I was thinking we'd recruit more artists so that our options would be less limited. Maybe something simple like ebay auctions of original pieces would be alright if it's just me and Conniekat8 and a couple others. But since SoCal has a lot of artists, putting together a local show/collection in places with a lot of foot traffic would work as well. It seems to work well for the artists down at the beach. Out front of a Petco in a busy strip mall, or near a dog beach on a Saturday... We could probably work something out for free.

There are a ton of other options, but a lot of them require printing costs or other overhead costs which seem like a pretty risky idea to me.

Anyway, I suck at organizing anything, but off the top of my head I know of at least one other local artist who would be up for donating a couple paintings.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakhon View Post
    This is horrible and sad.

I am interested as well. I've never done charity related work/donations before, only because the ones I've seen/heard of make me a little wary and whatnot. This sounds like something I would love to contribute to.

Unfortunately, cannot offer any money. Would love to adopt, only I am allergic to most cats. As for which breeds that would trigger my allergies less, I do not know.

I hope these cats find loving and caring homes/owners.
    I'm allergic to cats as well. It takes me a number of months to stop being allergic to any particular cat. I have four who cause me no problems now, but when I use to foster new cats, I was always itchy/sneezy. I didn't mind much though.

Anyway, it is really sweet of you to offer your art. I'm really hoping this charity drive works out.

Edit: Oops, sorry for the double post. I thought Nakhon's post was after mine.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    Well, I was thinking we'd recruit more artists so that our options would be less limited. Maybe something simple like ebay auctions of original pieces would be alright if it's just me and Conniekat8 and a couple others. But since SoCal has a lot of artists, putting together a local show/collection in places with a lot of foot traffic would work as well. It seems to work well for the artists down at the beach. Out front of a Petco in a busy strip mall, or near a dog beach on a Saturday... We could probably work something out for free.

There are a ton of other options, but a lot of them require printing costs or other overhead costs which seem like a pretty risky idea to me.

Anyway, I suck at organizing anything, but off the top of my head I know of at least one other local artist who would be up for donating a couple paintings.
    You know, last year I joined the San Clemente Art association... I've been paying my dues, but haven't gotten very active. I do know they organize various art events. This could give me a good reason to start talking to them and see what shakes out. At the minimum they may be willing to offer advice...

With any kind of a show, I think rather then getting paintings and art, the bigger part of the battle may be getting it in front of the right audience... Let me think about that a bit... I'm usually pretty handy with marketing once I investigate the situation. It may give me a bit more incentive to get familiar with the gallery and art scene around here. I always find it easier to market something other then just myself.

Also, some of the stuff can be presented right at Meoowz events.... I used to work events most of last year, and there are always people oooohing and aaahing, and can't take on a kitty, but may be willing to buy this or that to support the good cause. The 'donation jars' we would put up just don't do the trick... even though, people still donate, even that way. I haven't done any events since mid-fall so I don't know if that part has changed. But... I'm thinking, it would be good to get the 'cause' in front of different audiences too.
    Last edited by Conniekat8; January 27th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks
    Yay! You can definitely take the wheel on the marketing stuff then, because I have no social skills whatsoever and the thought of marketing to people directly leaves me huddled in a corner hyperventilating.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    Yay! You can definitely take the wheel on the marketing stuff then, because I have no social skills whatsoever and the thought of marketing to people directly leaves me huddled in a corner hyperventilating.
    I'm only like that when I have to plug my own stuff, or just socialize. When I have to 'sell' someone else's stuff, I turn into an extrovert. Odd how that works.

Thanks
    Loathe animal abuse and hoarding. All the cats I've taken in have been shelter cats who have come from less than savory conditions, unfortunately they're often an abundance at shelters due to people thinking that rescue = bad. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Hope they reach the goal soon, and I hope everything turns out for the better for the animals.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Murphy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    heres' an update from the rescue:
    From MeoowzResQ
    UPDATE: We have begun the spay/neuter of the adults in the house taking two each day on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. This will continue until all are done. They will be returned to the house until fosters or adopters can be found for them. You can help us by sharing our posts to spread the word that we need fosters and adopters. Every cat that is adopted or every new foster makes room for us to save another life. Thank you so much to all of you for your support and for caring about these helpless babies

This is in addition ti the initial 17 that have been hospitalized. I don't have any news on their status.

So past the funds for the vet expenses, second part of the battle is to find temporary and then permanent homes for the kitties.

Thanks
    If I didn't have four cats already, I'd absolutely be a foster home again. Please continue to keep us updated. I feel so helpless when I hear stories like this.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ugh, that's just horrifying Those poor cats. I can't take any in since I live in Canada, but I chipped in a bit >.< Hope you have luck finding homes and people to care for them!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DSiwek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    I'm only like that when I have to plug my own stuff, or just socialize. When I have to 'sell' someone else's stuff, I turn into an extrovert. Odd how that works.
    I'm the complete opposite. I'm extroverted as all get out when I'm around people and somewhat when I work on my own stuff. I have to get out of my room constantly in order to work (I hope that changes to some extent...I need to focus more at home. ).

I've never had any experiences selling stuff to people. However, I do know that my personality between 'regular-everyday me' vs. 'business me', they couldn't be more opposite. That conflicting feeling is probably because I've watched and observed people for many years and know that every person has 'two faces' (even I), whether or not they wish to show it to me.

Thus, the problem arises when 'formality/importance' comes in...as I kind of despise it. It makes me twitch and irritated when someone tries to sound/talk importantly, just because or even in a business setting. It feels like fingernails on a chalkboard.
    Last edited by Monkabit; January 28th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkabit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Update: They're hoping all of the female cats have been spayed, to stop the inbreeding. There is a group of feral ones they are working on trapping now to spay them. I think those are from the garage and indor/outdoor area.

Thanks
    We got a segment on local radio show about the rescue effort. You can see the recordings here:
    SEGMENT 8 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20072194
    SEGMENT 9 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20072421

It also has updates on their conditions.

Thanks
    New status updates on the donation page:
    http://theforgottendisabledanimals.c...55146ce99a59bf

First and the healthiest of the hoarding kitties already got adopted this weekend.
    Last edited by Conniekat8; January 31st, 2012 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks
    OH MY GOD POOR KITTY. i almost threw up at that eyeball cat excuse me, i really hope they will be saved and taken care of. good luck. you guys are doing an admirable thing.
    I have to write 'I will not spam' a thousand times in the next week, in by bestest hand writing and say sorry to Black Spot for being so cheeky.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to FourLeafClover For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Since some people are interested in adopting but have allergies, maybe this book will be of help. http://amzn.com/0553383671

I cannot adopt due to the no pets rule in my apt and all animals I have are small ones which would be considered prey animals for cats. Hopefully though people who still are interested might find some guides in the book if they still want to adopt.

Mostly allergies are caused by the dander in the animal, the more they produce the more prone you are but there are ways to live with an animal.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh, this is so sad. Those poor kitty cats. I adopted one of my cats and I found the other one alone on the street when he was only a few weeks old. I could never understand how anyone could be so cruel to such beautiful creatures. I am up for adopting more cats in to home but I just can't afford to at the moment . Those cats will be in my prayers every night. I hope they find a loving home where they will receive the proper care they need.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Peipei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yea, the kitties are progressing, I hear couple of them have been adopted already (which is super quick) and some are getting moved from the veterinary hospital to fosters. Lot of the kitties that haven't gotten the fosters yet are getting spayed and neutered.

If anyone wants to watch for direct updates about this set of kitties and a number of others., they tend to show up on Facebook first: http://www.facebook.com/MeoowzResQ

Thanks
    I really do hate cats (I;m a bird person, very biased against them.) but my heart does ache for these poor cats. The photos are gut wrenching/ Kind of sad to wonder what mental state the Hoarder had to be in to allow these cats to thrive and grow more and more ill.

Thanks
    Now, that I remember. I saw a few stray cats here where I live, here in Tampa. There are alot of them running around I've heard from locals and a lady who had a sign up asking to call about her missing cat: black and white with a patch of orange on the face and other odds and ends about her cats personality and whatnot.

I called her and I told her I saw a black and white cat (was dark so I couldn't see that well) turns out though that that was not her cat. She also explained that there are people who have been seeing these cats as well. Also, her cat she says 'doesn't know how to be a cat' (can't fight and whatnot), I was a little concerned because there are marshes/swamps/wetlands here with Alligators (there are alligators in the pond where I live) I guess the humane society can't get them all, since I keep seeing them. I may start calling if I see another one.

There is another one at a Buddhist temple here; has no collar, and always comes around when there is a food festival. Poor thing looks fairly mal-nourished/dirty but people feed her/him whenever he/she comes around. I do not, out of respect for the Monks (as they may take care of both the Mother and the kitten, the best they can) take the animal anywhere. I may ask but I also don't want to take it anywhere if the 'Mother' is around and it is still 'weaning' or such.
    Last edited by Monkabit; February 6th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Status update... pic of one of the kitties after the surgery... don't look if you are squeamish.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Nakhon, yea, there's a good number of feral cats out there. The most vulnerable ones are abandoned and lost pets. See, contrary to popular belief, kitties who have been pets their whole lives don't do well when abandoned or lost. They never had a chance to learn the street survival skills.

Also, freal (or mostly outdoor) cat usually has a very rough life. Average life span of a feral cat is 2-3 years. Average life span of an indoor pet cat is about 15, up to 20 years.

Lot of the hoarding situations start with people not spaying or neutering their pet cat, then having a litter, then not spaying or neutering the kittens, and they all start inbreding.
    Year 1 Momcat with 5 babies. let's say three are female...
    Year 2 Momcat and three daughters have kittens = 20 kittens, 4 adult females, 2 adult males. This is where it gets too expensive to keep them healthy and vetted (vet care)
    Year 3 .... 15*5=75 cats... all inbred.

Lot of calamities and suffering happens because of irresponsible poet ownership.

well.. I'm not to proud to BEG for help on this [pet abuse]

Thanks
    Oh man that's so sad. Best of luck to find homes for the poor things, If I lived near you I would have adopted one. We already have three spoilt kitties though. It's so sad that someone could have a heart to do that, again, best of luck finding homes.

Thanks
    That's a total bummer...

but I'm on a mission to help all the suffering humans first. Then I'll turn my attention to cats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast