C.O.W. #246. the 8 eyed inventors . VOTING!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite 8-eyed inventor:

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • JaapOomen

22 28.57%
  • Bertling

0 0%
  • artist in side

0 0%
  • Duman

0 0%
  • apielotje

0 0%
  • Supervlieg

32 41.56%
  • hodoca

7 9.09%
  • scorge

16 20.78%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Round #246: VOTING!

Topic: The 8 Eyed Inventors

Deadline for voting: February 9th.

Requirements this week...

- The creature must be physically weak looking.

- The creature must have the ability to manipulate objects. Meaning... hands, intricate claws, tentacles, anything that could be used to handle intricate inventing work.

- The creature must have 8 eyes.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; February 3rd, 2012 at 01:09 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JaapOomen

Concept: No.246

These super intelligent creatures are nicknamed; No.246 because scientists estimated their IQ to be as high as 246.

Their senses have become really powerful through evolution. They can see anything from four angles at the same time using their eight eyes. While they use their big ears and whiskers to hear and sense any danger around them.

Sitting on their big tails they can manipulate any object with their hands while holding it tightly with their feet. they walk on two legs but run on all four.
    Having four hands and being very light weight they can also climb any object, such as trees and plants, but also any invention they're working on like rockets and spaceships to fly to distant planets.
    Their physical strength is weak, but they're very quick and agile making them hard to catch.

They have been peacefully developing their tech for years, until mankind accidentally caught one in a pouching trap. Now that humans know of their existence they’ve been trying to enslave them all for their own good.

Last edited by JaapOomen; February 2nd, 2012 at 05:27 AM.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JaapOomen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Bertling

Concept: Kavarog

The Kavarog was originally an amphibious creature of Amazonia. In addition to the 2 eyes on the head, the Kavarogs have 6 additional eye spots on stalks located on the tip of their tails. These eye spots are fairly primitive organs and they are primarily used to detect motion.

Interestingly, there are special organs containing superconducting coils buried within the palms of the creature. This allows the Kavarog to levitate metals via the Meissner effect. It is not clear what evolutionary advantages this offered. However, after domestication, this ability, coupled with the creature's highly developed frontal cortex, allowed it to become incredible inventors.

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Bertling

Concept: Kavarog

The Kavarog was originally an amphibious creature of Amazonia. In addition to the 2 eyes on the head, the Kavarogs have 6 additional eye spots on stalks located on the tip of their tails. These eye spots are fairly primitive organs and they are primarily used to detect motion.

Interestingly, there are special organs containing superconducting coils buried within the palms of the creature. This allows the Kavarog to levitate metals via the Meissner effect. It is not clear what evolutionary advantages this offered. However, after domestication, this ability, coupled with the creature's highly developed neocortex, allowed it to become incredible inventors.

Last edited by Bertling; February 2nd, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
    I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bertling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: artist in side

Concept: Grumagon

The Grumagon race lives in the forest since a time before the time, grumagons are perfectly disguised in the forest , the green tone of your skin makes an almost invisible in terms of camouflage. That race are extremely advanced in terms of technology, the brain of grumagon's are divided into 3 parts and are 3x more faster and accurate then the human brain, but that race are extremely peace full and banish the use of weapons and all types of violence and that are the way as the humans take advantage on grumagon's .when the humans come with your gun 's grumagon's have no chance of fighting. That race is capable of create any types of gadgets and machines, but nothing can overcome the destructiveness of human beings.

Last edited by artist in side; February 2nd, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Tumblr

Over the fear...Courage

9. The Following User Says Thank You to artist in side For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Duman

Concept: The Luminous Cnidaria
    Before the enslavement of the species by invasive explorers, The Luminous Cnidaria lived peacefully near the banks of the great Amazon River. Unique to the jellyfish family, this particular group possesses both eyes and the ability to move on land. This creature, living is such a hostile environment, adapted and incredible intelligence to compensate for its very flimsy body structure. For reasons currently under study, the Luminous Cnidaria has an innate understanding of even the most complex technological systems.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Apielotje

Concept: Aranea cerebrum

Aranea Cerebrum literally means 'brain spider'. Hangs on 4 of it's 'soft' legs, thus moves very slowly. Younger specimens are more mobile and usually help collect materials with which the 'eight eyes inventor' invents technological wonders. Seamlessly emotionless Aranea Cerebrum has a collective consciousness which enables it to achieve great teamwork with younger en older specimen.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to apielotje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aranea cerebrum

Artist: Apielotje

Concept: Aranea cerebrum

Aranea Cerebrum literally means 'brain spider'. Hangs on 4 of it's 'soft' legs, thus moves very slowly. Younger specimens are more mobile and usually help collect materials with which the 'eight eyes inventor' invents technological wonders. Seamlessly emotionless Aranea Cerebrum has a collective consciousness which enables it to achieve great teamwork with younger en older specimen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Supervlieg

Concept: Brainslug

Where exactly the first brainslug was first captured remains unknown. What is known is that they posses a superior intellect due to their enormous brain, roughly 200 times the size of the average human brain. It is believed the brainslugs resided in the depths of the ocean, although their ability to breath in and out of water baffles the scientists. On land the slugs have a hard time supporting its own weight. During its captivity it has come up with many inventions that have outdone the greatest human scientists. Most notable inventions in their name are the dog-goggles, the butter stick and plastic wrapped couches. They're currently working on even greater innovations to enrich human lives.

Last edited by Supervlieg; February 2nd, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Supervlieg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

whew!

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hodoca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: scorge

Concept: Invenerian
    Captives for a century, their dilapidated wings and eight glossy eyes tell the tale of a weary and abused species whose intellect and potential for bettering the planet has been sheltered and locked away by the most dominant of species.
    Invenerians upon their discovery in 1919 were a proud and beautiful species, but their highly advanced genius when determining the best structure for inventions and their vulnerability to the weapons of man quickly doomed them to be the beasts of burden "assisting" us in furthering our own selfish and ever impoverished need for something better.
    The typical Invenerian's physiology is quite unique on this planet, and since its discovery scientists have been fascinated by not only the brain of this creature, but it's eight eyes, each set having a different function and separate purpose. Central, and mostly obvious in the arrangement, are the steel blue irises of a madly thinking being. These are the beasts primary eyes and are used for everyday tasks. Below and centered between these, the much smaller and highly adapted magnifying lenses. Used for magnifying objects and vision by as much as 800 times, upon the death of Invenerians, doctors and scientists alike pay upwards of 2-3 million dollars for each lens, which are then sold to wealthy clients for twice as much. At the topmost portion of the head, the most specialized set of eyes (4) seen in the natural world. Each eye, has the ability to focus in on the different spectrums of light,from ultraviolet, to infrared, while the set combined as used as whole, is believed to allow this great creature to see dark matter itself.
    The large sensory organs under the eyes, seen here as orange(although they change from specimen to specimen), are super sensory olfactories, used in picking up the slightest scent of harmonics in metals, and earthen materials. The Invenarians use these super senses, along with their four arms, to create some of the most innovative inventions the world has seen today, and will continue to do so for as long as we can keep them captive. Eventually though, I'm sure they'll invent something that will wipe us out in a heartbeat, and take over the world and others. But that's just my opinion.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is up! No cuts this week.

I'm a big fan of the pieces by our seasoned veterans Supervlieg and scorge, I'll have to deliberate a while before I come to a decision on this one.
    Edit: I ended up voting for scorge. While I loved both entries, the embedded narrative in scorge's piece really did it for me.

Last edited by Si_Swe; February 3rd, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jaapOomen: Awesome, so cool, its weak its intelligent its slavish awesome interpretation

Bertling: Nice Old school Einstein type yipe, I would suggest you look more into how muscles connect, when ant leg arm is squeezed which muscle gets pumped and why which is relaxed which is tensed. Hope you see more from you in the future with more muscle knowledge!

artist in side: You know, reading its form is hard, as a silhouette is just OK,I would suggest you look more into how muscles connect, when ant leg arm is squeezed which muscle gets pumped and why which is relaxed which is tensed. Hope you see more from you in the future with more muscle knowledge!

Duman: Jelly in the belly

Apielotje: I don't thinks its a weak creature, it can easy take on or kill humans

Supervlieg: lovely title n interpretation,

hodoca: this guy is such a poser

scorge: like the tension in the scene, the victim n slavish awesome design too

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sony, can you elaborate why you think my creature does not look weak?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great round!

JaapOomen: That got my vote it just made my laugh! Loads of character to boot. Eye boobs! WTF?

Supervlieg: Epic! I could really see that in a movie

hodoca: Nice design! I think you could push the contrast a bit more and maybe add a powerful light source to give you some spec

scorge: Another great design. Though for me that lamplight really lets it down and his right ear thingy looks like it's turned to far toward us

apielotje: Pretty cool, I think it just need developing, looks unfinished

Duman: Interesting. Though I think you've invested too much time on the background and not enough really working on the creature. The composition is a bit flat

artist in side: I think you just need to start really pushing your designs and composition. Just start with really dandom skribbles to get some crazy silhouettes

Bertling: Kinda the same as for artist in side. Feels a bit flat, think you just need to let go a bit and use some light sources

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round. Voted scorge, the story tied in nicely with the image. I like how each eye is explained with a function. The lamp is a bit distracting though.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Supervlieg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sony: Ha! Too right. I shoulda loosened up that stance - thanks for the feedback!

GEB: Good call on the lighting issue; thanks!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to hodoca For This Useful Post:

GEB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JaapOomen- Great creature. My comments in the wip section would still stand.

Bertling- A pretty cool creature design. I'm not a big fan of the background however, and find it a bit distracting.

artist in side- This creature doesn't seem all that feeble or weak. I'm also not a huge fan of the chest area as it makes me think its wearing some kind of clothing or something.

apielotje- a cool creature, love the upside down part. I wish the legs were a little more define because they look like industrial tubing instead of limbs right now. The background could also be a little tighter.

Supervlieg- A great creature. I not a huge fan of how gritty the image gets, especially near its rear. I might consider toning it down and adding a bit more rendering to compensate.

hodoca- A cool creature design and well rendered. However, I feel like the arms are too small or oddly placed to be of any real use. And an inventor needs useful arms.

scorge- I don't know how he does it, but he always does. Got my vote.

Great job everyone!

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Curse that blasted lamp! Knew it was a gamble. Couldn't help but ask myself afterward, "Why the hell would a creature with super-vision need an ordinary desk lamp". Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks for the awesome feedback this round guys, although it would have been nice for someone to mention the goddamn lamp a little earlier.
    SuperV got mine this time. Miss that style of yours man, wish we could see it around a little more often. Design is a bit bland, but the story's great and the overall presentation and feeling of the scene really draws me into believing. In other words, kicks ass as usual.
    Close second for JaapOomen for a beautiful render, but somehow the hyperactive and boisterous nature of that little beasty tells me that it might just be able to survive on its own. PS: I second the love for eye boobs.
    Nicely done all!

Check it out

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GEB...ok I'll try, I am relatively new in this area of illustration, concepts and etc ... this community and saw a great opportunity to learn due to the fact that people actually express their views and help each other improve. thanks!

Duman...well actually she's wearing some kind of vest but I believe it caught in a poorly defined concept.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions.

and my congratulations to scorge, supervlieg and JaapOomen his works were very nice.

Tumblr

Over the fear...Courage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 661 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Was in the same boat as Si_Swe in terms of voting, eventually went with scorge for originality, JaapOomen is a close third placer after supervlieg...awesome work guys...
    some quick comments

JaapOomen: Very cool concept, however for this topic I don't see it being so innovative in inventing things, about as much as a bush baby would be, great work though one of my favs as I've already stated!

Bertling: Interesting take, looks very much like a mad scientist alien, interesting transluscency on it's torso as well. The background could use some textures, lighting, depth, and those pieces of equipment seem to be rendered at a different style than your creature, and try to avoid using pure black for shadows, there's still gonna be some light bounce going on.

artist in side: I have to say it doesn't look finished, and it is in need of some work with the values, and lighting. As GEB stated don't be afraid to experiment with silhouettes and scribbles, one of the best ways to produce designs is actually creating abstract shapes and looking for elements that create a certain form, you can create a lot of things that you wouldn't normally think off with your imagination.

Duman: Nice little scene. I think some references of jellyfish would've helped, especially the Man-o-war with it's ballon-like appearance.

Apielotje: This also doesn't look finished, very dim colours and waaaayyyy to much white. The design is pretty cool, although those legs need a bit more work to make them appear more organic, cuz they look very robotic.

Supervlieg: Loved seeing your other cow work and was wondering when your gonna be contributing again. I love the sketchy look and almost traditional textures applied. My biggest issue was with the eyes, six of them are grouped together nicely while there are two that are placed lower almost as if you placed them there because his arm was in the way, but your more experience in this field than me so I'm sure there was some intention there. I really like the look of the brain showing through, gives a really creepy, alien vibe. Nice work overall!

Hodoca: Very interesting design, There is some stiffness in it's pose and I think the background could some sort of variation in value so the image doesn't look so bare.

scorge: Excellent work! Love the story behind this one and how each eye has it own purpose, as others have pointed out the lighting coming from the lamp is a little distracting and unneccesary, perhaps it could've worked if the ray of light didn't brighten the background behind it as much as the table. the orange sensory organ seem to steal some attention away from the eyes a bit, at first they looked like eyes as well. Overall a great image, you got my vote this round!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank's Rob!

Tumblr

Over the fear...Courage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Scorge, I should have elaborated a bit more. The lamp in itself is quite fitting for the scene. I think it really helps setting the mood. The beam looks a bit weird, making it distracting. The beam has a hard edge making it look like a veil at the edges. Try adding some falloff to make the edges less hard.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Supervlieg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, awesome stuff this round and thanks for all comments and votes.

I didn't interpret "physically weak looking" as being unable to survive on it's own, like you said Scorge, but more like; being unable to win or even survive a war against humans.
    Rob Powell As far as inventing goes these creatures would be really good at engeneering, making gadgets, vehicles and spaceships.
    But like a real world mechanic who knows the best sportscar in and out(mechanically), is probably still not the best driver. These creatures would have no military tactiscs. When a human army attacks them they would run around in chaos, grabbing one of their, way to big, bazooka's, probably trip and accidentally shoot their own spaceship to bits. Geeky and chaotic but very skilled engineers.

My fav this round is Scorge. Beautiful rendering. I especialy like the red light, your creatures sad expression on his face and the shadow of the man on the ground. One thing is, at first I thought he was wearing a pink cape or some kind of pink scientist coat, untill I read they were wings. Great anatomy too.

SuperVlieg You made a very cool creature, but I don't realy think it looks that weak. Like, it could easily kill both scientists with one swipe of that big leg behind it's head. Also because his brain is so big and the shape of it's body, I'd almost assume it'd be able to float around using some kind of telekinetic power. And then you would have like 50 of them flying over New York city, shooting beams out of their eyes and throwing cars with pure brain power. In a movie like GEB said).

43. The Following User Says Thank You to JaapOomen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, awesome stuff this round and thanks for all comments and votes.

I didn't interpret "physically weak looking" as being unable to survive on it's own, like you said Scorge, but more like; being unable to win or even survive a war against humans.
    Rob Powell As far as inventing goes these creatures would be really good at engeneering, making gadgets, vehicles and spaceships.
    But like a real world mechanic who knows the best sportscar in and out(mechanically), is probably still not the best driver. These creatures would have no military tactiscs. When a human army attacks them they would run around in chaos, grabbing one of their, way to big, bazooka's, probably trip and accidentally shoot their own spaceship to bits. Geeky and chaotic but very skilled engineers.

My fav this round is Scorge. Beautiful rendering. I especialy like the red light, your creatures sad expression on his face and the shadow of the man on the ground. One thing is, at first I thought he was wearing a pink cape or some kind of pink scientist coat, untill I read they were wings. Great anatomy too.

SuperVlieg You made a very cool creature, but I don't realy think it looks that weak. Like, it could kill both scientists with one swipe of that big leg behind it's head. Also because his brain is so big and the shape of it's body, I'd almost assume it'd be able to float around using some kind of telekinetic power. And then you would have like 50 of them flying over New York city, shooting beams out of their eyes and throwing cars with pure brain power. In a movie like GEB said).

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaapOomen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JaapOomen: Interesting creature, it sort of reminds me of the Mowgli (or however they're spelled) from the movie Gremlins. It was a bit cartoony looking for me, but that's a mere matter of preference I guess.

Bertling: I like the alien look which is especially enhanced by having the branching eyes on the tail. Good advice on rendering light and shadow has already been mentioned in this thread.

artist in side: The surfaces are very smooth and the shapes are geometric, making it look like a robot more than a creature to me.

Duman: If some of the colors of the creature were reflected from the equipment, it would make it look more luminous. Think of light as affecting everything in its line of sight.

Apielotje: I like the hanging arthropod concept. The colors are washed out and the light overblown; more contrast and development would have made this much more effective. Try working on a darker background from the start next time; that way you can work lighter or darker as needed. Not a bad entry though.

Supervlieg: A great entry, worthy of winning. The only thing that kept me from voting for it was that Scorge's had more character, and the green leweled eyes on your creature don't quite seem to fit the character of the rest of your illustration to me. If the eyes had been less perfectly consistent and symmetrical it might be better. Good job at any rate!

hodoca: A first rate creature and skillfully rendered, but the values are a bit flat so it isn't as dramatic as it could be. If would be more eye-catching for sure with some sharper highlights and darker areas.

scorge: Yours got my vote for the interesting expressive features and overall feel of the piece. However, the light coming from the lamp is just, well, wrong. Light doesn't illuminate everything behind the beam, but only those things caught in its path- for instance, some of the arm and most of the wall behind the beam of light would not be lit directly. I hope you don't mind this quick little paintover to illustrate what I am talking about:
    Name:  Inventor Final.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  116.8 KB

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eclectix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Eclectix: Beautiful! Thanks, really learned something with this one.

Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Supervlieg : congrats

Quote Originally Posted by apielotje View Post
    Thanks Sony, can you elaborate why you think my creature does not look weak?

Most spiders are brutal and looking at the scale it just looks fast in movement
    and its hard for humans to trap and retain it in their possession, they can cut humans
    easily even with delicate touch, on the other hand look at the sluggishness of supervlieg entry, it feels trapped or it
    doesn't look fast; the humans can easily climb over the head and strap it, just some points.

Cheers

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oops

@Tommy5543: Oops, type-O! Glad Sony understood my question

Members who have read this thread: 1