Thanks

advice about New York

Hey everyone,

Well me and the girl are taking off to NY for a few days and I was hoping we could get some advice for those seasoned tourists and residents.

We are both students and don't have a ton of cash but at the same time we don't want to stay at a hostel either. If anyone has any advice as to where to stay (some where around W 89th street as to that location is why we are going to NY)

Maybe some restaurants or just little places we should really try to check out.

Thanks everyone!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    metropolitan museum of art!! museum of natural history!! gallerries in Chelsea, soho, east village

check out union square, times square, Rockefeller center, St john teh divine (biggest gothic cathedral in America), st. patricks catherdral

south st. seaport, and east village for nightlife

you cant be bored in this city....ever.

ty

Thanks
    If you wanna slum it with the Brooklynites, I hear the Greenpoint YMCA actually has very nice, cheap rooms.... like $60 a night, and Greenpoint is a nice hood, right next to Williamsburg.... tho it takes about 20 minutes to get into Manhattan just because the G train can sometimes be a little slow.

Thanks
    Oh and heres a tip for those not in the know, the MET has a suggested donation entrance fee of like... $9? But the thing is it's a suggested donation, I recommend plunking down $2 and saying "two tickets please" (This works for a number of museums, as long as it says "suggested donation"...) There's also a rooftop garden/cafe at the MET that not many people know about, just find one of the elevators or ask a security guard how to get there, it's worth it to see the vast expanse of Central park and the city beyond.... one of the best and little known vistas in the city! It's free, and you're likely to be the only people up there too!

Thousands of restaurants here to choose from. A nice place is Cafe Reggio on MacDougal St., between 3rd and Bleeker. It's a nice cozy/casual place that's been there forever... serve GOOD and CHEAP italian fare, and great desserts/coffee. A nice place to wind down after a day of sightseeing or whatever.

Staten Island ferry used to be a nice ride, it's free and a good diversion from walking around the city. Terminal area is in a bit of shambles from construction at the moment though.

Unfortunatley I don't know of cheap places to stay in this city...

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    wow chingwa--i didnt know about teh met rooftop thing. cool! im gonna have to check that out

cafe reggio is pretty good though--i used to live a about 4 blocks from there --so many places to eat in this city--its funny you mention that place