Brushes - How to create the infamous Hard/Soft brush? - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brushes - How to create the infamous Hard/Soft brush?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno if I'm too upset by that, it's a LOT better than months with no patches or the patch was a "version update" that broke features that worked in older versions

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ it's certainly better, but I don't really know what went wrong with 12.
    first invert bleed bug, next - broken feature adjustment,
    all affecting pretty old and basic painter's functionality
    they seem to add more bugs than features accidentally.
    (I can understand why complicated on calculations real wet media is causing crashes and hang-ups, but with bugs above I don't know really)

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    broken feature adjustment
    Is this really broken? I don't remember reading about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ according to the link I posted (end of 1st page itt), the recalled patch was messing with it.

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, but if you read further replies it may be that the person who reported that may be misremembering and gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick, i.e. Feature is not available for all brushes. But, admittedly, it's not clear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it also might be his workspace conflict after updating the program, but patch installer is still gone atm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The update was re-released yesterday http://painterfactory.com/forums/p/4...467.aspx#20467

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw it mentioned here about supposed backups that are made during a crash. I have painter 11 and when it crashes it saves to a "recovered" folder in my documents. I can't always open these up in painter, but I have found that I can open them in most other art programs and then resave them as psd. Then they'll open in painter again. Its a bit of a pain cause you have to convert them back to riffs (for stability/speed), but its better than losing a cool idea that you didn't have a chance to save.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    I saw it mentioned here about supposed backups that are made during a crash. I have painter 11 and when it crashes it saves to a "recovered" folder in my documents. I can't always open these up in painter, but I have found that I can open them in most other art programs and then resave them as psd. Then they'll open in painter again. Its a bit of a pain cause you have to convert them back to riffs (for stability/speed), but its better than losing a cool idea that you didn't have a chance to save.
    What other art programs??? Aren't the recoverable files saved as Riff - what other program can open it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes they're saved as Riff. Gimp or Artweaver are the two I always use. They're both free, but I prefer Artweaver because its a little more like a lite Photoshop/Painter hybrid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always worked in psd format in Painter 11. If there was a crash the file was saved as a riff and usually could not be opened. Simply changing the file extension from .riff to .psd allowed me to open it up immediately in Painter. No need for another program.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joeparis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to work in psd mode, but I read in a painter tutorial on the corel site that the riff format works much smoother. I personally noticed a big difference. Now I can work with a lot larger canvases and almost no lag (I've tried as high as 10,000px x 10,000px @300ppi).

Now it only crashes when I accidently change my brush varient with the pen... I Hate that, might have to change my button configurations. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by Shorinji_Knight; March 14th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to work in psd mode, but I read in a painter tutorial on the corel site that the riff format works much smoother. I personally noticed a big difference. Now I can work with a lot larger canvases and almost no lag (I've tried as high as 10,000px x 10,000px @300ppi).
    You must be extremely lucky in that case.
    I sometimes go as big as 12 k pixels wide on 16:9 documents, and in every case, RIFF files were slower to work with in any version of painter I've used (that would be 6, IX, X, 11 and 12, both win and mac for IX - 12;
    I still use 6 and IX, and only use RIFF to save wet watercolour image data;
    once I don't need it, I immediately save as psd.)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You must be extremely lucky in that case.
    I sometimes go as big as 12 k pixels wide on 16:9 documents, and in every case, RIFF files were slower to work with in any version of painter I've used (that would be 6, IX, X, 11 and 12, both win and mac for IX - 12;
    I still use 6 and IX, and only use RIFF to save wet watercolour image data;
    once I don't need it, I immediately save as psd.)
    That's interesting... I wonder if that could be because we're using different brushes? Maybe some formats work better with certain brushes. Don't know, riff just works better for me, but then I never use wet layers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's interesting... I wonder if that could be because we're using different brushes? Maybe some formats work better with certain brushes. Don't know, riff just works better for me, but then I never use wet layers.
    I only use wet layers through let's call it an underpainting stage of work; rest of my work is done with palette knives, artists oils, camelhairs and sometimes oil pastel-type of brushes, all pretty basic - no impasto, no liquid ink layers, digital watercolour dried up. RIFF always takes longer to open and compress, and general performance is noticeably lower.
    One thing with painter I've noticed through past few years (on 3 or 4 various PC/laptop builds, windows xp, vista and a bit of win7) is that painter can be incredibly hardware dependent. It doesn't have any official hware recommendations, however, on some systems it will crash constantly and overall be a terrible laggy program; on others it works dramatically better (my best experience with painter X for example was on a toshiba cosmio (qosmio?) laptop with windows xp sp2 and only 2 GB of ram.
    Your system may be one of those lucky ones :)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your system may be one of those lucky ones
    You're probably right... I hope my luck holds out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I still work in ix.5 on a single core mac and never crash, and experience none of these mishaps you guys are speaking of. Thank you because I was thinking of upgrading and really stumbled on this thread by accident! FYI, in that vid I think that cat is using Rob's basic brush. With that said I think he has it tweaked a bit but with a bit of trial and error it should be easy to replicate-besides I agree with one of the previous posts that you can't just use someone's brush like they do you have to tweak them all to fit your stroke and style-over the years I've tried and have never found a brush that I didn't have to modify in some way. If you check out Jared Hodges book digital manga workshop he describes multiple ways to color manga style work like that in both painter and PS. I use both but painter like 80% of the time. I really only use PS to photo bash anymore. Best of Luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know there is a 30 day fully functioning trial you can use and see for yourself. Unless we are saying the product is going to cause your computer to stop functioning, it doesn't hurt to try it yourself. That way you actually have first hand knowledge of its usefulness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 7