Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brushes - How to create the infamous Hard/Soft brush?

Thanks

Brushes - How to create the infamous Hard/Soft brush?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create this specific brush, hopefully someone could help me out. I want a brush that will paint hard edges with pressure, then soft edges with less pressure. Or vice-versa.

I've actually seen artists paint with brushes which seem to behave the way I've described above, but unfortunately they're unwilling to share or even tell anyone the "formula" as to how they created such brush.

I've explored every single tab in the bushes menu (general, size, angle, spacing, etc...), tried all sorts of combinations by mixing brush types in the brush creator, but with no success.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    can you post examples, done with this kind of brush?
    edge hardness is not something you can map to pen pressure (or velocity, or direction, whatever) in painter;
    you can link opacity and resaturation, so brush does produce a softer look with lighter pen pressure applied.

Thanks
    Hi,

The brush doesn't exist. The picture you saw was all composed in Photoshop with blur filters. As of yet, I still don't know what brush can do this. If you mean you want to see the actual brush in action, I'd be glad to indicate you to some videos in Youtube.

(Moderators, is it ok to post Youtube links here?).

Dozens of people have asked (including moi), but the artist has expressively said that he WILL NOT share his brushes, nor tell how he created it. I don't see the big deal, and I may be wrong about this "infamous brush", but I respect that. Still, nothing prohibits us from trying to create one for ourselves, right?

Yes, I'm well aware of the features you explained. But none of that seems to get the job done. Brush Tracking, etc.

In this new sketch again, the top part is another "brush stroke" done in Photoshop to simulate what I need. And the bottom was done with an actual brush in Painter. As you can see, you can either have a soft brush or a hard brush, but you can't have both at the same time. Its an alchemy to be wanting to mix two different elements into a pot!

Bottom line, I'm not sure how the Painter brush mechanics work, but if I could merge these two features (soft/hard) into one single brush, it would be great. I think such brush would be great for painting and blending at the same time, to be able to make sharp and/or soft edges on the spot without having to switch between two different brushes or going for the blenders.

Thanks
    it's ok to post youtube links/embeds here

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    On the very bottom of the page you'll see "Posting Rules" Click on "BB Code" is on and you'll get a list of how to create code to post Youtube Links and other video.
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 26th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Alright, in that case here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSHuTpZkv1Q

If you observe closely (and not count the blender and airbrush), you'll see how one of his brushes seems to do that "soft/hard" thing simultaneously, as I don't see him doing any tool swapping on the brush selector.

I don't believe just mere pressure and opacity settings could produce such "air-brushy" blends like that without leaving any streaks...

Thanks
    It's hard to see but it looks to me like he has played around with the Bleed and Saturation settings. The Bleed is probably quite high and set to Pressure, possibly inverted on a flat circular dab. My guess anyway.

Thanks
    Yes, you may be right. I've been fiddling around with some brushes and it's almost there (as far as the softness and smooth blending goes). My guess is that he's probably using some sort of oil pastel or tint variant...

I found this effect is actually possible to create in Photoshop. It's not perfect but it can be done with just 2 simple steps.

1- Choose a soft round brush to start off
    2- In the brush settings palette, under Dual Brush, choose a hard round brush

Now with these two combined, when you paint with high pressure it does hard edged strokes, and turns soft edged with less pressure. But its not perfect cause what Photoshop lacks is the ability to blend pixels intuitively like Painter.

So I wonder if Painter has such "dual brush" function too... And I don't mean the ctrl+B Transposer tool.

Thanks
    painter's doesn't have double brush options available;
    one thing I've noticed in that video is that he has spacing panel undocked and brought on screen at some point;
    if you play with spacing values, you'll notice that higher spacing values lead to a smoother stroke; lower spacing creates a more hard, solid stroke;
    other than that, it's just clever use of bleed and resaturation values.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Royzen View Post
    Yes, you may be right. I've been fiddling around with some brushes and it's almost there (as far as the softness and smooth blending goes). My guess is that he's probably using some sort of oil pastel or tint variant...

I found this effect is actually possible to create in Photoshop. It's not perfect but it can be done with just 2 simple steps.

1- Choose a soft round brush to start off
    2- In the brush settings palette, under Dual Brush, choose a hard round brush

Now with these two combined, when you paint with high pressure it does hard edged strokes, and turns soft edged with less pressure. But its not perfect cause what Photoshop lacks is the ability to blend pixels intuitively like Painter.

So I wonder if Painter has such "dual brush" function too... And I don't mean the ctrl+B Transposer tool.
    That tutorial you linked to is old lol.

You know he did another one for Corel Painter magazine - though he got the difference between anime and manga...well really wrong.

You can download the PDF from his blog http://reiq.co.uk/Blog/archives/474

It's just mostly variants of the Oils category. He changed the Smeary Camel to Round dab type, then chose the profile of the brush to Watercolor. He said he changed the expression from Pressure to none.

He also mentions Just Add water and the Digital Airbrush... (sorry forgot to add that before I went to make dinner).

Course you can read the PDF
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 27th, 2012 at 01:15 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    You know he did another one for Corel Painter magazine - though he got the difference between anime and manga...well really wrong.
    doesn't really matter, he could just have called it a "how to make a terrible Elsevilla copy" and be done with it, cough-cough

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    doesn't really matter, he could just have called it a "how to make a terrible Elsevilla copy" and be done with it, cough-cough
    I remember Reiq doing color stuff quite a long time before I remember Elsevilla getting into doing color stuff. I don't see how his stuff looks like Elsevilla's at all.

I'm saying though, he got the difference between anime and manga wrong because he said "anime = color" "manga = black and white" and umm...well no that's not really the difference. Especially since anime is just short for "animation" and manga just means comics.

Thanks
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the observations. Appreciate the suggestions and the links too.

This Reiq guy is actually a great artist, I like his painting techniques. But unfortunately (in my opinion) he wastes too much of his talents on perverted artwork. Atleast I don't know any of his other works, if not all the hentai stuff. Not that I'm against that or anything (me like), but sometimes enough is enough, eheh.

Either ways, I guess it's useless hunting for this "phantom brush" that probably doesn't exist (or can't exist due to Painter's mechanics). But I think I have enough info to go about customizing my own. So far in this thread we've covered bleed, resaturation, dab type, expression and spacing. So I'll go ahead and do some fiddling.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast