Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 48
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Royzen View Post
    Hey guys,

    Thanks for the observations. Appreciate the suggestions and the links too.

    This Reiq guy is actually a great artist, I like his painting techniques. But unfortunately (in my opinion) he wastes too much of his talents on perverted artwork. Atleast I don't know any of his other works, if not all the hentai stuff. Not that I'm against that or anything (me like), but sometimes enough is enough, eheh.

    Either ways, I guess it's useless hunting for this "phantom brush" that probably doesn't exist (or can't exist due to Painter's mechanics). But I think I have enough info to go about customizing my own. So far in this thread we've covered bleed, resaturation, dab type, expression and spacing. So I'll go ahead and do some fiddling.
    From what I recall Reiq is actually taking courses in the Concept Design Academy. I linked you to his blog so check it out instead of worrying about the hentai stuff

    I'm not some fangirl of his, I'm actually rather indifferent, but I remember seeing his tutorial in Painter Magazine and he reposted it in his blog. That's where I noticed his other works.

    One of the things notice is that people tend to work with a brush that has high bleed but the invert pressure is on. That way when they make light strokes, the brush blends more and softens, while harder pressure makes a more solid brush.

    This technique was talked about http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12

    One thing I wanted to mention is that you may be thinking the brush isn't changing but it can be. The category he had were custom so the icons may not have changed but the brushes in the category may have.

    On another note speaking of brush tweaking, there was this interesting blog on Opacity in Painter 12 - http://painterfactory.com/blogs/chri...s-opacity.aspx

    Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 27th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the links, very informative indeed. I think I've finally managed to get my brush the way I wanted, though not 100% as Reiq's, but I'm quite satisfied. And it does blend smoother with the bleed set to inverted pressure, as suggested.

    Oh, just for curiosity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDpjW2CukQ

    I also have Paint Tool SAI but never use it. People are actually able to do amazing artwork with it, but somehow it doesn't click to me. On the other hand, SAI does have an incredible watercolor brush that blends marvelously and does all that hard/soft mumbo-jumbo I've been talking about the whole time. SAI's engine also seems to be alot better. If Painter had a bit of SAI and Photoshop, it would be THE painting program, I think, eheh.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    616
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 162 Times in 127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Royzen View Post
    On the other hand, SAI does have an incredible watercolor brush that blends marvelously and does all that hard/soft mumbo-jumbo I've been talking about the whole time.
    The brush in the video reminded me of SAI's brushes too, they're excellent. But in reality you can achieve something similar in Painter with the right settings. SAI is a great program however.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Paisley, Scotland
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 57 Times in 37 Posts
    For the first half of the video it looks to me like he's using Rob's Basic brush. The quality is terrible, but I swear that's what it says in his brush selector.

    Rob's Basic is a great brush. It lays down colour opaquely at high pressure, and at lower pressures it softly blends. This can give the appearance that it's becoming soft-edged, but it's really just blending.

    http://www.ethereality.info/ethereal...es/goodies.htm

    In that second higher quality vid that Arshes linked he's using some of Don Seegmiller's brushes by the looks of the icons in his custom palette in the first bit of the video.

    I can understand people saying that people shouldn't fixate on a particular artist's brush or settings, but in this case the guy is being so obstructive that it's giving me some satisfaction doing a bit of detective work. Deliberately omitting the top of Painter's interface in a painting demonstration video just seems a bit odd.

    Last edited by JohnMalcolm1970; February 1st, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Hey John,

    You may want to look at the PDF file. As it appears this video was recorded after the publication of this document, which if you notice he has a different set of custom icons. You'll notice his palette changed after 5:45 so they were obvious recorded at different times, and after the 5:45 mark it's similar to the palette screen shots in his pdf tutorial.

    He basically said in the PDF what he's using and how to tweak the settings. It's not too obscure. He probably had the brushes (Don Seeg's on his palette in the second vid) to try them out - just as many people do but he may not have been necessarily using them. Sans the first video because you can see it in the icon. I was going along with the tutorial trying the methods (since I actually have the original files provided on the disc) and they don't seem like he's being that obscure.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It kinda smells fishy too...

    Really, I wouldn't blame anyone for suspecting him being obscure. I mean it's a fact that alot of people have questioned about his brushes, and he refused to tell. It's what alot have come to believe to be THE brush almighty. He knows this and seems to enjoy the torment its causing on people, eheh.

    Those things on the PDF, although useful, are just propaganda for the magazine. I don't believe he'd really reveal the settings of his "trademark" brushes that he uses "behind the scenes".

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Except I've run the settings and tried the brushes in his tutorial? The only thing is I do strokes differently than him. So people are getting it in their head it's some real trick brush. Even if you have the same settings, your methodology of strokes is not going to be the same as the next person.

    I now have the cover pencil as a secondary inking tool, and using just add water along with his brushes and several others are interesting. However, I also tweak them a bit so I'm more comfortable.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lisbon, I think...
    Posts
    912
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 153 Times in 107 Posts
    Painter doesn't have a dual brush mode so you can't really make a brush like that like you can in Photoshop, I actually often use a brush like that for soft cell-shading, when the brush is big it's soft, when the brush is small it's hard. Also if you play around with the dual brush settings and brush dabs you can make some really nifty watercolor brushes.

    PS: I can't believe there's only two recent threads, don't know if Painter finally "works" or if people just got tired of the bugs and moved over to Photoshop.

    Last edited by Portus; February 27th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    840
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked 182 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    PS: I can't believe there's only two recent threads, don't know if Painter finally "works" or if people just got tired of the bugs and moved over to Photoshop.
    I think it's the latter. I'm not trying to disparage the team behind painter because I believe they work hard within their means of resources, but painter hasn't really been fixing much of anything over the last 5 or 6 years. We get patches that may or may not work. Some bugs get fixed but the major ones get left alone. Layer handling/functions hasn't been improved no matter how loud people scream, and the speed hasn't imo improved, if anything it's gotten slower. There has been some great changes, (brush directory handling and creation, symmetry, some interface improvement), but the areas that people most care about such as improved layer function, (more inline with photoshop), more intuitive transform functions, simpler stamp brush creation, a way to make custom vector shapes that don't necessarily require importing or selections, a way to open up the supposed backup file made during a crash, oh and less crashes, less crashes, MY GOD less crashes, haven't even been dealt with.

    I been using mypaint (which has recently added symmetry drawing, ellipses, straight line function similar to painters "V" key function, blending layers and blending options for brushes including colorize, Sai (no description needed) and Photoshop. I think other folks are using Artrage and or a few of the ones I just mentioned. Painter needs to get things right or it won't be around much longer imo - although, I'm sure my opinion doesn't count for anything for some folks haha.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Norway, Bergen.
    Posts
    2,456
    Thanks
    3,869
    Thanked 361 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    I think it's the latter. I'm not trying to disparage the team behind painter because I believe they work hard within their means of resources, but painter hasn't really been fixing much of anything over the last 5 or 6 years. We get patches that may or may not work. Some bugs get fixed but the major ones get left alone. Layer handling/functions hasn't been improved no matter how loud people scream, and the speed hasn't imo improved, if anything it's gotten slower. There has been some great changes, (brush directory handling and creation, symmetry, some interface improvement), but the areas that people most care about such as improved layer function, (more inline with photoshop), more intuitive transform functions, simpler stamp brush creation, a way to make custom vector shapes that don't necessarily require importing or selections, a way to open up the supposed backup file made during a crash, oh and less crashes, less crashes, MY GOD less crashes, haven't even been dealt with.

    I been using mypaint (which has recently added symmetry drawing, ellipses, straight line function similar to painters "V" key function, blending layers and blending options for brushes including colorize, Sai (no description needed) and Photoshop. I think other folks are using Artrage and or a few of the ones I just mentioned. Painter needs to get things right or it won't be around much longer imo - although, I'm sure my opinion doesn't count for anything for some folks haha.
    Dude I havnt had a single crash in like... a year almost. Yes Painter has its little glitches, but there is a reason many still use it. I used to think like you, that Painter wouldnt stay for much longer, though I disagree now. You just need to learn to tame the beast

    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

    Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,047
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 195 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    I think it's the latter. I'm not trying to disparage the team behind painter because I believe they work hard within their means of resources, but painter hasn't really been fixing much of anything over the last 5 or 6 years. We get patches that may or may not work. Some bugs get fixed but the major ones get left alone.Layer handling/functions hasn't been improved no matter how loud people scream, and the speed hasn't imo improved, if anything it's gotten slower.
    while I agree with this, at least painter team has started listening to feedback, something that didn't happen since painter X or so;
    I really hope painter 13 is gonna be a speed/stability release with minimum real gugugaga BS dragged in to appeal to mass/new audience
    (that is actually not so happy with painter 12 - there has been a few pretty direct and cruel threads at painterfactory, mostly in regards of painter's poor stability and amount of bugs that went into release)
    Painter needs to get things right or it won't be around much longer imo - although, I'm sure my opinion doesn't count for anything for some folks haha.
    don't worry, as long as photo2painters are on board, painter will be profitable (they might kill the painting part completely and rerelease it as $ 199 corel photopainter in the future orz)
    jokes aside, painter is a # 1 painting app for me that suits my workflow perfectly; however, I'm still bouncing between painter 6 and 9,5 simply because recent versions haven't been drastically useful for me, and haven't delivered on stability and overal performance.
    maybe we'll see some steps in that direction, if not - I'll be fine with my tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive_minD View Post
    Dude I havnt had a single crash in like... a year almost. Yes Painter has its little glitches, but there is a reason many still use it. I used to think like you, that Painter wouldnt stay for much longer, though I disagree now. You just need to learn to tame the beast
    what OS are you working with? painter 12 for mac was crashing routinely at least once daily for me;
    it might be partially solved when painter goes 64 bit for mac and gets more ram access, but I've seen a noticeable number of complaints from other people too (most of those were real wet media related, though - something I don't even bother using)

    Last edited by ikken; February 28th, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
    on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    616
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 162 Times in 127 Posts
    Only two threads recently does seem odd. Maybe Painter Factory is doing a good job. There is plenty of activity from the Painter team there. Painter 11 and 12 were problem free and stable for me although I've had to pass on the recent 12.1 update as it wasn't.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I haven't had much problems with Painter 12 and I especially like the update. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

    I couldn't say that about 11 because it had that irritating stroke bug and actually froze and crashed several times, before that long overdue update.

    The best bug removed was the one with the brush creator because it caused so many bugs in past versions.

    I'm not saying it's bug free, but most of the crashes I got from previous versions is no longer there. That stupid screen refresh error is gone too. I also like reading some of the blogs from Painterfactory because it has some interesting insights on Painter. I noticed though members of the old Painter team of past versions have left (Steve?), but it seems newer devs are responsive?

    They need to fix the window focus bug. I'll try to Pan or scroll and often the document has lost focus.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook