How to get most out of vilppu lectures + Book
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How to get most out of vilppu lectures + Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to get most out of vilppu lectures + Book

Hi,

A friend of mine generously gave me a set of vilppu lectures.

Its a set of Anatomy and Figure drawing videos. Currently I am watching the anatomy lectures which are quite helpful.

How do you old artists advise as what should be my approach to the lectures ?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm gonna just throw this wild idea out, but if you got books, you read them and do the exercises. If you have videos you watch them and also do what he suggests.

The other idea is to just place them in a corner every night and just place your hand on them hoping to absorb the knowledge.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    The other idea is to just place them in a corner every night and just place your hand on them hoping to absorb the knowledge.
    Nope. Keep them under your pillow during sleep...

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    Nope. Keep them under your pillow during sleep...
    And then you see your future spouse in your dreams that night...

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaha

no Actually my question is whats better approach, Following what he does or watching the lecture and trying to draw from memory?

We can't say it as a book but more of a guideline, As there are no set formula in art so that's why I am asking as in what way I will learn the most?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make a bubble-gum sculpture of vilppu, put some candles around it, and pray to it every night before going to bed... that or you can actually open the book and get to work.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess I should get back to work instead of messing around on internet. Thanks.

On a side note I always try to stay away from this forum because of @TinyBird and @Arshes Nai specifically as they always humiliate me whenever they have a chance. I know I sometimes ask stupid questions but instead of guiding me to right direction I am always humiliated. Now I feel so ashamed of posting here.

Last edited by NajamQ; January 25th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NajamQ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont take it personal.. just look around the forum, this actually happens quiet often when there is a question like this.. and what can i say? its fun to see what people come up with in threads like this.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rem92 View Post
    Dont take it personal.. just look around the forum, this actually happens quiet often when there is a question like this.. and what can i say? its fun to see what people come up with in threads like this.
    My point is having (some) authority on a subject doesn't grant you permission to humiliate who wish to learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NajamQ View Post
    My point is having (some) authority on a subject doesn't grant you permission to humiliate who wish to learn.
    I'm stating the obvious, and added humor to it. If you feel humiliated it's more of a personal issue. I don't go out and try to "get users" - I don't even know you.

However, Books and videos are pretty obvious for what they do. If you don't understand what's being said - well then ask the question about the wording or concept being talked about in the book. But this hand wringing like there's a best method? What, you're trying to get this in one shot? Good luck with that - you're going to make a mistake when learning sooner or later because it's part of the process. Try the obvious solutions first, then if they don't seem to work come back and ask questions about more specifics.

I'm sorry if this humiliates you. But try and do, before worrying so much about the approach. It's like I get this visual someone is physically shaking with terror when they make the first stroke on a canvas/paper. Really, is it going to hurt so much if you fail quite a bit? Quite honestly ALL of us had to put up with it as artists.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 25th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On a side note I always try to stay away from this forum because of @TinyBird and @Arshes Nai specifically as they always humiliate me whenever they have a chance.
    Trust me, I won't come to humiliate you to your Sketchbook. Maybe you should update it

And I agree with Arshes, especially since most of your threads you create seem to spin around of "tell me how to do X" when the thing you need to do is practice. Any theory we can give only goes so far.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Guess I should get back to work instead of messing around on internet. Thanks.

On a side note I always try to stay away from this forum because of @TinyBird and @Arshes Nai specifically as they always humiliate me whenever they have a chance. I know I sometimes ask stupid questions but instead of guiding me to right direction I am always humiliated. Now I feel so ashamed of posting here.
    Haha Arshes Nai I must remember that one. Nai is a very rude word in afrikaans. Seriously though, you let this: humiliate and shame you? Wow!

TinyBird and Arshes Nei may seem like a couple of ball busters, but that's only because they are. But you can count yourself lucky that they offer their no frills and no BS advice on these forums.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Art is serious business, it's no place for the delicate.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Art is serious business, it's no place for the delicate.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
    Hmmm, so Ayn Rand ripped off Eleanor Roosevelt!!!

(Oh, teh irony!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Trust me, I won't come to humiliate you to your Sketchbook. Maybe you should update it

And I agree with Arshes, especially since most of your threads you create seem to spin around of "tell me how to do X" when the thing you need to do is practice. Any theory we can give only goes so far.
    Sorry to hit you directly, you have been quite helpful in the past. Although I am not arguing on the suggestions and guidence but I felt like if you ask your teacher a question, and he/she tell starts to joke on you before telling you the answer. Good for a source of laughter but bad for self respect.

Nai did the same, now next time if I post something everyone who saw my threads will think like "oh look! Idiot is back.''.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fer Gawd's sake just don't do the wrong thing! The Horror...THE HORROR!

Edit: Don't take it too personally Najam...we're all just having fun...just try to laugh along.\

Edit II: Personally, with the Vilpuu books and videos? You'd get the most out of them by passing them on to someone else also. D'oh! That's right...that's what I said. But since you have them, might as well watch 'em.

Last edited by JeffX99; January 26th, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nai did the same, now next time if I post something everyone who saw my threads will think like "oh look! Idiot is back.''.
    That may have more to do with the inability to look at the difference between and e and an a :/

Also again, no one is really out to get you, but the more you make a big deal of things, this "self fulfilling prophecy" kicks in.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 26th, 2012 at 08:48 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...but I felt like if you ask your teacher a question, and he/she tell starts to joke on you before telling you the answer. Good for a source of laughter but bad for self respect.

Mmmm... yea you wouldn't expect a teacher to do that... but internet strangers? you can expect all sorts of crap to come your way at any moment.

My SKETCHbook

25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I felt like if you ask your teacher a question, and he/she tell starts to joke on you before telling you the answer.
    That might be why teachers are actually paid to do this. Though if I had asked my teacher help without even trying out the problem/task myself, at least my math teacher would have made a comment about that... I mean you can't always rely on a teacher or other people to come out and tell you how to do something.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    That might be why teachers are actually paid to do this. Though if I had asked my teacher help without even trying out the problem/task myself, at least my math teacher would have made a comment about that... I mean you can't always rely on a teacher or other people to come out and tell you how to do something.
    I'll just say while there are a lot more bad students out there....to say a teacher wouldn't "ever" do that simply isn't true in regards to NajamQ's post. It also depends on where you go to school and what instructors you get. Amazingly teachers are people too.

I remember the horror stories where the school I went to for art previously had instructors (of course these instructors are no longer there but it has happened) where they'd tear down your piece during crits saying things how it was too horrible or they thought the piece being put up was a joke.

Remember being paid in certain institutions (and I'm definitely not saying all schools - but I went to a for profit) will have other motivations. After all if you know most of the students won't make it in an art school - you still want to keep them there as long as possible so ...you get paid and the school still makes money. I know teachers that would pass students instead of giving them the truth. I know I was part of that system and I wish some of the teachers were little more truthful and telling you how hard this is vs coddling.

That being said, even in art schools and especially the good ones at least look at your portfolio first, and see if you are actually interested and the ones that think art is some easy ride. A good instructor will also remind you to get good, it's going to take a "lot of you" to get there and make this a career. Meaning, a lot of this is your willpower and lot of self study because a teacher can help and help quite a bit, but can't be there for you 24/7.

Now if you aren't doing this for a career and fun instead? Well what are you so worried about the best method?

Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 26th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    That may have more to do with the inability to look at the difference between and e and an a :/

Also again, no one is really out to get you, but the more you make a big deal of things, this "self fulfilling prophecy" kicks in.
    I did that explicitly and see you can't even ignore someone using a instead of e in your name, yet you choose to criticize others believing they will take it easy ? .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This thread just got real pathetic, real fast. NajamQ, you are just trolling now.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did that explicitly and see you can't even ignore someone using a instead of e in your name, yet you choose to criticize others believing they will take it easy ? .
    how old are you

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    This thread just got real pathetic, real fast. NajamQ, you are just trolling now.
    Guess I am. Sorry.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Getting back to the original question - sort of. You get out what you put in. You have to figure out yourself what helps you the most and what doesn't. It can take a while for the penny to drop or you might find something better. Watch them, listen, you might learn, you might not.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Getting back to the original question - sort of. You get out what you put in. You have to figure out yourself what helps you the most and what doesn't. It can take a while for the penny to drop or you might find something better. Watch them, listen, you might learn, you might not.
    Thanks, I am filling in my sketchbook which looks kind of scribblings but slowly getting the idea. I have real difficulty in getting the three quarter view right.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to NajamQ For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep at it!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

39. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey NajamQ, I studied the hell out the vilppu books and videos.

Heres some of my suggestions. I started with drawing manual while concurrently watching the drawing manual series.

So I would read chapter 1, draw all the drawing in chapter 1, then watch the first lecture. Then read and copy chapter 2, and watch the second lecture.

Sometimes I would watch the lectures a second time and copy all the drawings he was doing.

One thing to remember, people learn by imitation. They look at the expert and copy the person until they get it themselves. This applies to a karate kick or hammering a nail.

I would try to hold the pencil the way vilppu did, and copy the way he put down stokes, everything. Its hard to get that in a book.

I think I got a lot out of vilppu in that way.

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Immortal Cintiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou @Immortal, I was doing it the other way around, I also found his Anatomy lectures to be most helpful. Since I am aiming for Concept Art so its more relevent to use gestures than using stiff head count method. Also reading books on Anatomy is useless untill you know what you are looking for but Vilppu made it easy.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to NajamQ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Copy the master can only get you so far, copy is acceptable but only to a certain extend.

You have to analyse according to his book and videos. "My take on what he meant by that is" don't just do line for line on the paper/tablet etc. Actually look at the flow of the figure be it sitting, standing, in motion. If you can see the flow in your mind clearly then you just have to train your arm to put it on the paper/computer.

I find that actually looking at the figure/reference material for a while before starting helps rather than diving straight in with the pencil and paper.

After you feel comfortable, try and draw some action/gesture from memory.

Give yourself some intervals (i.e 2 mins, 5 mins, 10 mins etc).

This is kinda common sense and obvious but the more careful you are with your drawing the more accurate it will be.

I also find that drawing the basic forms helps a lot (sphere, cylinders, boxes, ellipses, cones), these are basic building blocks which helps you understand the shape of a figure and how they interrelate.

The hardest hurdle (at least for me anyway) is getting discouraged and having too high expectation of your drawing.

We have a lot of tools at our disposal, imagine Michelangelo and Da Vinci's era who only had a slab of marble/rock + hammer and chisel. These days we've got, cameras, tablets, anatomical model for references (better than dissecting dead bodies).

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Betrayal For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 3