Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Adventures of an Illustrator (update: illustration 1 WIP, final images link)

**EDIT: I've added a new thread for finished images (link). I'll be posting finals there as I finish.**

2/12 EDIT: Semi-final cover & center spread illustrations & the next WIP below!

I'm putting together a promotional illustrated mini-book on the theme of the (somewhat embellished) autobiographical adventures of a freelance illustrator.
    This is my tentatively finished main/cover illustration and center spread:

And the next in-progress image:

Adventures of an Illustrator (update: illustration 1 WIP, final images link)
    I could use some fresh eyes to spot potential problems or tweaks that could make for stronger images!
    Last edited by wylielise; February 12th, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: progress update.
    malice, whimsy, and illustration.
    www.wyliebeckert.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Fantastic work Can't wait to see more! Subscribed!

Thanks
    EDIT: I wrote some stuff, but then I looked at your website and you probably already know everything I said. Great stuff!

Thanks
    Nice Pic! Soft color make it look great.

Thanks
    Hi Wylielise, nice work man.
    One thing i´d do is the balanceweight of line. You could use thicker lines for thing closer to the viewer and thin lines for things far away, specially the clouds, diferents thickness add depth.
    Another thing is the pose of the arm and hand, try to do the pose yourself and see if its confortable to you.
    I hope it can help
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanks for the input - the pose of the back arm has been bothering me since the sketch stage, but after taking a few reference photos it seemed to be in the right position and angle... The arms are proportionally short, but lengthening them seems to gives a sort of yeti-ish look.

If anyone can spot the problem/solution, I'd love a paintover... or thoughts on whether it would be better to hide the entire contraption in the coat pocket.

Almost done with the finishing on this one - I'll post the final (and hopefully some sketches for the companion pieces) soon.
    www.wyliebeckert.com

Thanks
    gorgeous looking cover! Only a couple of minor suggestions - I think you could do away with that slight crease in the back of her right leg (as we view it), as it would read just as well as the outer lines, and currently makes her leg look a bit muscley or lumpy! I also think the plcement of the crumple in the boot is suggesting her ankle is quite high up her leg, maybe if that was shifted down toward where the ankle is, it might be a better instant read.

Have you tried adding a couple of crease folds in the jacket round the elbow to help sell the idea her arm is receding in space? Not sure if it'll work, just a thought!

And finally... this is just personal preference, and maybe a bit of the inner designer in me, but I can't help but feel just a small flash of colour near the face of the character would instantly make you focus on her first, and give the eye a start point to travel round the image... could be something like a coloured lining on the clothes, or on the paintbrushes and such... just a pleasing little trinket in amoung the browns to add a bit of happy to the image. Course if you planned the whole colour scheme deliberately, ignore this suggestion!

Thanks

awesome image

the groundwork is all there I suggest just punching it up a bit separate the elements the foremost to the background.......did this quick maybe it helps don't know...
    Attachment 1408457
    anyways just my thought....I totally dig the image and am only trying to give my two pennies in hopes that you can make it the best image it can be.....

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the input on the cover! My final (link)still needs some tweaking, but I'm holding off until I have the details of the accompanying images nailed down. In the meantime, here's my WIP for one of the interior illustrations - this one's going to be the center spread in the finished book. Feedback much appreciated!

Name:  fljpg.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  132.4 KB
    Beyond the general finishing, I think I need to make the forest leafier, and the right-hand darks lighter. Thoughts?
    www.wyliebeckert.com

Thanks
    Wow! I really love this. Great style. I wouldn't change a thing.

Very creative and whimsical.
    Follow Me on Twitter

See more work at beastmasterjr.deviantart.com

Thanks
    I really like it, can't think of anything to crit on it.

Thanks
    Mm, the "seeks stories" label could pop up a little more, the character kinda steals the attention from the title at the moment.

Love the style though, how are you going to be releasing this when it's ready?

Thanks
    Thanks all!

EelisK, I'm planning to use this as a promotional mailer to art directors at publishing houses. I'm going to hand-bind the images into books to send to the companies that my work would be the most suited to, and use the cover image as a postcard mailer to the rest of my list.

I figure that since the project will have about 10 images and feature some of the subjects I like drawing (girl characters, spooky forests, critters) it will make an effective mini-portfolio while being a little bit different and hopefully eye-catching, and showing my abilities with storytelling, consistent portrayal of characters, etc. Of course if anyone with more self-promo experience has a different opinion on it, I'd love to hear it.
    www.wyliebeckert.com

Thanks
    Spread finished, and I'm getting started on the next illustration!
    www.wyliebeckert.com

Thanks
    Nice, clean and fresh...
    I'd love to know more about your working process, maybe through a sketchbook thread or in here all the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast