Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Sketch Slow

Thanks
    Long time no see CA org! Here are some updates.

Forest Concept for General Gau studio.
    Name:  gg_darkforest_web.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  54.8 KB

Card art for Last Chronicle, Hobby Japan.
    Name:  lc_gaira_web.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  80.5 KB

I started my facebook site: http://www.facebook.com/raqmoful

...and I'm working on personal piece now, and I'd love to hear what you guys think.

sketch:
    Name:  naming1.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  40.4 KB

color wip1:
    Name:  naming2.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  43.7 KB

color wip2:
    Name:  naming4.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  46.3 KB

Thanks, Happy Thanksgiving!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Given your experience in the industry, I probably cannot comment from a position of strength, but I think I could be helpful. There are some consistencies in your work that highlight your initial concern that your color and lighting were off. I'd learn more observing your posts than commenting, but still:

To begin, your contrast and lighting does show everything you intend, but your high values make your colors seem a bit washed out, like a watercolor painting with too much white left on the canvas. To clarify further, in some spots, the areas in light are bright enough to be a light source themselves, or are as bright as the white of the sky/background, though they are in a figure/object. These areas are often large enough that you could not add smaller, but opaque white, highlights that would crisply define the features.

A quick fix over would be to adjust the RGB paths in the Curves tool in Photoshop, pushing the middle values over a larger range or sliding the highlights down. You could also use the Multiply brush setting with the color you see as the local value of the skin, object, etc, or just with a warm yellow-orange in natural light settings. Or do the same with the Darker Color setting. This would allow you to "stop" at a certain darkness and it nicely evens things out.

As for color, many of your lights are very fluorescent and cool, though this does make sense for some pieces (ice, underwater, so on)... Your yellow lights are more blue-ish yellow (lemon yellow) rather than yellow orange (cadmium yellow, if you like) when you seem to want natural lighting, but the shadows would need to be warmer with a cool light. If the source is yellow, the shadow is violet, green-red, orange sunlight has blue shadow and so on.

Curves tool again to just push heat into the middle ranges of value, or just to shoot one color into the lights and the opposite into the darks? Color's a freak, digitally, when you learned with pigments.

That's a lot of text, but that's moreso because I suck at being concise than you needing huge leaps and bounds or anything like that. It's obviously at professional standard already, but I thought I might be able to give 2 cents on your initial concerns.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProZacaryBrown View Post
    A quick fix over would be to adjust the RGB paths in the Curves tool in Photoshop, pushing the middle values over a larger range or sliding the highlights down. You could also use the Multiply brush setting with the color you see as the local value of the skin, object, etc, or just with a warm yellow-orange in natural light settings. Or do the same with the Darker Color setting. This would allow you to "stop" at a certain darkness and it nicely evens things out.

As for color, many of your lights are very fluorescent and cool, though this does make sense for some pieces (ice, underwater, so on)... Your yellow lights are more blue-ish yellow (lemon yellow) rather than yellow orange (cadmium yellow, if you like) when you seem to want natural lighting, but the shadows would need to be warmer with a cool light. If the source is yellow, the shadow is violet, green-red, orange sunlight has blue shadow and so on.
    ProZacaryBrown : very nice crit! Thanks for reminding me about the color relationships. I think this is one of the things I've been forgetting and causing the struggle with colors lately. Though it is funny that I tend to paint low contrast in the beginning that I used to be asked to bump up the contrast before submitting. I guess I was doing it too much.

Thanks!

Finished version of the dragon and the girl!
    Name:  givinganame_web.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  65.7 KB

Also another personal piece from this winter!
    Name:  tothewest_web.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  99.1 KB

More stuff from Last Chronicle!
    Name:  lc_bluetree_web.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  lc_plague_web.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  70.8 KB

Thanks
    Oh, and also this sketch after reading ProZacaryBrown's comment. Practicing colors...

Name:  face.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  53.1 KB

Thanks
    Very nice colours in this white head The skin tone is briliant.

Thanks
    Banjavor: Thank you!

Another batch of recent work.
    Deadman's Cross: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/dc/en/
    Name:  gc_cameraman_web.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  110.8 KB
    Name:  gc_mechanic_web.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  107.2 KB
    Name:  gc_plumber_web.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  gc_snail_web.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  105.2 KB
    Name:  gc_synchro_web.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  100.2 KB

Thanks
    Very awesome work! Improvement seen at every page.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8