Sketchbook: Katey's sketchbook - New to this - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Katey's sketchbook - New to this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I said it before, I´ll say it again, I love the mixed media you do on these things

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you're practicing structural anatomy drawing as well, as painting from references. Some, like the avatar image, are quite good. I'd probably suggest some perspective drawing practice, with multiple points. Will come in handy. Keep drawing!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph Fawkes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

CA sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245741

Deviantart: http://luthertaylor.deviantart.com/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luthertaylor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much everyone. It's so great to get constructive and positive feedback.

@Seraph Fawkes I have to agree that this is something I want to practice. I understand perspective drawing when it comes to landscapes but I struggle to apply this to the human face or form. I guess I need to block out my figure in 3d shapes, apply the perspective then fill it in?

I am currently working on some oil painting besides my studies on website design and improving my graphic design portfolio (so much to do!)
    This medium is completely new to me and I had a lot of trouble just understand the basics and where you are supposed to start. There are so many different opinions and all sorts of stuff to try. I should probably have started painting grayscale... but you know what it's like, you just want to jump head first into colour. Oil painting takes a life time to 'get', never mind master.

Here's a first stage where I am attempting to block in the shadows with burnt umber. I actually feel that I started this piece far too big... the brushstrokes look small and messy because of the size of the piece and how much 'space' there is to fill across the planes of the face. When I try to 'block' in colours, even at a starting stage, it looks odd and isn't really resembling the 3d-ness of the face very well at all! I am really struggling with this piece but every time I go back to it I am learning something new, which is highly valuable.

Name:  IMG_0531.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  259.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice flow on your sketches, keep it up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 0000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update on my oil painting. I went through quite a few stages in this sitting and I got much more of a feel for medium.

This is my first time properly oil painting and it's all very new to me but I am really enjoying it. Few things aren't perfect, the colours feel quite off, I lost the shadow/light areas and they've sort of blended into each other and the nose seemed to drag down and become long. I think I need to give her more forehead as well.

Name:  IMG_0648edit.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  459.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0647edit.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  436.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies Really like that drawing of the girl with the big heart thing behind her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Design for Exhibition & Museums

Editkay I deleted this post cause it was total shitty self promotion and talk about myself to strangers like a dick kind of post.

Last edited by KateyParr; October 8th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the colours on your oil painting! It's got some proportional issues, though - overall, the nose is way too long, which it looks like you've noticed. Remember the basic proportions, dividing the head into thirds (chin to bottom of nose, nose to brow line, brow line to hairline). I know it's a pain to fix actual paint-on-canvas stuff, but for what it's worth, if it's possible to repaint the lower half of the face and just move it up a little, you'll be in business:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep you're definitely right! I am using a photo ref but I don't know how I managed to get it all long in the first place, perhaps I drew the head far too long in general.

Thanks for the photo edit, it does look much better.Not sure how well I am going to be able to paint over as the oils tend to show through the layers. Will see what I can do.

If I repainted the eyes lower, would that fix it??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great studies. like ur human skeleton head study a lot!

I guess - if I may told u that - u should try to start to learn all about the human anatomy. Beginning with the skeleton.
    I try to learn more about human skeleton/bones at the moment and it's super interesting haha... have to learn this to draw better human.

ur very good a traditional drawin' ... keep it up

Sketchb88k

Book Eight (tumblr blog)

Instagram

Twitter

DeviantArt

Kik: tony_eight

16. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Eight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really enjoy the variety in your sketchbook already. I think this will help you heaps with the design aspect of your folio, especially landscapes, machines, buildings and any weapons that need some thought given to their function as well as appearance. Your Portrait of the woman is amazing! Check out Ctrl+Paint to help you with your digital painting. Great sketchbook. Keep postin!

SB

Last edited by magicpudding; December 17th, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
    What's taters precious? Po - tay - toes!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to magicpudding For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @T-Eight: Thank you very much! I am definitely wanting to do more and more studies so please watch this space.

@magicpudding: That's great to know! I think having good ideas and concepts is one thing, but being able to express them is another, wouldn't you say? Thanks again for the confidence boost.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I'm loving the progress I'm seeing. I think if you wanted to get better though you'd need to study and read up more (like all of us). I'm just seeing a lot of expressive things that definitely are important in art but do not remain as the backbone of the art. Perhaps having a more firm understanding of forms and planes would help. If you'd like me to suggest to you some of my heroes of the fundamentals I'd love to. I'll be following you to make sure you study those fundamentals!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmob View Post
    Hey! I'm loving the progress I'm seeing. I think if you wanted to get better though you'd need to study and read up more (like all of us). I'm just seeing a lot of expressive things that definitely are important in art but do not remain as the backbone of the art. Perhaps having a more firm understanding of forms and planes would help. If you'd like me to suggest to you some of my heroes of the fundamentals I'd love to. I'll be following you to make sure you study those fundamentals!
    Absolutely I would love to hear your list. My favourite artist is Nathan Fowkes. I love the Riley Method and I am certainly attempting to get those fundamentals under wraps. I have never studied them enough as a younger girl I was immature with the art scene and didn't understand what I was doing or trying to achieve. Now I understand how far behind I am on the basics.

Will post more studies shortly, I promise! I know I can do better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, don't be too hard on yourself though. I tend to be way too hard on myself and end up burning myself out! OK, for starting off with anatomy read and study this book http://www.amazon.com/Human-Figure-D.../dp/0486204324 (vandorpoel) and Loomis pdf(s) http://alexhays.com/loomis/. The Loomis book I recommend to start with is Figure Drawing for All It's Worth. Once you have understood what they are saying and have done at least multiple lengthy drawings of what they've done you can then consult Bridgeman (Constructive Anatomy) for more of an in depth analysis of the human form. Once you have mastered this or get sick of it and just want to take a break, you can read up on composition here:http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/C...ition_tutorial and here, http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/ (for landscapes). Lez do dis... gogogogogogooo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just started a new sketchbook forum today. input is most greatly apreciated
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...tes-Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jmob Thanks for all the tips. I am working my way through these very slowly and will post my progress.

Name:  20121229_210310edit.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  529.5 KB

Here is my progress on the oil painting. I haven't finished the eyes, which is why they look faded. I am struggling to shade them in, it's really hard to the make the iris and pupils look right without her looking derp?
    However I think all round she's looking more realistic and in proportion. I moved the eyes down the face, increasing the size of her forehead. I also shrank the hair a bit etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Accidental duplicate post.

P.S Does anyone know how to shade teeth?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking your work and progress here! I think my favorite thing so far is your "scribble scrabble" in post #30! Great start to a sketchbook so far, though I'd like to see so much more!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you AdrienneRose!

Just some mmore portrait practice, attempting the Riley Method again. It's very tricky. I can't seem to get the lines down neatly in the construction period.

Name:  IMG_0778.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  93.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0777.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  78.4 KB
    Stage 1 - attempting to figure out the construction lines with the Riley method
    Name:  IMG_0780.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  105.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0787.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  124.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been away too long sob.

Well I am kinda pulling myself together at the moment. Pursuing starting my own graphic design business and hoping to practice drawing most days. Unfortunately all of my oil paints and art materials were destroyed by my ex-boyfriend so now all I have is pencils and some black fine liners. But hey, that's all you need right?

Name:  Image (2)2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  260.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1941.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  790.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That ex-boyfriend should take a chair in the face, if you ask me. Too bad we can't see how that painting turned out.
    Anyways, you have a lovely style, post more!

It all began with a crocodile sketch...

mimepinky.deviantart.com

Comission me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello fellow English traveler! I must apologize for not responding further, but I got pulled into something while AFKing and then came in already too late. You were off to a pretty good start here, hope to see more of it now that you're back, even with just a pencil,such a powerful tool. But it definitely seems you haven't been just idling around either, http://kateyparr.deviantart.com/art/...tion-370160451 turned out pretty well! Anyway, looking forward to seeing more and some more hangout! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientdrake View Post
    Hello fellow English traveler! I must apologize for not responding further, but I got pulled into something while AFKing and then came in already too late. You were off to a pretty good start here, hope to see more of it now that you're back, even with just a pencil,such a powerful tool. But it definitely seems you haven't been just idling around either, http://kateyparr.deviantart.com/art/...tion-370160451 turned out pretty well! Anyway, looking forward to seeing more and some more hangout! Keep it up!
    Thank you Drake! I certainly do hope to improve a lot more. Thanks for checking out my deviantART! I've posted the same artwork below. It was the first digital illustration I've really ever done, and I had to complete it with a mouse as I still don't have a tablet.

Name:  small.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  493.5 KB

Oh and some portrait practice I did few weeks ago:

Name:  IMG_1829.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  565.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1828.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  688.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1826.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  772.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1836.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  180.9 KB

Last edited by KateyParr; October 9th, 2013 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your colors are really awesome, and I live that digital drawing! I could never do something that good with a mouse. 0_o If you're looking for a starter tablet, I would suggest checking out Wacom. They have a few tablets that are around or under $100, and they often come with starter art programs! They're great starter tablets, it takes a bit of getting used to to look at the computer while drawing off to the side. Good luck with your continuing improvement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KateyParr View Post

Name:  small.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  493.5 KB

I like this It's very good, your best work. By the way, get all the Andrew Loomis books if you don't have them yet - they are really great for fundamentals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @R-K

Thank you so much. I did try really hard on it. It didn't totally work in the design I had it planned for in the end but it did the job. When I get a tablet I hope to do more of that sort of thing.

Did some scribbling fun, I wanted to just make something I enjoyed for a bit. I have been doing some loomis studies but not scanned them yet, will update later on.

I need to come up with some designs for greeting cards, like happy birthday cards etc. But the deisgn needs to appeal to the general public. It's hard to know where to start, what to acquire before I sit in illustrator/photoshop messing around. My illustration just isn't consistant enough to create something really illustrative-unique.

Name:  tree ladysmall.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  676.6 KB

Last edited by KateyParr; October 11th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oil portrait's looking reeeeeally good! You've really captured a nice form on the nose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, really nice work in here. That digital blew me away to be honest. Just keep working your fundamentals like the others have said and you'll be awesome :>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 34