Sketchbook: Katey's sketchbook - New to this

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Katey's sketchbook - New to this

Hello! I'm English and new here.

I just graduated from the University of Lincoln last year and this year is all about improve, improve and improve

My most professional skill is graphic design. At University I studied Design For Exhibiton & Museums where I was taught how to design an environment that tells a story to its audience.

I feel like my design ideas and concepts are great but I lack the talent to visualise these successfully in an artistic manner.

Hopefully that will change!

I am still battling with the basics of form, tone and light. I've concluded that I can't begin to draw concepts from my imagination until I can draw the fundamentals with good comfort.

So please expect to find lots of practice and simple things to start whilst I grasp the fundamentals of drawing. I know I am a long way off.

I work by hand in traditional mediums at the moment... I rather like experimenting with paints as I am quite an expressive person and love to get 'stuck in'.

I am sorry I wrote so much! It felt like it needed to be said

Katey

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KateyParr; December 12th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're off to a good start your sketches show a lot of personality. I like the loose lines, but on the last guy, the hatching between the eyes and eyebrows looks a bit like giant eyelashes.

Looking forward to more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DSiwek View Post
    I think you're off to a good start your sketches show a lot of personality. I like the loose lines, but on the last guy, the hatching between the eyes and eyebrows looks a bit like giant eyelashes.

Looking forward to more
    Haha, yes I think you're right. Thanks for the comment.

The sketchy sketches were really quick 'speed' sketches that I drew from peoples photographs (webcam profile pictures and stuff like that!). I spent less than 5-10 minutes on each.

Hatching is a blessing to only the most talented !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These all look really neat. I especially like the first and second one, they eye catching to me. But the hair on the 3rd and 5th I think should get some more detailed or reworked.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ness17 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Yes they are lacking in detail because they were super quick sketches. I shall do some more quick sketches and remember to focus on the hair better, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the expression in your sketches! Even if it's subtle sometimes, it's still there and working! I like the work on your website,too, although some larger images would make looking at them even more fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lemming-clone- View Post
    I like the expression in your sketches! Even if it's subtle sometimes, it's still there and working! I like the work on your website,too, although some larger images would make looking at them even more fantastic.
    Ah, thank you! Unfortunately the website was very rushed, but I am so glad you looked and liked it I had to get it done quick in time for the graduation show when I was looking for employment.

Eventually I shall turn it into a portfolio site... when I have more of a portfolio

Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic Work +subscribed can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino_PuA View Post
    Fantastic Work +subscribed can't wait to see more!
    Thank you!

Another quick update of some sketches. I've always drawn figures with a very simplified ball and line method, which has proved to be somewhat guesswork and unreliable. It is only since joining this forum that I have really realised the true need for completely understanding the skeleton and muscles as well as life drawing experience.

I will be getting my hands on some epic tutorials for this, I've noticed Andrew Loomis as well as The Structure of Man to be very good for this, so watch this space for some updates of such studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent start on the sketchbook! On your two most recent pieces, just be careful how you size the head. The heads in both of these drawings are looking a bit big. Also, on the second drawing the eyes seem to be a little crooked. The horizon line of the drawing would be slightly above the eyes if you were to follow the perspective lines of her body, but not to the extent that her left eye would be so much higher than her right.

Anyway, really enjoying your work! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've decided to make my own sketchbook post so that I can hopefully get some feedback and advice on what my niche is.
    You don't want a niche - suck up every stictch and scrap of learning you can from everywhere. Do stuff you hate. If you find yourself drawing lots of fairy princesses then draw some tank-style robots. or vice versa. Forcing yourself to do things that are outside your comfort zone is the best way to learn

I am still battling with the basics of form, tone and light. I've concluded that I can't begin to draw concepts from my imagination until I can draw the fundamentals with good comfort.
    That's smart - you'd be surprised how many ppl don't figure that out.

So please expect to find lots of practice and simple things to start whilst I grasp the fundamentals of drawing
    I will....

Anyways >.> that's enough of me being a weirdo. You do have some interesting ideas, I quite like the first post of the bunch- and what SB isn't complete without a top hat?
    You've got the right ideas on what you need to do- so no real advice on that front. Just keep up the good fight & happy sketching

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much Rhubix, it's really great to hear I'm on the right track!

I'll try to experiment around then! I know that it will come to a point where I will need some real advice when trying to convey my art into digital. That is going to be tricky business as I have only ever done graphic design digitally, not much illustrations or anything.

Thanks for encouragment, I need it

Last edited by KateyParr; January 23rd, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Born, raised, and still residing in Hollister, California
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty solid start. the line work on the first post (ur thread pic) is impressive. u have thinner lines where they are needed and thin lines where they are are not keep practicing

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dU5K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blindshot View Post
    Excellent start on the sketchbook! On your two most recent pieces, just be careful how you size the head. The heads in both of these drawings are looking a bit big. Also, on the second drawing the eyes seem to be a little crooked. The horizon line of the drawing would be slightly above the eyes if you were to follow the perspective lines of her body, but not to the extent that her left eye would be so much higher than her right.

Anyway, really enjoying your work! Keep it up!
    Thanks for the advice. Hopefully my proportions and things are going to be much better after some better figure studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW I like your classical medium, keep them coming, I looove this sketchy women #9
    and the first post the women with the hat is veeery cool.

Welcome @ the SOURCE of inspiration @

Sketchbook - . Show Real - . Commission me- Online Shop - .

*critique* advice* help full links* paint overs, highly appreciated !

Submissions accepted;"DRAW THE CHANGE you want to see in the WORLD!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the kind words guys

This update is about studying the head to start with (decided to join in with the anatomy study group over here!

So I'm having a look at Andrew Loomis' structure first. I've only ever started my construction lines with very vague shapes. This is my first time even drawing a skull (how embarrasing). I was surprised at how much fun I had.

Started loose and expressive first - I'm really trying to get a grasp of the 'planes' concept and feel the form/blocks of the head more.

I know that my lines are too thick and dominating (this is a huge flaw in the way that I sketch generally). Slowly trying to work on that. I just love to press the pencil down too hard.

Any critique or advice is always appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to have a go at the CHoW that's going on. Lots of things went wrong and wrong and I feel like I just drew it too cartoony.

The watercolours came out awfull but I admit I haven't painted for years and years. I didn't even have proper watercolour paper

However! I still learnt a few things and it reminds me yet again that I need to carry on with my anatomy lessons desperately. I figure it'd be good fun and experience to try and come up with a character design though...

I do want to draw her again and make improvements. I have till Monday so!

Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Katey!

Thanks for posting my my sketchbook.
    It seems like you've got the ball rolling already, as for suggestions hmm.
    You seem to be heavy handed with that pencil. Try t be more delicate, and knock those contrasts where they need to be, like eyes ( or face in general, or any other points of intrests ).

The second thing that helped me, watch other people's work, alot!
    This seems silly and sometimes obvious, but i can't count how many times someones artwork inspired me on that day to draw or paint something.

Have a great day, ba bye!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Katey...thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

I'm really liking what I see here, especially the demon girl in the first post. I like the looseness of your style.

Looking forward to more!

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys

Looking for a job at the moment so finding it difficult to find the time to concentrate on my anatomy which I so badly need to study.

I wanted to draw something for my partners birthday as he has hinted this is what he'd like.

Oh dear! I am not happy with the cartoon lady at all, everything went well at first then yet again all wrong. Don't even get me started on the lighting. Still, hopefully he will like it all the same, I just won't be able to stand looking at

I know my number one rule now is to stop getting so dark so fast! And anatomy/life drawing pronto! Ack!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Truly intend to work more this year.

Here's a sketch I did trying out that pretty awesome construction technique which I was inspired to try by Nathan Fowkes:

See here:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Fw8F-ln1iZ...-head2-web.jpg

I'm not sure if it has a specific name?

It was my very first attempt at this and it helped incredibly. I look forward to keep trying this construction, as it is complex but if you do it right, it works!

I'm still battling with anatomy but I don't have the time to focus as much as I'd like, so I figure I'll do some portrait practicing till I do.

Now the other stuff I'm posting below I did not really practice properly for and my construction was lazy and as such the completed image has suffered. Lesson learnt yet again

These fishies are Parr fish that I painted for my grandparents diamond wedding anniversary. Was my first go at painting fish.

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches, very cool style you got!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your water colours look very nice. The one with the turtle is good. Interestingly i like the unfinished version of the turtle better. I guess the Mermaid and the not so watery looking pencils in the background
    are the reason. Underwater scenes are very hard. I did a few because I had to for a job. I was drowning in references and was still not happy.
    Loomis is a very good start indeed. He sure helped me out quiet a lot and still does. Do the excercises consistantly. i like the painting that made your profile. Combining the techniques is a nice touch.
    Keep it up

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the feedback bbwolf.

I agree I totally messed up the turtle piece and it was looking much better unfinished. I really love underwater scenes so I would like to look more into how I can make these successful.

Will be doing more Loomis studies shortly for sure, thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Katey, thanks for posting in my SB!

Diggin the style you got going! Also cool to see how much your linework has improved when comparing the mermaid to your earlier work, though your lines seem to become more unconfident around the leg area(?)
    Start cramming out some studies and you'll be more confident! Keep it up and don't forget to share it with us here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates here. Although I agree with bbwolf on the turtle picture, I still like it.

Also, the Nathan Fowkes inspired drawing is great too. I think he uses the Riley Method, but I could be wrong. You should have posted your steps, would have been interesting to see.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

32. The Following User Says Thank You to bish0p2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your style! Sorry I don't really have any cc other than anatomy studies but looks like you're already on the right track, hope to see more soon!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to anivy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the pic of Ariel with webbed hands and feet! I'd really like to see more of that!!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to sandcastler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More portrait attempts and scribble scrabble.

20121102_222905.jpg20121102_225818.jpg20121102_235210.jpg20121103_0010422.jpgstage2.jpg

Erhmm dunno what I've done with all the attachment business, sorry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3