Sketchbook: Danuese's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Danuese's Sketchbook

Hi everybody!

Inspired by MindCandyMan's thread and really, inspired by this site, I decided to take my 'Art' or at least my attempts at art a step further.
    I've been drawing for a long time, but I hardly ever practised, I only just... drew. More importantly, I hardly ever did any serious works or attempts, since I was always too lazy to put a lot of effort into it.

Leaving this behind now, I will start making serious attempts at creating art and more imporantly, to improve my skills. I only have a very poor Tablet, so I'm mostly gonna post pencil sketches for now. I very much dislike how people I know and communities like DA just... don't give proper critics, so please tell me that it sucks and then point out why.

The first one here is a study of a drawing of Max Slevogt by Emil Orlik. The original drawing is found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Max_Slevogt.jpg

The other is figure drawing practise off a photograph.

Both were done this weekend and I slightly enhanced the contrast on both pictures, since my camera didn't feel like taking good pictures of them. Thanks for taking the time to look at my sketchbook!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, looking forward to more.

The second image seems a bit blurred though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Topcross. The blurriness was due to my camera not liking my art I guess. Here's another one, another figure practise I guess. Loved the pose, don't really like how it turned out.

Critisism is very very appreciated

Again I would like to apologize for the quality of the picture. Enhanced contrast for your convenience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lengthy post ahead, since I sketched a lot yesterday. First I drew my own hand. The first sketch of my hand took me about 20 minutes, the others are 2-minute sketches, not counting the shading.

Followed by two sketches of someone watching TV.

And then horses.
    Since I had never drawn a horse before I started out with photographic reference and then got myself a book to help me with it. On the pictures you can see my progress over the course of the day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches, trying to construct the human head and still working on my horses for the ultimate goal of drawing Don Quixote! (Of whom I made a silly little sketch too, but it just shows that I need to work more)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your work, and you're off to a great start! Especially the first two anatomy drawings. They look really alive. Looking forward to the "Ultimate Don Quixote drawing," as the first one is not half bad at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks UTR! It's really appreciated. I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but ah well.

Did this after a photograph as you can see below. Some obvious mistakes, so hints and critics are very appreciated!
    (I would also like to apologize for the picture of the picture being crappy)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches I did this morning. First horse posted here that I drew without any reference, so feedback would be very appreciated.

The other is a simple light and colour practise.

Yay for my first digital works on CA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    45-Minute-Pose-Study. I think I might do more of those, especially since I finally found good male references for once. Might try some 15-minutes studies, but lots of 'em.
    Her right arm is off, and I really need to try to work cleaner. It looked alright while I was working on it, but now I hate how thick the initial sketch comes out.
    Critique is, as usual, very appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying out a new colouring approach, quite like it so far, gotta get used to it though. I might try this again later on, on a human 'subject'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more sketch for today, based on my previous pencil sketch.
    Quite happy with how it turned out, but please point out my mistakes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally finished! ...not gonna post it in the finally finished forum though, by far not good enough. Anyway, I'm really proud, never did something like this before!
    Be the first to critisize! Kick me off my pedestal, I want to improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I took a long break from posting, I didn't take a break from practise!

The reactions to my last picture were horrible, however, the problem wasn't the digital painting, but the drawing. So I realized I had to start over again, which is what I did. I started out with drawing simple circles and lines and got a lot more into how to build a head, form, figure, perspective and light.

I also picked up a new medium (charcoal) to force myself to start anew with my manual skills and trained myself to have a better grip on my pen. I drew a few hundred figures (thanks to posemaniacs' 30-second figure program), dozens of heads and constructed the head using all the guidelines so many times. I even explained it to other people, as a further practise. I'll see if I can find the time to photograph and post it all, but it's dozens of pages and that would be a metric shitton of work.
    I haven't picked up any colours ever since then, because I realized that a crappy drawing can only yield a crappy painting, no matter how well painted it is.

The only thing I have to show off now is this tiny colour study that I did, nothing special, nothing interesting, but I didn't want to post without a picture, and I will definitely profit from it. I used a few new rendering techniques here.
    Sorry for the lenghtiness, and thanks for taking the time to read it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while since I posted, I suppose I've been working less on my art. But here I am back with some little things I've been working on. The first was inspired by children's books. I was trying to simplify and only work with lines.
    The other two are little landscape sketches. I will make a couple more of those and maybe try to render one of them out. I'm not sure which is better of those though.

Name:  1.png
Views: 30
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  plains_white2.png
Views: 31
Size:  179.4 KB

Name:  island2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  53.6 KB

Thanks for looking at my sketchbook!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.