Cintiqs and colour acccuracy

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Cintiqs and colour acccuracy

Hi all, I'm a long time Intuos tablet user, and recently made the leap to the cintiq, in the form of the 12" WX, and have sadly had to return it only a few days after purchasing it, hugely disappointed with its viewing angles and colour accuracy. After a lot of research and trying multiple calibration techniques and profiles, I couldn't get it to match my regular monitors (a samsung 24 and an Apple 20") - the whole screen just seemed incapable of displaying anything in the saturated spectrum, and the 1200 x 800 resolution just wasn't cutting it when I'm used to an A4 intous and a 24" screen!

Not wanting to simply leap blindly into an upgrade to the tune of £2000, I was wondering if anyone out there has one of the new 24" cintiqs, and whether they had any experience with how colour accurate it is? Colour accuracy is fundamental to the kind of work I do (doing pieces like this, where being able to see subtle hue and tone shifts in dark grey: Behold the Nightmare ) I realise that you can never calibrate for every monitor, but I'd at least want to be able to calibrate a cintiq to be close to what I'm seeing on my own monitors, which the 12WX simply couldn't do.

Any other thoughts on owning a 24" Cintiq would also be super appreciated, negative or positive. I'm aware of the ArtPen issues, but that won't be an issue, as I don't have one!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The 24 inch model was specifically advertised as Color Calibrating friendy (unlike the 12 and 21 inchers). I'd recommend trying to find on on demo you can play around with first though. Tekserve in NYC has the 24 incher on demo, and I hijack it all the time when I'm in the city. I'm not sure where in the UK one would be on demo, but I know some tech stores in Germany (Saturn) have the Cintiqs on display(or at least they did 3 years ago).The only thing I dislike is the dimness, the Cintiqs are all around 200 nits, so chancess are, your main monitor will still be brighter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What monitors do you specifically have at the moment?

I got the 24HD over a week ago and did a review on my blog site. As far as color goes it's probably the best monitor I've used, I'm currently using a Samsung SA950D(my previous monitor was a Samsung 24" 245b) as my main monitor and it's super bright and the colors are decent, but the Cintiq has superior color reproduction no doubt.
    The only monitor I've personally used that comes close to the colors is the Apple Cinema 30" display, but that was super bright.

The Cintiq isn't the brightest monitor as stated but for me it's more then bright enough, maybe due to me working in a lower light environment.

It's worth mentioning that I've not used any device to calibrate the unit, it's as it was when it was delivered, I spent nearly an hour trying to adjust my other 2 monitors to try and get close to the Cintiq... they couldn't and the Samsung SA950D is no pushover.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    I wrote this a few months ago: http://managingcolors.blogspot.com/2...ation-and.html

You may also find interesting the comments and other articles in the blog (relating other issues with the Cintiq 24HD, for example the absence of a 0 bad pixel warranty and the fan noise).

Regarding the screen I’d like to remember that is very important to own a good colorimeter of spectrophotometer to reach good results in terms of “color performance”.

Thanks

My Setup.

I've been using my Cintiq 12wx and a Macbook Pro with Lion for a while now and I'm aware of the colour differences and inaccuracies between these two screen types. So far all I've been able to do is pick my colours on the Macbook screen then drag the window onto the Cintiq to use the pen.
    As a break down; I create a new layer named 'palette' and then dot the colours I'm going to use to one side, then drag the window to the Cintiq and continue working. I've found that is the easiest way to use the right colours and be able to switch to them quickly and accurately (with the eyedropper tool).
    If you pick a colour on the Mac (colour a) it changes to colour b on the Cintiq screen, if you eyedropper colour b and drag back to the mac it changes to colour c and none of the colours will match.

If anyone else is using that setup in a different way or know of a better way to match the colours (affordably) then I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
    I recently bought a cintiq 12, and discovered the hard way that cintiq will always turns out a bit darker and redder than normal screen. Here's a comparison

This is painted in cintiq without color adjustment

This is what it supposed to look like (after adjust color and level in normal monitor)

I asked around, turns out it's a known issue for cintiq that it'll always look a bit darker and redder. So I guess you just have to be aware of it and drag image between screens to make sure the color is correct.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.