is it worth it?/having a meltdown - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: is it worth it?/having a meltdown

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't know if this helps or not. for a while i had to take a break from the industry due to contractual non competition agreements. it was killer. not only did i have a few steps back from the industry, i had a blemish that a studio dropped me--doesn't matter the why.

i had to do a TON of soul searching. wondering if the entire industry was worth it or if i was "not a real artist because i only got paid to produce slot machine games." and yes that's a quote i received from a co worker.

there were points i wanted to quit, i tried reevaluating my career and my life. moved to the other side of the country and didn't find much improvement. taught myself web development stuff to try to generate some kind of an income to no avail. remade the website and sent out my resume to roughly 15-30 studios/freelance positions a month with not much more than an auto reply. i had literally gotten to the point where i was done. after 4 years of the industry and even shipped titles, going to college and telling the world the only thing i ever wanted to do was draw, the world was telling me to check out and i did.

two weeks later i got a call from a studio i'd gotten a phone interviews for, but for whatever reason decided they didn't want an in-house artist after all. they wanted me to be contracted offsite. i've been learning to trust that somehow i'll find a way and it's strangely worked.

times get tough when you chase your dreams. don't stop if it's what makes you happy and you'll eventually be rewarded.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its way fucking better than having a "office" job
    There's no reason why you can't do the cube-dweller thing as your 'day job' and pursue the art in the evenings. It'll give you a steady income while you're building your client base doing commission or freelance work, if you decide to go that way.

Besides, desk jobs aren't bad if you like what you're doing. I'm a programmer by day, and I really enjoy it. I think of it like another kind of creativity. The feeling I get when my script runs the way it's supposed to, or when I finally squash that one tricky bug is similar to the feeling I get when I finally finish a piece I've been working on for ages, or when I've finally figured out what's making my piece feel 'off' and fixed it.

i also want to go out and drink everyday
    How do you expect to get your regular schoolwork done then, let alone extra art practice? Go drinking every day and you may not even qualify for that dreaded desk job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, nothing is worth it...
    unless you make it worth it.

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the thing if it isn't worth it to you to try you're not an artist in my opinion. Forget about fame or success, either do it because you want to or don't, the world doesn't care. It doesn't need another artist. Noboby is going to remember what you did after you die anyway even if you are succesful in your life time, which most people won't be.

I'll bet you there is not one artist on this site (including me) that will be remembered 100 years after their death.

Last edited by dpaint; January 25th, 2012 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My position, as it turns out, is far less abysmal and depressing than dpaint's.

There's nothing wrong with treating art as a hobby, or even as something that interacts meaningfully with everything else you do in life. For instance, I am, technically speaking, trained as an architect, but that doesn't stop me from drawing or painting. Furthermore, improving as an artist benefits my architectural pursuits. My point is, there's no need for the "all or nothing" approach. You don't need to give up on art simply because you don't see any potential for pragmatic gains. Art's never been about pragmatism anyway. Perhaps it also has something to do with our stupid, stupid generation. We're accustomed to instant gratification, and when we can't draw like bosses after like one week of practice we get discouraged. Stop that shit. Just enjoy the process and improve so that you can draw the things that really matter, like cyborg lesbians wielding miniguns.

Yeah. That's what it's all about.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha alright, from what i read i think i expressed my self a little diferent than what i intented.

by an office job i meant something that i do not quite enjoy. i said that to counter "being an artist". in the sense of something tedious. yes you can have fun with programing, but i dont.
    (i dont think im making myself any clearer)
    anyways,
    drinking all day was a hyperbole(damn boy think before you write!)

well
    now to the discussion.
    the all or nothing mentality.
    i think that i have to make a descision. if i choose to persue an art carrer than i must study and apply myself. but if i dont, doesnt mean im gonna stop making art, its just that im not going to focus my energy on that, i would probably do close to no studies, and instead just have fun doodling and creating. and also use less of my time to draw, putting those minutes into other productive/entretaining things.

and to dpaints statement
    thats completely true.
    but a part of me still wants to you know, leave a mark in this world. i will keep persuing that, i think everbody should, thats how we achieve or best, by aiming as high as we can. if i happen to be remenbered it will be a bonus, my question is that is it worth it having a ordinary and unremarkable artist life instead of an unremarkable and ordinary life as a economist. for the moment(and its been a few months,) it is worth it.

thanks a lot guys, its great to get response. this really makes me think, and so far it had a very positive result. i think that when others present me the question my doubts run away and i stand for what i want
    and its always good to get slapped and remembered that im still foolish

btw, fck yeah cyborg lesbians all the way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragah View Post

btw, fck yeah cyborg lesbians all the way!
    They're what dreams are made of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When my current art teacher was in his early career, he had a first year art shool student that, he says was very talented, bit of a nerd with a head of funky red hair, with a bit of an attitude.

The kid was asking "how do I become rich and famous?"
    The teacher told him... You go to New York, and market yourself.
    The kid quit school, and went to New York....

The student's name is Mark Kostabi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kostabi
    I gather Kostabi has a rather controversial career, and some would say dubious. He apparently did manage to get rich....

Last edited by Conniekat8; January 25th, 2012 at 04:13 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragah View Post
    and to dpaints statement
    thats completely true.
    but a part of me still wants to you know, leave a mark in this world. i will keep persuing that, i think everbody should, thats how we achieve or best, by aiming as high as we can. if i happen to be remenbered it will be a bonus, my question is that is it worth it having a ordinary and unremarkable artist life instead of an unremarkable and ordinary life as a economist. for the moment(and its been a few months,) it is worth it.
    There's the love of doing what you're doing.
    And there's the idea of how what you're doing fits in with the grand scheme of things.

The second is almost entirely a fiction inside your own head (That, as dpaint said, goes for all of us). Therefore it cannot be trusted.
    It will be used to justify all kinds of undertakings that make no sense to your general, animal comfort or your sense of context in your immediate surrounds.

Here's a conundrum:
    When a prisoner escapes the prison, he also leaves behind a sense of purpose, that is, the need for escape.
    So he invents one...

Last edited by Chris Bennett; January 25th, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watched this video yesterday.

http://vimeo.com/24715531

Seems like it could reassure a lot of artists around here unsure about taking an artistic path.

Keep at it !!

Last edited by VirgL; January 25th, 2012 at 10:23 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have read something about tedious office jobs being done by robots in the future. So only jobs requiring some form of artistic endeavors are left.

You are also coming off a bit ambiguous. Do you want to be an achiever or a non-achiever? Are you passionate about economics or art?

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Conniekat8, oh ahahah i think it was probably lucky, artist shouldnt think like that

Chris, hmm it took me a while to understand what you are saying. but if i got that right. the part of where what i love fits into the world i think its the part that tricks me. you are saying its all in my head. from my point of view its real(but a crazy person cant tell that himself is crazy).
    i mean, im gonna have a diferent life depending on what job i choose.
    if im an engineer and i get idk, send to germany for a conference, ill be either like, ok at least i get to see germany or oh thats gonna be boring.
    but i know if i choose to be an artist when i get to go to a conference, will be like super pumped to meet other artist and talk about all kinds of stuff.
    i think this is part of the love for art.
    but at the same time if do "extra hours" on my job, im gonna be missing out on something.

yes yes, its simple, i just have to measure if i like doing art more or hanging out more.
    its just that at this moment im a little confused,
    so you say simply, balance bonth.
    well i tried, didnt worked too well.
    yes ill try again, but im still scared it will go out of my control

and last thing on the conundrum.
    when i tried to balance, that was the problem, i was focusing on balancing things, not on doing them. once i gave up one, i could properly concentrate on the other and not only i would have a little more time for that, but my productivity tripled at least.
    it happened on both sides, social life, and at the moment drawing.

Virg , haha yeees man, that so true. i had seen that a few months ago . thanks a lot

Vay, im definetly want to be an achiever. i abhor not working towards something. but when you ask me if im passionate about economics or art(im not sure if i got your question right) my doubt is between working, and doing something that i like on the side, or working on what i like, and not do other things on the side.

haha maybe as Chris said, its totally easy to do both, and all those problems are in my head,
    oh idk
    im pretty lost as you guys can see

thanks guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2