Sketchbook: Never too old to learn!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Never too old to learn!

I've flagged this thread as NSFW - Nudity because I will very likely be posting some work from my classes which will include nude male and female models in addition to anatomical studies of the human figure and personal work.

This illustration was done in 2005 as my 2D Design final exam project. The theme for the final exam was "duality" and we were supposed to show both our self and things which represent us.

I'm a very big fan of the manga and anime Hellsing by Kouta Hirano. I used to cosplay as Integra and a lot of her behavior and personality traits I see in myself. The background of the primary colors was meant to show how art is a fundamental part of my life, I look at the world through the eyes of an artist. I allowed the red to bleed into the other colors because it's reflective of the themes of Hellsing and it shows how art touches so much of my life.

This was done with ink, acrylic paints, colored pencil and Prismacolor markers on illustration board.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by teutelquessir; January 21st, 2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added image and text.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character Portraits

I've been playing World of Warcraft since 2006 and still love it. The game inspires a lot of my art. This term I have to keep a sketch journal so I decided to do a bunch of character portraits of both my characters and those of friends to give myself a baseline for where my skill currently stands. I'm definitely hoping to improve and I'll very likely do a comparison set of these at the end of the term to see if there are any noticeable changes.

Top row from left to right: Zhalar (human, priest), Fearinal (night elf, druid), Silmiron (highborne aka night elf, mage)

Bottom row from left to right: Zhalar (blood elf, priest), Elias (human, paladin), Talaen (blood elf, paladin)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skull Anatomical Study

Drew this from Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck, page 14.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like that last skull study

6. The Following User Says Thank You to will123will For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Figure Drawing III Class Work

We didn't let our model take a single break during class yesterday!

I quite enjoyed drawing the skeleton. I had no clue what he was holding until the end of class when the professor began breaking down the pose. It was some sort of console game controller. When I first saw the "model" and pose, I immediately thought of the webcomic Romantically Apocalyptic! I might finish this in Photoshop and turn it into a bit of fan art for that webcomic.

I used Pigma Micron pens over Prismacolor Verithin colored pencil in True Blue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That duality painting is awesome! Now, what else do you have to show us?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    will123will Thank you! It's good for me to get back to basics.

FightingSeraph Thank you! I'm very proud of My Duality though I'm sure there are things that could be improved. It's nice to have it there as somewhat of a benchmark for how my skill has grown or changed since then. I'll definitely be updating this thread quite a bit throughout the term with both personal work and class work.

I like doing art when I first wake up. I seem to be at my most creative when I'm half asleep. Another role player on my Alliance server shared a funny story about a PvP encounter and it inspired me to do a little comic about it. Hopefully I've drawn the character as envisioned by the player. I only had the armory model to work from.

MOBICON - Mobile, Alabama's premier science fiction, fantasy, anime, comics, gaming, paranormal, horror and media convention! We are proud to support the Mobile Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, nice start. I especially like the duality picture, I love Hellsing too!!! Mostly obsessed with trying to draw Alucard at the moment though...

Keep practicing the expressions and basic proportions of the head, good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zhalar Expressions Set

Hunin Woo hoo! Nice to meet another Hellsing fan. I have some fan art pieces in my DA gallery. Yes, I'm definitely busy working on expressions!

So I've seen other artists do these things and figured it was long past time for me to do one!

Zhalar is my World of Warcraft RP main for Alliance but I've played the character online and in tabletop RPGs since 1993. He's changed a bit over the years, but is still his same ol' hedonistic loveable self at heart!

Sooo... from the top going left to right down the rows:

Happy (y halo thar! buttsex?) - Scared (onoez!!! teh demonz!! )
    Angry (WTF?? LOL This was the hardest for me to draw!) - Smug/Cryptic
    Sad/Mourning - Contemplative

The top four I used mostly masks and gradients for a more comic book style coloring process. The bottom two I airbrushed and used some masking on the hair. I broadcast the entire process from sketching through completed coloring on my Livestream channel. http://www.livestream.com/teutelquessir The videos are archived there if anyone wants to watch.

MOBICON - Mobile, Alabama's premier science fiction, fantasy, anime, comics, gaming, paranormal, horror and media convention! We are proud to support the Mobile Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wee! Bunches of stuff from the past week and the weekend at Wizard World New Orleans ComicCon!

Two very quick sketches trying to get down the looks of characters. On the left is my paladin Aidan who is described as "Broke-nosed, barrel-chested and balding, he has a pugilist's visage that only a mother could love." There's more, but hopefully that's enough to give the gist of how he should look. And to the right is my character Zhalar as a Blood Elf.

Next is a study of the back of the skull referenced from Peck again.

A side view study of the skull referenced from Peck. I worked on this during Wizard World New Orleans ComicCon and at one point I got up from the table to go do something and someone came by, saw it and wanted to buy it. The other MOBICON staff member who was watching the table at that time said "No! You can't buy that! It's her homework!"

Some eye studies referenced from Burne Hogarth. The assignment was to draw eyes, noses and mouths (haven't got the latter two done yet) via shading (without lines). I have a large graphite stick which I love for this sort of stuff!

Tommy Castillo hosted Drink 'n' Draw at ComicCon and it was awesome! My challenge was to draw The Little Mermaid and Godzilla in a romantic embrace during summer storms. I didn't win but he said it was very cute and it did make him laugh when I handed it in for judging.

Some more studies referenced from Burne Hogarth.

Open figure drawing at school. Our model this evening was a lovely lady of African-American and Japanese descent. Compared to the paintings and other figure drawings I've done in the past year, this is the best likeness of the model I've acheived. I'm very happy with this portrait. She was wearing a shirt but I decided not to include it to emphasize her elegance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a bunch more stuff that I've been working on in my sketchbook. One of these days I need to get some good pictures of my larger works that I'm doing in class along with some of my gesture drawings.

Did some more eye studies referenced from Jack Hamm.

Trying to work out poses and anatomy for a commission of a friend's World of Warcraft character. My art direction is as follows: Sexy female Death Knight who uses her good looks to incite weakness in others though she has no interest in relationships nor sex. Standing in front of or leaning against her grave, smoking a cigarette and with her runeblade stuck in the ground.

Took a look at www.freshdesigner.com and giving the Riley Method a try. Sorta did a hybrid of Jack Hamm and the Riley Method with a few female faces. I'm rather partial to the lower left. No idea how she got beat up, but she looks like she's taking it rather well. I think I'd be worried that she's holding a gun... O_O

Again trying to work out the design for that character commission. The pose is referenced from one of M.J. Ranum's shots on http://www.artsyposes.com website. Lots of great stuff there! I believe I'm going to attempt this commission as an art nouveau piece so I gave it heavy outlines to hint at that style while trying to keep the interior lines a bit lighter.

Inspired by Wheeljack18 I'm going to do the 30 Day Challenge for the Riley Method. Here's a picture of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Referenced from here: http://spyhunter007.com/Images/indiana_jones_wearing_his_hat.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice star! lovely poses and skull studies, keep up the gesture work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So while the commissioner loved the look of the first sketch I sent, he has a different artistic vision about the pose. Specifically, he wants her sitting on or leaning against her memorial (can't really call it a grave since she's undead...) rather than standing in front of it.

Browsed bunches of pin up girls for inspiration and found a photo reference which I like as the base for the pose.

http://www.scavengeinc.com/images/pr...rl-costume.jpg

The lighting is probably off because the photo didn't have good lighting and I tried to pick a direction for the light source.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Holy crap! I've been busy!

Being back in Figure Drawing class was great! I really needed the opportunity to draw from live models. I also supplemented my classes by attending the weekly open drawing night. I'm out of school for the summer but I'll be back in the fall for Painting IV (yet again due to being a Painting major) and Sculpture I. Hopefully I can make open drawing nights too!

So here's a bunch of stuff. All the graphite portraits are characters played by either myself or friends in World of Warcraft. I did them after the term ended. Lastly there is an Art Nouveau style character portrait of my albino Blood Elf Paladin which is heavily influenced by Alphonse Mucha.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.