Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plateau jumper

Thanks

Plateau jumper

My name is Michael Lawler and I'm a 31 year old artist that is studying art to improve both my craft and myself.
    My goal is to sustain my family through art and to reach a level where the ideas I have are realized with as little loss of quality from brain to canvas as possible. I'm open to feedback and anyone is welcome. I only ask that if you think something is off, leave feedback. Best of luck to everyone else in your journeys.

Quick links for anyone who needs help finding a place to start with art:
    Drawsh figure drawing site: link
    Figure & Gesture Drawing Tool: link
    Pose Maniacs: link
    Bumskee's Digital Painting thread: link
    The Mastery Webinar: link

NOTE: All images have been resized so they don't break the forum

This is the last thing I did in 2011:
    Plateau jumper

The image before that is the first digital painting from me in more than a year.. so the values and saturation is completely out of control.

These are my latest studies:
    Plateau jumper

Plateau jumper

From here on out I'll be using the attachment managers.. I didn't in this post because of the need for exact placement within the posting.
    Last edited by 4tonmantis; February 7th, 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added graphic for main page
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Value study

I did this study in the dark with just the little tea light illuminating the skull.
    The main goals were to play with edges a little and push some low-light values so I get a better understanding. The white is blown out I think.. and I don't think I used a dark enough color for my dark tone..

But.. I learned some things.. so I don't feel bad about it looking like poo

Thanks
    Hey mate!

Saw your post on Anatomy Study, things being quiet there... Sad! Things were going good there!

I'm comic book artist too (beginner), this year i'll star my own webcomic... Can we keep in touch, to share some ideas, is that cool?

That F4 draw... Your line reminds me of Romita Jr. Is he an reference or influence to you?

The iguana image... I LOVE IT! Haha... The tones are really cool!

Take care, and keep up, bro!

Cheers from Brazil!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo::Amorim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really like the photo study for the creature so far. Eager to see more work, keep posting

Btw, I try to recommend this video to as many people as possible, it's really helped me with identifying H-S-B when doing photo studies and
    texturing/painting from imagination.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...ight-and-Color

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Smith For This Useful Post:

Thanks

24 1 hour studies

For the G2KCJB Anatomy Study Group I did a series of 24 1 hour studies of various illustrations and photos of the chest. Granted not all of the line work took that long..but I did take extra care to try to match proportions and really absorb what was being demonstrated..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
    Really like the photo study for the creature so far. Eager to see more work, keep posting

Btw, I try to recommend this video to as many people as possible, it's really helped me with identifying H-S-B when doing photo studies and
    texturing/painting from imagination.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...ight-and-Color
    Thanks for the kind words and the link. I own the color theory video and have been doing all kinds of crazy reading and video watching lately. If I'm able I'll buy that one too..though it might be a while since I just got the Mechanic, J. Manley's Composition video, and Cryptcrawler's Hostile Takeover.

Thanks
    Here's a bunch of WiP stuff..an illustration, a movie scene study (comic style), and an early stage study of a volcano..
    Any and all feedback is encouraged

Thanks

Jan 24 Still Life

Did this today.. not particularly thrilled with the result but I learned a thing or two I think...

Thanks
    Great to see these studies from Loomis, they're looking very accurate especially in the linework. Were the photo studies also capped at one hour? Also, for the photos are you showing the entire image or are some of them cropped?

There are a couple things,
    Part of this depends on whether or not the photos are cropped differently than the studies, that being said, some of the Loomis studies also show proportion and angle changes from the original source. If I had a suggestion it would be to skip the linework matching for quick studies, draw through the forms/silhouettes, draw angles for aligning masses, and push harder with the use of the positive and negative spaces. On some of the photo studies try to compare the shape around the figure, within masses, forms, and shadows within forms and the angles the all of shapes make.
    If you did not create linework as a first step, for your next figure studies maybe use Loomis's method of planes/figure in perspective to tackle some of the more foreshortened poses.

Thanks again for dropping by my thread and feedback is definitely wanted.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Smith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great to see these studies from Loomis, they're looking very accurate especially in the linework. Were the photo studies also capped at one hour? Also, for the photos are you showing the entire image or are some of them cropped?

There are a couple things,
    Part of this depends on whether or not the photos are cropped differently than the studies, that being said, some of the Loomis studies also show proportion and angle changes from the original source. If I had a suggestion it would be to skip the linework matching for quick studies, draw through the forms/silhouettes, draw angles for aligning masses, and push harder with the use of the positive and negative spaces. On some of the photo studies try to compare the shape around the figure, within masses, forms, and shadows within forms and the angles the all of shapes make.
    If you did not create linework as a first step, for your next figure studies maybe use Loomis's method of planes/figure in perspective to tackle some of the more foreshortened poses.

Thanks again for dropping by my thread and feedback is definitely wanted.
    Tb0ne, thanks for the feedback! I've done hundreds of fast anatomy sketches from Bridgman/Loomis in pencil.. and sometimes I feel like I miss the point if I'm not doing a more purposeful slow paced study of the lines first. It's almost like the idea of the Japanese Tea Ceremony. Also.. I am working on improving my skills as a comic artist.. so linework is actually part of the study for me.
    On the actual photo studies.. those were all done at maybe twice their current size.. I made a bad choice about putting all of them in one file to streamline the process and it made controlling the brush a nightmare. With the exception of the first and last photo studies they were capped at an hour. Some of them I decided to only focus on key areas and be less literal. The point of the study was chests.. so I tried to start there and stay there. Some of them started with line drawings and some started with silhouettes.. basically I was experimenting with different ways to build up the human form. The best looking ones were definetly started as drawings The woman that's just standing there looking bored .. I couldn't even bring myself to finish.. She's so just "blah" and the values are all so mid-range that I felt like it was more of a problem than a solution.

I'll pop by your sketchbook and have a look at your new works.. again thanks so much for dropping in and having a look!

Thanks
    Today's still life.. did a bunch of other studies but they're all 1 hour each so most didn't get far enough to post..

Thanks
    Looking good, really cool to see paintings from life in photoshop. Gotta try that soon.

A couple of suggestions,
    This isn't my image but..
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_u60sj3eAl0...llipses+1b.jpg
    Right now a few of the ellipses don't feel like true circles. For the bottom edge with the inset arrows, did you draw out an ellipse then cut the insets into it?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Smith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looking good, really cool to see paintings from life in photoshop. Gotta try that soon.

A couple of suggestions,
    This isn't my image but..
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_u60sj3eAl0...llipses+1b.jpg
    Right now a few of the ellipses don't feel like true circles. For the bottom edge with the inset arrows, did you draw out an ellipse then cut the insets into it?
    @Tb0ne, yeah the angles are weird because it's not perfectly cylindrical.. very top one is.. the one that the roller ball thingy sits in.. the next one down (the one with the large bright spot) is actually a weird slope into the area with the finger notches.. that whole area is at an angle. The bottom part I did an elipse and cut in the finger holds.. but I also cut across for the cloth.. I didn't shade the cloth.. which was probably a mistake but I wanted to get done I should have at least hatched in the shaded area though :/

I know what you're saying though about the angles and I do think mine are kinda weird... but that's the point of doing the studies in the first place right? Thanks again for stopping by man, I appreciate the feedback. It really helps

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast