Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm beating cancer (warning, bit graphic)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts

I'm beating cancer (warning, bit graphic)

Hello everyone!

Life has been moving really fast for me these past few months. My full time job went into liquidation and was absorbed by another company. I was let go, so have kind of been forced into purely freelancing lately.
    It's going well, mainly educational work, kids books, environmental awareness stuff. I'm in the process of updating my portfolio with more recreational type art and had just cleared my last commission (had to work through xmas and new years.)

Lately, well I had not been feeling myself. Strange pains and such. I'm a hypochondriac and generally believe I have contracted any disease just by reading about it. So my first thoughts were always the big C. I was told that I was just depressed, (partly true) and not to worry.

To cut to the chase, it is testicular cancer, after some unusual swelling I went to my doc again, who sent me to have an ultrasound on the old meat and potatoes (fun!) the nurse then called the radiologist who didnt like what he saw, I then got sent to the urologist who looked at my ultrasound images and confirmed it, cancer. The images were quite horrific, right one has been almost consumed by a fair sized tumor. This all went down on tuesday.
    But hey, I was told if you get cancer, this particular one comes highly recommended. Very treatable even in late stages. My blood has been taken and they are going to do more CT scans to check for signs of the cancer spreading.

I am going in for surgery on Friday, they are removing my right nut through my abdomen! (They don't cut the scrotum like I thought they would)
    Being a guy, who is a total dork but who enjoys working out and at least looking tough, I was not thrilled at this prospect. But I've been told this won't affect my testosterone levels. But having kids could be an issue. Possibly.

After the surgery, there might be either radiation or chemo, which I truly am terrified of. There's always the chance that hey, maybe this will be the cancer gone and that's what I'm gunning for, but I won't know for sure for a little while yet.

My poor wife has been really strong about it, but she cried a lot when I got the news and was crying some more this morning. Fortunately her law firm said she can stay with me for the next couple of days. Telling my folks was unpleasant.
    Yeah, I don't really post on any boards except this one, I joined a TC support group, but am awaiting account activation. I haven't told any of my friends except my closest pal.
    I just thought given the diverse melting pot of people here and all your experiences, maybe someones even been through cancer or had similar surgery done? I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.
    Past couple of years have been insane, leaving the force, father in law captured in Sudan, my dog died, unemployed, cancer was the only logical next step.

But fuck it, I've been making jokes about it, I'm not actually scared of the cancer itself. I'm more scared of the treatment. As long as I can still draw and create and I have my other half, I'm sorted.
    Last edited by Star Eater; February 24th, 2012 at 03:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    mega best of luck man, let us know how it goes.
    when they stitch you up, can you ask to have an extra prosthetic one so you have 3 balls? that would be awesome.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You know, I only found out today that you actually get prosthetic testes!

This whole thing has gone down so fast, there's so many questions I did not get time to ask. What's really pathetic is that medical stuff makes me feel quite sick and faint, I've been reading articles on the cancer and the surgery, but it's tough for me sometimes. I'm such a wuss.

But knowing me, I also feel if I read -too- much about it and the things that can go wrong, I'll start stressing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    I didn't even know they had prosthetics down there O_o

I know the feeling of reading about medical stuff, my sisters bed ridden and she sits there in bed all day so she can't help but read up and get stressed every now and then.

But yeah, best of luck man. It's good to hear it sounds like a treatable kind

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I was just as surprised believe me. It's nice for me to be able to communicate with you guys. it's 2am at the moment, I'm busy painting. I'm staying up real late tonight so I can get a good nights rest tomorrow, I'm getting more nervous as the time approaches.

We are in the middle of a typical african heatwave and from midnight tomorrow, I am not allowed anymore food or anything to drink. Including water. I can only have stuff again after the surgery. (Hoping they give me a pre-op pill though.)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Damn man good luck, kick its ass.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Damn man good luck, kick its ass.
    Yeah man, that's the attitude I want to take. It's weird, I actually do get these feelings of euphoria sometimes, I think its part of the shock but I dont know.

I just look forward to the time when I can tell other guys who are going through the same thing that they don't need to worry.

One thing I can't stress enough though guys, check your sacks! In all seriousness do it. A lot of the time you think that strange bump is just something you never noticed before. Cancer does not always announce itself loudly and often theres no pain.

My pain started in my hips and not my nads but I felt something was not right, it was swollen but there was no lump as such, just one part felt harder. Because as I said, its mainly just tumor now. Check yourself or even better get your significant other to check you. I hardly drink and I cant remember the last time I smoked. TC can affect you at any age, but is most common it seems in your twenties to forties and it has no qualms about who it chooses it seems.

Thanks
    The most important thing is that you got checked fast and now you are getting treatment! One of the big dangers of cancer is never getting it checked. I wish you all the best!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    The most important thing is that you got checked fast and now you are getting treatment! One of the big dangers of cancer is never getting it checked. I wish you all the best!

I know, I actually feel that I ignored it far longer than I should have. Sometimes I live by the whole ignorance is bliss and what you don't know can't hurt you...but that kind of fails with things like cancer. It just came from a combo of feeling the blues and always imagining that I had been struck by some kind of malady. so I did not want to go running to the doc for every little twinge. I thought I'd be peeing blood or something, but there was none of that.

Rather be safe than sorry, nobody wants to get an ultrasound on their balls or have their junk felt up by strange people (well maybe some folks do, I don't know.) but the alternative is far worse.

The urologist was a bit of a comedian though, he wanted to examine them so I said "Shit man, why not, half the worlds seen it by now" to which he replied "Oh! You should start selling tickets then."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Well.

You just totally trumped the fact I dropped my toothbrush in the toilet this morning.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Well.

You just totally trumped the fact I dropped my toothbrush in the toilet this morning.
    Yeah, it's a real pain in the balls.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kick its arse man, I was diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma a few years back and had a swelling the size of an egg removed from my leg near my scrotum, then did radiation therapy every day for 6 weeks. I also had to freeze some man-fluid just in case I went sterile from the radiation, but luckily they seem to be fine, and I still have little swimmers. My uncle had TC and made a full recovery too. I know all about freaking myself out reading abut things on the net, so my best advice is to get informed and then stop it!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to timpaatkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins View Post
    Kick its arse man, I was diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma a few years back and had a swelling the size of an egg removed from my leg near my scrotum, then did radiation therapy every day for 6 weeks. I also had to freeze some man-fluid just in case I went sterile from the radiation, but luckily they seem to be fine, and I still have little swimmers. My uncle had TC and made a full recovery too. I know all about freaking myself out reading abut things on the net, so my best advice is to get informed and then stop it!
    Wow Tim, lymphoma is something that always scared me. I'm really happy for you! Yes, the sperm freezing is something I just learned about now that all this has gone down. Glad everything is still working as it should. How was your healing process from the surgery if I may ask?

Kudos to your uncle as well. Thanks for that.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast