Art: Some work from my first drawing classes

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some work from my first drawing classes

So I'm gonna be applying to UM's architecture school for this summer. Putting together and working on my portfolio, and I'm just looking for some feedback on the things I've done in my 2 drawing classes I had to take. Haven't done too much drawing before this, and by not too much I mean basically none at all, so I'm sure my stuff won't be nearly as good as some people's here.

For numbers 4, 5, 6 and 7, the assignment was to draw the same still life 4 times to portray different expressions/emotions. If anyone can guess the 4 I went for, this 50 cent piece has your name written all over it.

Questions/comments/concerns appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're applying to an architecture school? I wouldn't include any still lifes in your portfolio then. Needs more architecture stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright. Since you're trying to put together a portfolio and apply to an Architecture program, I'll try to be specific.

First off, you have to take better pictures of your art. Make sure the camera is straight on and you can get a clean crop so there is no background imagery. I can see counter space at the edges in different angles because it is not a clean-rectangular crop, it is very distracting and (as my ol' architecture instructor would put it) sloppy.

If you only have still lifes then include your very best, especially those that demonstrate line control. I would take the 4 different images you have there and combine them into a 4-square design side-by-side so that one can see the difference between them all. You could do this in any image editor (I think it might be possible in Gimp if not Photoshop).

The second still life in the list, and the folded cloth/paper, look completed and suggest an understanding of value. I'm unsure about the color still life as the line work on the floor is something of interest, but the back counter looks off.

If you have more works that you are considering putting in your portfolio, you should post them as well. Good luck~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ErinLein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't all that's going into the portfolio, and not all is necessarily going in. Also, these are just pictures I took to put on here. I'm going to have them scanned for printing on quality paper. I'm using Adobe InDesign to design the portfolio.

As for the color still life, I agree, the counter is rather weak. I won't include my excuses.

And yes, that is what I plan on doing with the 4 images.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbyrd117 View Post
    You're applying to an architecture school? I wouldn't include any still lifes in your portfolio then. Needs more architecture stuff.
    They're not looking for anything specifically architecture related. They're just looking for the ability to communicate visually, problem solve and think creatively. With some stuff I'm going to be working on in the next month and a half (Portfolio deadline is March 10th), I think I'll have a pretty strong portfolio.

Thanks for the input! Want more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that the cloth and the colored still life are your strongest pieces here. Some of the other still lives, especially the first one and the pencil drawing of the head and the barrel show an oversimplification of value. The coffee cup is round, yet you have only three grays there with sharp breaks between them instead of smooth value transitions. At first, I think this might be a product of having graphite pencils of different values – if you use the same pressure with each one, you'll get a step-wise progression of values. I find it useful to try to draw an entire image with just one pencil for practice getting a smoother range of values (I prefer using just one or two mechanical pencils for drawing, although I don't necessarily suggest moving away from art pencils). Also, make sure that your marks follow the contours of the objects that you're drawing. Otherwise, they flatten the image. A prime example here is the pencil barrel and head drawing. It looks almost like a graphite collage instead of a still life, especially since the shading seems to exist only around the edges. I wouldn't include this one in your portfolio, and if you can do pieces like the fruit still life, I'd include some more like that and take out the series with the barrel all together, especially since the proportions are different in each one and suggest that you've made some measurement errors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback. I was worried no one else would respond. ;(

I don't disagree with anything you say. With the graphite head drawing, an over simplification of value was kind of the point. Like I said in my first post, the assignment was to draw the same still life 4 different ways that evokes different emotions. I was kind of going for an apathy emotion, almost like the objects are blowing away to dust or something.

And, again while I don't think you're wrong, given that this is for an architecture school and not a fine art program, I don't think the differences in proportion is too much of a turn off, whereas it would be in a fine art program. Let me know whether you agree/disagree. I suppose I could leave out the graphite one and just include the other 3. It might actually make an interesting juxtaposition

And with the coffee cup of 3 values, did you mean my first pace, with the eggs? I actually thought that was pretty good shading. That's coming from a non-artist, though.

Again, thanks for the feedback/advice. And this isn't me trying to be defensive or anything, just discussing what would be the best portfolio for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.