Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Thanks
    Some horse studies in pen, trying to get the proportions right, am I going about this in the right way though? Also a figure study in pencil.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Basically, the problem I am having in constructive drawing though is when you foreshorten say the front plane or side plane I tend to mess up proportions or lose track of placement of features etc, any advice?

Thanks
    try practicing these exercises:

nice studies btw. Some nice improvement from first page.

Thanks
    Sketching simplistic objects from life and trying to understand the entire form, do you guys think this is a good thing to practice?
    Absolutly! This is really the foundation of drawing in general. Though initially, I think it's important to do studies like this using the horizon line- and long handed perspective techniques. I wish I could go back and tell myself this, because it really forces you to focus on good solid construction, instead of eye-balling it.

Basically, the problem I am having in constructive drawing though is when you foreshorten say the front plane or side plane I tend to mess up proportions or lose track of placement of features etc, any advice?
    Doing perspective long-hand will help you with these issues. By using vanishing points and construction you can measure how long something is, or compare different pieces of the drawing.
    Below I've done a sketch (I hope it's more helpful than confusing)

This is how you can figure out spacing with perspective.
    A - if you start with a box you can find the center of each face, by drawning an X from corner to corner. This is true no matter what direction the box is turned.
    B. using that new found center- you can draw line following the perspective to give yourself a line through the center of the box.
    C. If you draw a straight line from one of the top corners through the center, until it meets the outside line- this is where your next box would be.

This is a great technique to learn- because you can measure distances. If you know the horses' nose is the same length as the head- you can use this method to figure out where the front of the nose will be.

Your initial practice sessions will be incredibly messy- but if you take the time to learn it well you will start to be able to do it in your head- and you wont need all the guide lines.

Saurabhinator linked a really fun tutorial - the only criticism I have is the artist doesn't use any construction lines - and it's obvious that he has a solid foundation in perspective already.

So far your making great progress, just keep digging up new ways to explore the fundamentals and challenge yourself

happy sketching

Thanks
    saurabhinator- Hey, thx a lot for the vid, was very informative thx .

Rhubix- Wow, really appreciated how in depth you went and really took the time out for that comment, means a lot. Funny thing is, I've been doing lots of perspective and form studying today, and the x to find the centre of the square and then use to find the equal distance trick I actually already knew but your tips were really helpful and I will practice them .

Ok, so heres some perspective and form stuff, I think I need to solely practive structured stuff for now as I feel quite familiar with the fundamentals, however when I draw organic forms all of this tends to go out the window lol, leaving me confused with what I'm doing lol. Oh and I can't believe I'm on page 8 :0.

Thanks
    Been slacking today . Still finding it hard to imagine full 3d objects from pictures, are 3/4 views (side and top) best options for this, or should I have several pictures of the same object from different views, bit confused?

Thanks
    Update

Thanks
    Update- totally got the idea for this off of sickbrush's stream. just messing around with projection and textures and it's not finished obviously. Will be uploading more perspective stuff too .

Thanks
    Perspective drawing i've been working on and a crappy portrait

Thanks
    self portrait sketch

Thanks
    3d model I've been working on in maya

Thanks
    good practicing man, do more studies and life work and just keep at it!

Thanks
    Kevin_- Thx man, will definitely be piling up studies and life drawings soon too

Practicing more organic stuff in zbrush, my goal right now is to kind of bridge the gap between structured and organic objects. Obviously I need to do more head studies lol but just trying to understand how to go about how to study organic.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1