Art: first time poster

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: first time poster

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

first time poster

mildred was my second attempt at using photoshop to create a character concept. it had to be done in a hurry [for a group project at uni], so i tried making a 2-d maquette of body parts assembled from supermodels until i got roughly the stance i wanted, then i airbrushed over the jumble to get the curves right. notice the perfect side - view of the pistol. that's intentional, of course - not becasue i can't replicate perspective worth a damn..........

but why is the mauser-esque pistol so big? i makebelieve i hear you ask, well it's becasue she's an ex circus contortionist, who tired of playing the legs in the 'saw the woman in half trick' [due to her diminutive stature] and turned to a life of crime. oh, and she's supposed to be set the 1930's. [hence wardrobe]

i'll be doing a couple of posts with other pieces i have, crits will be appreciated !!

although, after just spending 15 minutes writing this, i've just found that i'm not allowed to post an image. what gives?

Last edited by matt olson; May 17th, 2004 at 05:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you need your own webspace..... www.photobucket.com is free and it allows remote linking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man - will do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

finally

thanks to Zero Wave -

here she is.[IMG]first time poster[/IMG]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa, the process for creating this sounds interesting. So this started as a cut and paste collage that you just painted over in ps? I'd have never thought of that (if indeed, I am right, which I very well may not be).
    you mentioned the perspective on the gun, so it's hard to crit that when you beat us to it (it's hardly terrible, though). I don't know how I feel about the cast shadow. is she standing right in front of a wall (or ledge)? Also not so sure about the shadow on the top of the hat. Maybe if it wasn't quite so symmetrical.
    Otherwise, it's good stuff. I hope your group appreciated it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

indeed

yeah - basically,

becasue i've never tried to do direct - mimicry of the human form, and also the time period allowed, i needed to apply a bit of lateral thinking [a challenge on its own where i'm concerned]. after having a bash with a blank canvas, and producing a semi - ok-ish [semiokish? >saved for future use<] rough line drawing, i left it an hour, came back to it and just didnt like it at all.

i used pics of about 3 different women - like you say, a cut and paste collage to get a sense of weight, then sketched over them, then worked to the resulting sketch really.

about the 'background' such as it is, it really wasn't thought about at all, i just felt i had to put something in to ground the figure a little, so i spose it's an attempt at a kind of non figurative mechanism rather than a depiction of anything - but it's something i lack awareness of / need to pay attention to more also.

the hat - yeah - totally right on that one, it's like ive taken it and boosted the contrast for some reason or something - but yes - well said.

the group rejected it and they went with someone elses ! i bit my fist a little, but it was a valuable learning experience at the least. if nothing else, it's made me want to do stuff like this without 'cheating'

the first thing i ever tried was done without reference, but then, that was your atypical big fat spidery monster, and that was in black and white also. i'll post it at some point.

thanks for the comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    she sure is smiley!
    look at that smile.
    smile.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.