Sketchbook: Amber's sketchbook - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realized I don't draw too often from my imagination. Really got to change that, especially since I don't want to always rely on references. I started practicing a less scribbly way to do gestures. I think it looks soo much better. I just need to work on my line quality a bit more. I probably need to work on longer studies as well so that I can get better at shading.

The first drawing is from imagination and the second from a photo.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Amber Marie; July 12th, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a bit lazy lately. Got to keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updating this thing finally. So much for posting every other day haha. The summer is almost over and school starts in one week for me. I definitely did not make good use of my free time over the past few months, but compared to other lazy summers, I did make some progress. I'm going to be taking a class on the human figure and a painting class this semester. I will be working my butt off to see some improvement by the end of the school year. Maybe by that time I will be good enough to start doing commissions. Wish me luck

The first is a WIP master copy of a Sargent painting link. The rest are stuff from pixelovely's gesture drawing tool and from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, it's been a while. Things have just been so hectic with school, so I haven't had much time to update. I'm taking a painting class and a human figure class this semester, so I'll have plenty to show from that. I have quite a few things to upload, but I'll try to limit them to the more "quality" stuff I guess. I'll upload the rest tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can see the improvement from the first post to the last .... the gesture drawings figure studies faces everything is looking good in the latest posts keep up the good work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those first two gesture drawings from your last post are very nice, the fluid, thick strokes you used to describe the figure look good. Try also experimenting with line weight, and for your portraits, try expanding the range of values you're using, instead of light shading, try showing the full range of values, darkest and lightest! But you are doing great, keep working! And experimenting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I really love your portraits, they are very nice, mostly the eyes, they are so living. Your lines are pure and delicate, the colours and tones are gentle. I like your fast sketches too, they are very interesting, they have stories of your personality. Keep drawing!

PS.: Don't write UGLY to your drawings! It is so negative, and not true!

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Amber! Thanks for dropping by in my sketchbook and thank you for your lovely and inspiring comment.
    What a lovely sketchbook you have here, why no more updates? I think you are in a right track and your portraits are already showing a huge improvement from the beginning of this sketchbook. I think the most important step that I have taken so far during my art journey is when I actually learned how to learn. People kept saying me to do more stuff from imagination but I think only now I've actually realized how important it is. And it is important to apply those things that you have been learning. For example I'm studying muscles now and I've found it really helpful to do them from memory and imagination afterwards. Only now that I started doing it I've started to really learn them, because that is the way you save them in your memory. Sometimes you need to study, draw from memory, study and repeat it many times more before you understand and remember them but you will eventually and it is really rewarding. Also remember that you won't have motivation to draw every day, sometimes you really need to force yourself to do something even if you really don't feel like it. But even if you draw 30 mins in a day it is better than nothing. And every small step will take you closer to your dream. So just draw draw draw, study from art books, do them from memory and imagination, even when you don't feel like it. Also remember constantly to ask yourself what is working in your drawings and what is not. If you do study, ask yourself afterwards did you learn the thing you were studying? If not, study it more! If you don't understand where some muscle attaches, find it out! Eventually you notice that the things start staying in your memory and it will make you want to push even harder and harder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1