Physical damage prevention
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Physical damage prevention

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Physical damage prevention

I have within this year witnessed 2 fires.
    First was 20 min past midnight new year's eve where a roof nearby caught fire.

Last one was 2 nights ago (sat-sun) where our own building had a fire!
    Nobody was severely hurt fortunately (just concerns about smoke poisoning), but there are several apartments with smoke damage to the point that it's still uncertain if they at all have returned yet, even if it was only a small fire in that one apartment! ...not even black smoke, white smoke! Still several apartments are in for total renovation...

Because this was my first "fire experience" I had no idea that smoke itself could cause so much damage, and even if stuff doesn't burn they might get water-damaged if the fire is close to it.
    I mean, we were fortunate to live in the furthest end of the building, the fire was on the floor above us in the middle and the smoke went in the opposite direction, we were even let in a few hours later.

Smoke damage to walls and furniture etc. is one thing.
    And I'm like... What if it had gone this way, what if it does next time!? Even though my art is not even close to great, and I certainly don't even have much yet at all, I still just can't get out of my mind how paper and canvas and colors would respond to a huge load of fire-smoke! My "art", journals, handwritten short stories, books, photos of pets I once had... ALL paper and irreplaceable, and I value a lot of it even if it's crap!

Right now I am about getting to where I want a huge fire, air, and water proof safe deposit box!
    How do you people do it!? Like, insurance can't really bring back your awesome sketchbooks and drawings and paintings I have seen being posted here.

I'm like a major nerve wreck!
    WHEN I MADE A NEW YEAR'S WISH OF 2012 BEING AN EPIC YEAR THIS WAS NOT WHAT I MEANT DAMMIT!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    Right now I am about getting to where I want a huge fire, air, and water proof safe deposit box!
    The internet? I mean honestly scanning the stuff and putting it to somewhere in the web (Megaupload, places like that) is probably the only doable way of ever preventing any physical harm.

Can't say I know too much about these things, but might heat be a problem too? I can't think that sudden extreme temperatures inside a box would do good to paintings or paper, especially if the box itself heats up. Not to mention, from 20 years from now you'll have a LOT more "irreplaceable" things (quotes because I'm sure you'll have lots of stuff you thought to be super important and irreplaceable but have already forgotten) and keeping them in some box where they're super safe but you can't get them is kinda counterproductive. Like, pet photos you can't look because they're locked in some vault in case of a fire (because if you're worried about fire etc disaster you would have to keep them there always, you can't rely that you can keep them open and throw stuff to the vault when your apartment is on fire.)

And if you are afraid of fire, I'd rather put more effort into making sure you have several escape routes so that YOU/your family/pets can get away safely, instead of worrying that your books might burn. You don't want your gravestone to read "died in fire she couldn't escape, but at least we have her books and pet photos".

Last edited by TinyBird; January 17th, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I lost everything I did till about 25 years old in a flood.
    I didn't have a ton, because I wasn't seriously doing art, but still it was a loss of couple sizable folders.

Photograph and scan everything, so you have digital backup. Obviously, I didn't do that with mine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawings, stories, and paintings can be scanned and put on the internet were they will be safe forever and ever because the interwebs never forgets. Photos can be given to various friends and family. I have baby pictures scattered across 3 states. So those of you on the East coast should take solace that should a disaster hit my parents, you will all know what I looked like at 3 months =D. Any thing you don't want to loose, back it up. Also helps if a sketchbook mysteriously disappears. Just don't die over it.

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I scan everything I want to keep and if I can I have offsite backup. All my photos are backed up on Flickr, my comics on an external drive, and I'm probably going to get a big Dropbox account one of these years.

I don't worry about it too much though, because most of it is crap done on non-archival materials and not worth saving. You can't get attached to every sketch you scribble on the back of an envelope. As long as I'm still alive I'll probably come out with even better, more creative work next year.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I imagine one way to protect against flood damage could be to seal your old sketchbooks with a FoodSaver.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to George guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Can't say I know too much about these things, but might heat be a problem too? I can't think that sudden extreme temperatures inside a box would do good to paintings or paper, especially if the box itself heats up.
    Safe deposit boxes are engineered with this in mind. They're insulated enough to survive for a while at house-fire level temperatures.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Conniekat8: I'm sorry you have experienced that kind of loss
    I hope you won't ever experience something like that again!

@ Everyone: Thanks for your advice and video, of course I should at least scan it! *duh* I know, all logic and practical thinking obviously went away in the shock of realizing it could have ended worse than it did.

And it's also nice to know that you are confident that you will just make something better in the future, I should try and adapt that kind of mindset :p

Guess I kind of panicked, but now I feel better, so after reading your replies I think I'll just appreciate that we were lucky this time, and take some precautions for a possible next time. -And of course save myself and my partner as the first thing!
    Thanks guys

Members who have read this thread: 1