critique needed to see if there's any improvement can be done
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

critique needed to see if there's any improvement can be done

hi, i have been weak in mecha design, and tried many many of them, but recently i have sketched out one mecha design based on japanese samurai, but for this current work, i am almost satisfied so far, but i know there's a lot of talented contributor around that is supergood in this, maybe i could get some help from. do critique and comment if there's anything wrong, or it looked alil bit too organic rather than a robot. thanks in advance.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Generous support needed from the creative community to read, to follow, to critic, to contribute on the content. find out more at www.qswitchdesign.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,620 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Way too many scribbly lines everywhere, I can't tell what's supposed to be what. Try doing your designs in more static poses (as in, just standing) instead of epic cool karate poses, if your point is to practice design.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Man,

With all the black there is no realy definition of arms, legs, torso, and It took a second to find the head. If there is anything I would work on it is softening up your lines. There is a line tutorial on this site. something about dark and fat in front and light and slim in the back. Your design has no depth. When you scrunch your eyes and look at the image, the shape does not take that of a person. Or to help denote body parts, add a touch of grey to help identify what's what.

But hey, i'm not expert...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir_E_Pent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    like Pent said, theres no real depth. youve definately jumped several guns here. i would go get some references for the pose from artsyposes or http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php. then rough out the pose in simple shapes, cylinders for upper and lower arms and legs, spheres for joints including sholders. boxes for the pelvis and ribcage, and triangles for feet. also draw through the form to work out the anatomy. you can always complicate things after thats established.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeap thanks guys, i will look into all the comment and try to improve based on the comment given. thanks.

Generous support needed from the creative community to read, to follow, to critic, to contribute on the content. find out more at www.qswitchdesign.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

front view

hi this is a quick work on the front view of the mecha which i have done, has been feel in colour for clearer view.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd suggest you stop trying to sketch robots with a computer and instead sketch boxes and cylinders in pencil on paper. Learn to build formal perspective, too. It'd do wonders to your line quality and awareness of form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    I'd suggest you stop trying to sketch robots with a computer and instead sketch boxes and cylinders in pencil on paper. Learn to build formal perspective, too. It'd do wonders to your line quality and awareness of form.
    noted!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the view. and i find it very constructive, and i could conclude, i am really not good in mecha sketching yet. therefore, i will try to sharpen my skills and try again in near future. for the moment, i hope somebody could teach me to delete this thread, i have tried but failed to do so, i don't wish to flood the forum with a dead thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just dont post any more and it'll soon disappear. (this post isnt helping.) or you could just fill this thread with studies and observed studies of machines? either way good luck.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.