Thanks

The Anime/manga Buzz!

i have recently found on this forum things like people saying they hate manga or anime for some opinions and ideas they say about it. i like anime/manga alot for how fun it is to watch or read. also most anime and manga have excellent stories and i am not refering to the shitty DragonBall series, i'm talking about hellsing, trigun, excel saga, rahxephon, evangelion, escaflowne, Naruto, shaman king, one piece, GTO, Initial D and etc. the list actually endless. but what i have told you are mostly my favorite shows and books. i kinda dislike the fact that some of you are like "anime is so stupid", or "anime-whatever is for kids"....it actually isn't a kids thing to watch or read. they can be very gory or have swearing and nudity. also i personally hate disney for it's godamn musicals and insane amount of romance. also the style is just too dumb looking to me. i just think Disney is retarded, i regret going to disney world when i was little. i'd rather go to universal studios...which i never got to visit. so i respect anime strongly and will always watch and read it. i wonder if all you anime/manga haters will reply to this? if so please....curse me as you wish. i still like manga/anime!
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    what's the point of this topic? You bash people for insulting anime, yet feel it is right to insult disney? You're just as wrong as the people who talk shit about anime. So therefore, you have no point, and come off appearing really close-minded. Take that as an insult, I don't care. Fighting on the internet is one of the most pathetic things somebody can do, I'm just stating facts from what you've posted.

I personally don't care much for anime, in general. Probably TRIGUN was the only one that actually interested me, but not enough to watch the entire series. I don't consider myself a fan of anime or manga, but I'm not going to insult those who like it, it's their choice. So if you wish to share your opinions and views, have the courtesy to respect others.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    just because you throw some swearing, nudity, and gore into a cartoon (making it "adult") doesn't make it good. The reasons anime is so successful is because it doesn't have any competition. If some american companies tried thier hand at mature cartoons (I mean, really mature, not dick and fart jokes) I'd be willing to bet we'd blow almost all anime out of the water...

Thanks
    Yeah america can do everything better than anyone :boring:
    Life is study

Thanks
    History suggests that we can...more or less...

Thanks

IM TELLING YOU FOR THE LAST TIME

I think its rather foolish to think of something as broad as an entire genre/style/medium as better or worse than any other. There are excellent highly artistic/intellectual/entertaining etc etc anime and manga (two completely different thinga again in any case) just as there are plenty of horrible/puerile/not good etc etc anime and/or manga. Just as with any other thing you can think of. Theres bad 'Disney' movies and good 'Disney' movies. Theres also bad american tv shows, good american tv shows, bad american comics, good american comics, and so on and so forth, for anything. Saying all anime and manga are bad is like saying all comedy movies are bad. Or all airplanes are bad. OR ANYTHING! SO GIVE IT UP ALREADY! ITS A LOGICAL FALLACY! ALL GENERALIZATIONS ARE FALSE!
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    amen brother

Thanks
    Nimrod...you got a point...i relized something now. anyway thanks guys. now i feel that anime and manga isn't good or "the best" all the time just like disney...i like some of the new disney films like atlantis, treasure planet, and Lilo and stitch...those were good...i only didn't like the old ones. yeah there is good and bad in every thing....anyway i apologize for posting this thread....everyone has different opinions and likes and dislikes.

Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    You shouldnt feel bad for having an opinion or posting that opinion. I'm glad that you see my point however.

Thanks
    an angel just got his wings.

Thanks
    The old disney films are where its at! My generation grew up in Disney's prime, thats a big hunk of our culture right there.

Thanks
    Lion King is where it's at!

Anywho, people who say "I don't like anime", and I would be one of those (now now, wait, put that sledgehammer down! Erp!), are referring to the anime they have seen. People always tell me, "But wait, you've only seen crap, so-and-so is great, etc etc", and they can say that, and show me stuff, but that doesn't mean I will like it. I'm sure there are some good stories and plots and stuff, but in general I don't like the STYLE. I don't like the way people tend to look all the same, with the teeny weeny noses and big, shiny eyes. I don't like how a the male characters are often all pouty and brooding (ahem, Cowboy Bebop), and the women strike impossible poses (ahem, Sailor Moon). I have seen one I thought was good, Grave of the Fireflies because I watched it in history class. However, I cannot stand manga in any form I've seen. So although generalizations may suck, sorry guys, I do not like what I have seen.

Thanks
    I've attempted to read a lot of anime, and I never really understood what all the buzz was about. Instead of listing out exactly what anime I've read, I'm just gonna say that I hate anime.

I'm sure that there's some good stuff out there, but it's been so hateable ever since it became a huge fad. That's what I believe it is--a huge fad. Like Pokemon and yoyos It's as if certain cliques have decided to promote anime and it's become somewhat of an exclusive thing, and I just don't like stuff like that. Also, I find that most of the people that I've met who like anime are absolutely crazy about it and fill up their profiles/websites/sketchbooks/etc. with it. It's become such a huge deal, and that just turns me off.

Anyways, I have a hard time putting this sort of stuff into words, but there's my opinion.

Also, slapping on gore, swearing, and nudity doesn't make it mature. Maybe I'm just a bit conservative, but I think that excessive swearing and gore and nudity is just kind of immature.

Read what you will and don't let us anime-haters bother you, man. :chug:

And it's all about Lion King. That movie creeped the barnacles outta me.

Thanks

yup :)

I agree with everyone. Aren't i so neutral?

Ok, really though, i'm in the middle. I like anime forthe plots and epic story lines. Which i really dislike the style. As for american stuff...well....most of the good stuff is gone. But my favorite 2 cartoons are Hell Sing and Family Guy, so i like them both.

Thanks
    Funny... the negative points some of you made about anime are exactly those that I dislike about american comics and cartoons. Like how some many characters look like one another etc.. And adding nudity in anime was never an aim to make them more mature, but simply fan-service. Everyone in Japan and pretty much the east knows that. Even the manga/anime creators call those scenes fan-services It's weird the westerners thought that it's meant to make the shows more "mature"?? As for swearing and gore, don't some hollywood movies contain much more of those?
    ...+1 exp

Thanks
    old disney for life :rock:
    Ham, pigs, tongues, sides of beef seen in the butcher’s window, all that death, I find it very beautiful. And it’s all for sale—how unbelievably surrealistic!

Thanks
    i think the anti anime vibe your getting is because often new artist drive straight in drawing only anime (im guilty here too) and ignore evrything else. its important to have a stlye of your own, but its even more important to know the traditional techingues as well to become more rounded as an artist
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Interesting comments in this thread. Most anime/manga is the same ol same ol. Many look exactly the same and have similar stories. And in many, the style is extrememly simple as well as the animation. But their are a few that have unique look with unique stories and great animation. Disney and American comics are the same way. Many have the same ol stories, same ol style, same ol types of characters, same types of animations, etc. But their are a few that are great, have unique look, etc etc. If you hate all anime, manga, you probably submitted to all the dumb anime and allowed it to turn you off and kill any hope for giving good anime a chance, and the same goes for anyone who hates any Disney and America comics. Sometimes generalizations are true, there is a big chunk of anime and manga that sucks, same goes for America comics and some Animated cartoons. In fact, I haven't seen a good anime or manga, or America comic in a long time. The last good Disney movie I saw was Stitch.

The same could be said about many novels and written story books. Like for example, most Fantasy novels, even the front cover design, are mostly all the same, for the most part, it's all different versions of Lord Of The Rings with different names. Lame. But some are unique and good.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    I don't like the STYLE. I don't like the way people tend to look all the same, with the teeny weeny noses and big, shiny eyes. I don't like how a the male characters are often all pouty and brooding (ahem, Cowboy Bebop), and the women strike impossible poses (ahem, Sailor Moon).
    Nah, big big generalization. Most popular manga looks like that, but there's also lots of other manga that does not. It's just that manga is mostly seen as kid's stuff and kid's manga has big eyes, small mouth.

Quickly scanned a page of one of my mangas. No pouty, brooding boys and impossible poses there: go here

And, yah, I've read the refer-to-anime-they've-seen-part. But just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't there or that you can claim it isn't there ;-)

Thanks
    Anywho, people who say "I don't like anime", and I would be one of those (now now, wait, put that sledgehammer down! Erp!), are referring to the anime they have seen. People always tell me, "But wait, you've only seen crap, so-and-so is great, etc etc", and they can say that, and show me stuff, but that doesn't mean I will like it.
    You're right; they are generalizations. Of what I've seen. This is what people tend to say to me... "you can't say you don't like everything, you've not seen everything, etc". Of course I haven't seen everything, I'm just not interested enough to sift through it all to find a gem. The thing you gave me seems to have downplayed that typical style, but I can't say I like it because I don't know what's doing on, and I haven't seen more than one panel. And that kid looks kind of typical of the style to my untrained eye.

As far as the comments about American comics, I agree with those, too. I don't like those books that say "how to draw comic book art" and have spandex-clad women that are all shiny and that's about it. But not all, not even most, comics are like that. Some of you might say that about anime, but overall the style of anime turns me off to it immensely.

The moral of the story is, you can try to show me stuff and I will have an open mind, but I'm not going to spend all of this effort looking myself for that one exception.

Thanks
    Everyone go rent MEMORIES

Thanks
    To some : how do you have read anime? It's the term for cartoon... So erhm.
    Well, sailor moon, dragon ball, cowboy bebop are big consumer item. No more, no less. They are done in studio pretty fast(A manga could be done in a month some time... so quality, uh uh uh, same for anime).
    Lot of american cartoon and comics are as bad as their japan counterpart. If you want to know better manga and anime, you got to dig the subject a bit... and it can be hard. The same for nearly all culture(french and belgian comics, french movie, korean movie...). It took a long time to understand how thing work, to appreciate them and then to find thing you like. Just don't judge anime and manga with sailor moon and those silly child anime

Thanks
    Orban thanks for posting what you have to say about anime and manga "just don't judge anime by all those child anime" that was a good thing to say.... I was furious when Disney went to japan and pimped out Studio Gibli and bought the whole franchise and studio. that really pissed me off, that's one thing i don't like about disney...they keep buying people and places...like microsoft for example the bought one of my favorite game developer..."RARE" they made perfect dark which was a really cool game....and another thing about anime the nudity and all is just fan service it is a thing that they use alot in japan or in china, they use it in advertisments, books, comercials....they even use some erotic slogans sometimes...just to get the people to buy a certain product...especially the men. Not all anime has a visual style like Yu-Gi-Oh(i fucking hate that anime or the manga..so damn stupid and a rip off of wizard card games) you know big eyes, tiny nose, insane hair-styles....if you've seen GTO? that anime is more realistic looking....or Ghost in the shell....you guys are pretty much talking about stupid DBZ, pokemon, medabots, digimon, and all of those stupid anime shows. i only watch naruto, gto, FLCL,...you know the more mature and cool anime titles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Regardless of what anyone says about specific examples which should be considered good, people here have a right to say that a certain style of art doesn't appeal to them. It's no crime and we're not calling anyone who may like them stupid for liking them. I for one don't care for anime or American comics. I'm not undermining the craftsmanship and hard work that goes into them (in most cases) but it's my right to not like them. I could go on forever with my reasons but I won't. They shouldn't concern you. This whole debate on whether or not it's good or bad is doomed to go nowhere, especially when it basically all comes down to a clash of oppinion. If some here likes it and wants to make it, that's there business and if they're going to be detered just because someone else doesn't like it, then what kind of artist are they in the first place? Likewise if someone who doesn't appreciate it expects everyone to just wise up and stop making them and stick to preapproved styles from then on, where's the art in that?

Thanks
    stop teh haet

i dun care that much for anime and the such, some of its crap, some of its pretty good though, saw princess mononoke and such, oh and the new apple seed looks amazing, its part 3d though so im not sure if it counts

OLD disney movies are teh shit. The newest ones look pretty cool to,( i believe the incredibles is disney)
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    well i get the feeling the same things are b eeing repeated over and over..

Can't we just let people like whatever they want? i don't care if my friends don't like anime. I don't care if they do. what matters is what I like, right? We all have different tastes.. Would you tell your friend that doesn't like pizza (if there was one like that) that he has to taste all the pizzas before he can say that he hates pizza? I wouldn't i would just eat something else with him instead.. you get my point.
    I do tend to say lots of stupid and obvious stuff, don't I?

Thanks
    That's right Vimmzy stick it to the man. Better than arguing over who's right or who's wrong...everything is about personal taste and opinion. Why waste your energy trying to convince another person your likes and dislikes and forcing them to take on your ideals....well with this post closed, because everything has probably been said 20 times, but in different sentences, how bout going back to the drawing table.....:cool:
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    C453 CL053D...