Sketchbook: Vielmond's Sketchbook (Nov 25) - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well hey, give me a day or two and I'll draw up some diagrams. You're a great artist, so take whatever you consider valid from what I'm saying. I'm still learning as well, but I'll offer as much as I can to help you improve on those things :] I'm pretty comfortable with hands (even though my sketchbook is mostly portraits right now, haha) and using line to emphasize depth and overlapping, so I'll focus on those things in my posts.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! *__*

Some time in my life I almost dominated hands. But I've always sucked on the other things I mentioned. And no hurry, I want to finish with the environments introduction, besides my work and a project I've taken now. So... snail. xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I'll post something in-depth about hands when I get a chance. Feel free to show us what you're working on, though! :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blindshot, finally your critique appeared! <3

I'm going to quote it since some time and posts passed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by blindshot View Post
    I think where the textures don't work quite as well are throughout the skin.
    Yeah, I know I have to take easier and plan where throw texture better. Do you know the reason I've done this anyway?

I want to test if texture effects can emulate freckles well. I often get haunted by illustrations I'm willing to do in the future or characters I've not had enough yet. I'm also bored of doing too polished skins.

I think you could spruce up the line work in the second image and have a very solid painting. In particular I think a darkened line below the chin and some stronger lines surrounding the hand would give a stronger sense of depth. The hands seem to be painted a bit shyly. (...)
    This one was from refs. Actually there is a version without all the caracterization: http://vielmond.deviantart.com/art/Doodle-2-278527731
    But yeah, I ran from detailing it more when finished with the dreadlocks (these where from imagination if I remember well). *guilty*

The third image. Again, this is great for a sketch. If you threw developed the tail a little more I'd love to comment on it. I love how you handled the fur in the face, though.
    I've developed it a little more, but didn't go too far. Tried to plan the colors and checked the reference, what I didn't before starting. It's a fanart idea I've dropped in the past. The last time I saw the trailer was one year ago. I'm not sure if you saw it already:

trico.jpg

I need to do studies of the creature's body before proceeding, because at this point everything else depends upon his positon.

In the fourth image you're displaying a strength for creating a mood again. You seem to have a penchant for facial expressions.
    Mood? Nah, in the past I felt my illustrations where so dull, cheesy and stiff. I'm trying to gtfo this now. And yeah, bad hands again, i didn't planned to draw then beforehand. She's even missing a shoulder, hahaha. I tried to draw a frontal face - I have serious trouble with them, I'm going to explain later in other post - slightly turned up. Then, see how to plan strands of hair. And who knows, give her a peaceful or even high appearance without giving her a null expression.

I'm planning to literally create a sketchbook, you know, a traditional paper one, and I was looking for some patterns I've collected and done to do it's cover when I found something else.

These are from October, I dropped it pissed off and decided to restart from scratch later, because I kept changing my mind and didn't knew really what I was going to draw. From the start all I wanted was to do more greenish or cooler skin higlights. If I don't watch myself I always go for red/yellow combo.

Face 01 - that's a hella big head lol

bree_face.jpg

Decided to add a body and later dress her to train clothing folding. Still big headed, and these hands have wrong sizes. Tried to find the correct face and finally got pissed off.

bree_full.jpg

Sketch of her husband face, lol at his too close eyes and narrow forehead.

ryuad_face.jpg

So, yes, one of my worst problems is that I don't have imagination and I don't like to plan. I can't see what I'm going to draw beforehand, I only know I want X and Y elements on it and try, and skip steps and go all chaotic.

P.s.: She, the one-winged character, the blue haired one and the high one from the sketch are different versions from the same character. Just in case you find them familiar. ;x

Last edited by Vielmond; January 21st, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your characters, style and colour as well. Sorry I have no crits. :p Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww I love it when hair or a dress just merges with the background, since they're the same colour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your faces, especially the girls, are really great. Lots of personality there. The costumes are also really creative. In some of your pieces, such as the girl with the white hair and angel wings, the character doesn't quite gel with the background. The background could probably use more development or atmospheric perspective. Other than that great.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ccs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautyfull works, don't know what else to say
    Any chance to see some more?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your work! You have a good range of style and it looks like you pay a lot of attention to your mark making. Keep pushing!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really loving your colours! Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! I know you are hoping of helpful critiques, but I'm to stunned at the moment.
    Your drawings/paintings are amazing. Love them all *.*
    I come back later, when I can think again and go searching for errors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the female figure studies and shadow transitions:

Turn the pen pressure on. Turn the sensitivity on hard, which means you have to press harder to make a solid dark stroke. Take the soft round brush. Keep the flow at 25-30% and Opacity at 10% for a big brush size for broad areas similar in tone, and at 25-50% for smaller areas with smaller areas . There is no exact rule for that, as it depends completely on your feeling and pressure. You will have to try and fail until you get it.

Now, if you have a rough shadow/light transition: Pick up the color/tone of the light or the shadow with the color picker. Then brush very lightly over the transition until you get a new tone/color. Then pick that color up and do it again and again and again.... until you are statisfied with the transition.

Don't worry about soft or blurred edges. You can give them a crisp and sharp look afterwards with the round hard brush and the same method.

With that method you can also apply broad washes of shadows or color, just like in traditional painting with very diluted color. You don't need more than these 2 brushes. They are everything you need.

But I am glad to read that you are hard with yourself. Don't loose it.

cheers, Acki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My lady, you have to post more! I've been stalking your sketchbook hoping to see something new. Hope school and life will ease up a bit so we can see more art!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Three weeks have passed since I last draw anything for myself. I've got invoved in a project outside my job and it have been eating my free time, the one I used to study. Sorry, I can't show these things or what I produce at my job yet. I think that when we leave the initial stage things will be easier and I'm going to get more free time. ._.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it. Somehow I feel guilty that I'm not at the level I wished to yet, I hope I don't disapoint you.

@AckermannPhilip
    Do you realize that you're giving technical tips? You can't blame my lack of knowledge and skill on my poor tablet. And I think the configuration you use is something personal, that varies from person to person.

Also, the starter tips like "use the color picker this or that way" won't help too. It's not like I don't know how to use a tablet or this program or don't know you can sharper edges later (I'm not worried about edges at all). Again, it's all a matter of have not observed real life enough.

Anyway, I've done a concept of a little girl and it reminded of an old character I've not draw for 5 or 6 years. She deservers a rework. So, just to give some life to this topic, two ugh speedies.

Say "hi" to the little creepy-looking-toad-face-girl.
    mitzi_doodle.png

I have yet to decide what she's going to be holding and I'm unhappy with this cloth design, I just threw things over things, hah. I had fun with her face and decided to give her over dilatated pupils, because I can and it fits well the story. >3

And another old character, related to the previous girl... I was going to go further and train some new coloring tricks but I stopped when I zoomed out and noticed she looked a way too like Emma Watson. It's not the exactly mood I wanted to give her, so I'm going to try again other day. Back to work now.
    pan01.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are what I aspire to become....

Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're back!! Love the face in the second image :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the portrait, late at night fun!

I've changed some things but she doesn't looks right yet. Why I can't find her right face? T_T Also, ugh, I remembered why I don't color on photoshop anymore. It feels so awkward, and I had to rely on filters to not throw the sketch away.
    pan_grow03.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's some fantastic stuff in here- your subject is really interesting - espeically the little creatures in post 9 - they're the best.
    I love how you get such a traditional looking result, even though your work is digital- all my digital stuff is obvious - really should work on that....
    Happy sketching more plz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's actually easy to get free of the 100% digital feeling. The first thing you must learn is to stop to get overly concerned about details, lines and respecting them. If you learn how to have fun without worry about polishing all the illustration it's a piece of cake. Also, get some dirty textures to throw over your work when finished. CGTexures.com is a great place to get some dirty old wall textures.

It's the last update of this portrait, I swear. I stopped when I noticed I was starting to do that again.
    pan.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really digging the texture and color of your finals. also, don't forget about the feet!!! I get the feel you know how to draw them, but it is important to get them in your quick sketches.

Also, the horizontal lines on the features of your face don't always line up. the lines of the eyes/nose/ mouth should be parallel.

There is no Plan B,
    -e

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Thyname For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some nice feel for texture! love it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo,this one: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...5&d=1326546378 is really strong,
    the mood, the colors and her attitude are great. I think she has more charisma than your other work,
    and the subtles spots on her lips etc.. are really nice,
    keep sharing!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to bouroune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool SB! i like your style and use of colors alot! and you seem to have a very good grasp of the female body! maybe show some males too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, guys! You're too kind!

@Thyname It's kind of your part saying I know how to draw them. Maybe if I spend 10min I can draw them, but the truth is that my legs really sucks. Too many portraits... ;x

About the lines, you got it! I have something wrong, I just can't notice some angles (and I barely can draw straight lines, hahaha). I usually flip the painting like mad to avoid these mistakes, but sometimes I just get lazy.

I was thinking about trying the first exercise there: http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...&postcount=113
    They're quick, so I can do on a daily basis.

To give a breath of life to the sb...

Some food for thought, 30min-1h. Don't ask me wtf is going on there, I have no idea. I'm gonna call it Sharksaurus until I come up with a better name, trololol.

I need a new software to be able to scan things over LAN, I've draw some good shots of this monster during the Carnival. His mounth is so wonky there, eeugh! I think I like the paper better to draw monsters.
    sharksaurus02.png

Rough draft, 14 frames, my first ever attempt on animating any shit. I'm going to have to deal with animation in two different projects, so this holiday I've started my studies in my free time...

Yeeeeah, the anatomy sucks and I forgot to add other plane for farther legs, I didn't study it beforehand so it's out of sync, etc.

All I wanted was to try to understand the division of the movement in frames... Sorry about the ninja pulling his tail and making him walk funny, hahaha.
    catwalk2.gif

Tell me if it's too slow/fast. It seemed ok on PS and (yuck) IE, but too fast at Chrome so I've slow down it a bit.

Lesson number one: DO THE DAMN KEYFRAMES! ;x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketch book! My advise for you is this...try to draw the entire body, even in the final you know you won't include some body parts. In order to get proportion right, it's important to get the right distance and angle between each landmarks in a body. You can always crop sections or modify them in later stage. Also, I have a feeling you haven't tried this so I say it...try to draw from feet. This will force you to focus on getting sense of gravity right when doing figure drawing.

Cat walking animation is pretty good. Though it's a bit odd to see the cat shaking its head that much. Cats don't do that when they walk...but I don't know if you are making realistic walk or not, so I won't dig it too much. If you are trying exaggerated cartoon walk, it's not cartoony enough yet.Right now the animation look somewhere between realistic and cartoon, seems unresolved in terms of a style.

Photoshop doesn't seem to get right frame rate, so I never trust them. I usually use it for drafting and cleaning up lines. I recommend tweaking timing in other programs like AfterEffects.

Good stuff! Looking forward to see more from you definitely!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to raqmo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're forming a very unique art style for yourself. Keep it up. I especially like where you're going with your facial anatomy.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Ebony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful works, saved a lot on my PC ))) Will wait for more beauty )))

37. The Following User Says Thank You to in2eternity For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 342