Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks
    Ninja update! A nearly finished WIP. I'm doing the opposite I've been doing lately and invested my time on something which isn't a floating head portrait, and I also want to make it rougher but more balanced. Less sexy highlights if I manage to stay my hand, better edges, so though individual details won't sell it the artwork looks better as a whole package.

Stuff that undoubtedly will change: Her weird hand, that giant funny brush thing—which I want to fit in the pic because it's relevant but I don't think I'll be able to.

Vielmond's Sketchbook

A previous stage:
    Vielmond's Sketchbook

Mood/light test:
    Vielmond's Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 2,093 Posts
    aww I just wrote a whole thing, and CA crashed while posting it... anyways... beautiful updates! love your work!
    MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Aw, that sucks! Same thing happened to me today, but I previewed the post before it crashed, so I was able to restore it.

Thanks, Nicky! Feel free to nitpick, particularly on this WIP since it's still a WIP.

Anyway, that's here I stopped today. Using lasso tool is so helpful, frankly, I don't know why I don't use it more if not due pure laziness. I feel better about these tiles now. Their crappy look was distracting me from other fixes.

Vielmond's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Very nice Vielmond. Loving seeing a more completed illustration from you. I have two thoughts you might consider for this WIP. One is that her hand doesn't seem weight bearing given that the fingers are all bent. Secondly is adding some subtle layering to the background to create layers of buildings and making the city seem less like a flat wall. Nice work!

Thanks
    The difference between the first pages and your latest work is amazing! Loving #300.

Looking forward to seeing more illustrations from you.
    (Btw, you have an amazing Castlevania-esque name!)

Thanks
    Hey! I love your sketchbook! It`s really nice to be able to see the progress you made, since you first posted on here. Really love your environments and the studies. Beautiful use of light and color! Stunning work

Thanks
    my goodness! beautiful work! love that you do most of your portraits just with the hard round brush LOL. great skin tones too! what kinds of study do you recommend to get a better handle on skin and portrait work?

Thanks
    @pindurski
    Indeed, I put a bit more of work on that background. It's actually a sort of wall, that city was built in a steep slope, it's pretty vertical. That hand is giving me some trouble. Clenched looks just plain wrong, partially clenched look like crap as well. I'll still give it some love as I work a bit more on her, but I can't make her looking as if leaning all her weight on it, because she's not. In this inclination placing pressure on your hands would make you slid down. Her balance depends on those curled toes.

@dndallasta and MurderBunny
    Thank you! I've been fighting the urge to start a new sketchbook, but it's useful to let people see my progress, I reckon. Haha, no one said that about my name before!

@wutangclam
    Thanks! Hm, to paint believable skin you must understand it, there is no shortcut I know. Strive to understand how light interacts with it, do some researches on the subject. It might sound odd, but understanding how skin is done in 3D (texture and material properties) helps immensely, that's how I started to notice what I should look for in skin. I also love to make other artists unknowingly teach me by observing their works. Artists exaggerate or tone down things, what makes them easier to notice. Noticing is the first step. Observe mindfully, ask yourself questions. Try Frank Holl, Sargent, Peter Paul Rubens, José Tapiró y Baró; Ludwig Deutsch is outstanding for dark skin tones.

__
    Last update before posting the finished piece, because I don't want to ruin your patience. I think I'll keep the brush, and the other arm.

Vielmond's Sketchbook
    Mood (without highlights because I want to keep my addiction under control):
    Vielmond's Sketchbook

In case you're curious, that's a chimney sweep brush:

Vielmond's Sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    gorgeous work! your skin tones and how they are affected by different types of lighting/atmosphere is in particular amazing.
    Sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240697

Deviant Art:
    http://n0n7.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4wzz0t

Blog:
    http://ddurante.blogspot.com/

Video Portfolio:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-VqUMybNTs

Instagram:
    http://instagram.com/images0segami/
    "I am obsessed with the process of creation"-Zdzislaw Beksinski

"Art is never finished, only abandoned"-Leonardo da Vinci

"Fear is the mind-killer"-Frank Herbert

Thanks
    Such awesome stuff in here, I cant believe ive never noticed your sb. Guess I should browse more.
    I love how everything you have in here looks handmade. Whatever you do, stay true to yourself in that regard- it sets you apart. There are enough hyperrealistic photobashing pixelpushers out there! Cheers!

Thanks
    @N0N
    Thanks! Once you start to grasp how skin works it gets easier, though different atmospheres still hold the power to puzzle you.

@Benedikt
    Uh oh, an adult came down to the playground to watch the children play!
    Thank you for the kind words! There will be always someone to complain about the roughness but I'm way too willful to comply. It's not that I don't like hyperrealistic photobashing and all the stuff polished into oblivion, I enjoy looking at them and I still want to steal some secrets from them (e.g.: atmosphere), but I'm invariably draw to the things that don't look as digital and smooth.

_______

I'm done with that cursed thing (unless someone finds something unforgivable, ofc)!

Vielmond's Sketchbook

And the neutral atmosphere version. Ugh, I like it better.

Vielmond's Sketchbook

That piece got me to exercise different muscles. Attempting to keep a balanced level of detail is challenging for different reasons than the usual. The temptation to bring the focus to familiar areas through highlights, sunlight or define certain edges is too great. I also decided to start shyly play with blur in the inverse way I do: instead of using it simply for depth and edges I used to it blend some values. It looks too even for my taste, but I'll tame it eventually.
    Last edited by Vielmond; June 24th, 2015 at 09:38 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lovely illustration Camila
    INSTAGRAM"Know yourself. Express yourself. Master yourself."
    Sketchbook - Color 1.1 1.2 - Composition 1.1 1.2 - Drawing 1.1 - Illusion

Thanks
    Your sketchbook is so inspiring! I like the way you leave a lot of your brushwork showing through while still mainting your work knit. Also, i wish i had a last name as cool as yours :l

Thanks for posting and cheers from Brazil.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cesartalves For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I just wanted to say that your work has always been a source of inspiration to me. I love how you paint! Keep being so awesome.
    my sketchbook - art grindin' 8D

21. The Following User Says Thank You to eroquii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bookmarking to learn from this awesome sauce . I'm really liking the traditional strokes and textures you do.
    >Sketchbook<

On a quest to improve!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkem For This Useful Post:

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast