Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Vielmond's Sketchbook

Thanks

Vielmond's Sketchbook

Vielmond's Sketchbook

I have known CA.org for a good while, but never had the guts to post something. I am a professional illustrator—you've got to earn the bread you eat, right?—yet, I think of myself more as a student. I'm terribly aware of my shortcomings, of how I've got a lot to improve. If I made a list it would have no end, hah! I hope my slowpoke speed doesn't bother you.

Forgive me in advance for my English, it's not my mother tongue and sometimes I let odd expressions slip.

I've moved the first artworks to my next post because... you know, thumbnails. First illustrations with twisted and wrecked characters, the first I've draw in months. It's a long story. ;x

Vielmond's Sketchbook
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vielmond; 1 Week Ago at 10:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No need to worry!
    Particulary the first pic is AWESOME!

Thanks
    Hey, I've been lurking CA for a long time and just joined up as well!

Your work is beautiful. You seem to have a pretty distinct and technically backed style, so my criticisms might just stem from my own preferences. Just rest assured knowing that I'm offering friendly suggestions, not spiteful remarks. Your work's already won me over!

The thing that I noticed in the first image was the use of texture. The image has strong textures distributed throughout the clothing and background. I think these textures work well. I think where the textures don't work quite as well are throughout the skin. You would do well, in my opinion, to soften up the skin tones, or at least in the lower layers. If you're going for that gritty look, that's fine, but I think it would provide a starker contrast to the strong textures in the background if you were to soften up the texture in the area of the skin. It would make her pop from the image more.

I think you could spruce up the line work in the second image and have a very solid painting. In particular I think a darkened line below the chin and some stronger lines surrounding the hand would give a stronger sense of depth. The hands seem to be painted a bit shyly. I would really attack those if it's something you're struggling with. You might feel like it will ruin the image, but if you understate them (especially when the way they're positioned makes the woman look so gentle and provides a mood to the piece) the piece will suffer. I'd really like to see this one developed more.

The third image. Again, this is great for a sketch. If you threw developed the tail a little more I'd love to comment on it. I love how you handled the fur in the face, though.

In the fourth image you're displaying a strength for creating a mood again. You seem to have a penchant for facial expressions. Again, I would develop the hands more. Do a couple studies of hands in those positions if you feel uncomfortable with developing them on the image. You seem to be great at positioning them, but timid as far as finishing them goes. Your work is solid, you're great at faces and value distribution, hands are just a matter of applying those principles to a different shape.

If you have any questions about my comments, just let me know. I'll be keeping track of your sketchbook!

Thanks
    [Edited to include stuff from first post]

Name:  stained.jpg
Views: 4028
Size:  475.2 KBName:  aimeee_tribal.jpg
Views: 4008
Size:  243.0 KBName:  blue_sketch.jpg
Views: 4019
Size:  401.4 KBName:  trico_sketch.jpg
Views: 3994
Size:  172.4 KB

Thank you. I wanted something colored as the cover, mwahahahaha!

I actually took a handful time at the first picture, trying to figure out how the character should look like. I ended being carried away by the music I was listening and made she a way too badass.

Ok, some more junk art to populate my sketchbook. I've heard there is references section a here at CA. Awesome, yeah, free refs for training. >D

There is a recent study of a photography, that I liked, but I'm not sure if I can post it. I guess I'll keep it at DA, where I've found the photo, so...

A silly and old quickie with derpface.

Attachment 1399673

A OMG-MY-EYES-BURN-WTF-ARE-THOSE-LEGS WIP. I'm still going to grab some references, since I obviously failed. Oh, it's the same woman from my first illustration there. I've made some changes to her face etc.

Attachment 1399674
    Last edited by Vielmond; May 25th, 2014 at 04:11 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really lovely ladies, the last one her hands seems a bit long in the middle, the palmish part, just short that up ( usually the palm is more square-ish once you remove the fingers, yours is a but more like a rectangle if that helps) and it'll be pretty anatomically solid.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eyecager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, that´s pretty impressive! I´m looking forward to see how you improve even more.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumhoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really like your color choices so far, but many of the things that you have posted so far are unfinished. Then again, I'm also guilty of not finishing things as well.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've posted a answer for you, people, but it fell on moderation and my experience says I'm never going to see this post again. =.=

Who knows? I'm going to post only two shits while I wait, if the previous post doesn't appears in few days I guess I'm going to rewrite everything.

This is a WIP on-hold. I decided that modeling in 3D is going to help me to "see" volumes better (in the past I always did the same flat-faces). So, I've been working on this concept at the same time I'm sculpting her face. This is why only her face is rendered so far, and I'm still going to work on it hahah.

Attachment 1400247

This one is only a rough sketch to check out how I would dress this character. She should look slimmer, meh. Ignore her face, please.

Attachment 1400249
    Last edited by Vielmond; January 14th, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Ohh, I've discovered "attach" tags! <3

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, I'm not that pacient. I guess it won't show up, so...

@Eyecager & @FightingSeraph
    I think that at this point I should tell that I lost a year. I didn't draw, except for one collab, for a full year. After this I did like 2 pieces and draw only concepts for scenarios. Before this abscent year, I didn't draw that much too, specially because I was at college and it sucked out any will to draw I had.

So, Eyecager
    Thanks for the tip. Yes, I'm aware I suck at this, and I love long hands, so unknowing I deform them. It's another reason I've put this piece on-hold, I'm going to study more anatomy before finishing. Or at least try.

@FightingSeraph
    I guess I should had put more finished works at the beginning of the topic to introduce myself. Sorry. The truth is that I'm ashamed of them, and many are 2 or 3 years old. I'm going to flood you all now, mwahahaha.

@[b]Tumhoy[b/]
    Thanks, sir. I can't wait to improve also. Sometimes I even get frustrated, because it seems I just wander in circles. So tiresome!

Ok, old pieces to introduce myself:

2011. The first illustration after the year long hiatus. I did at PS7, and I was forced to draw at 100% due it's bugs with zoom out and tablets. The deadline was ridiculously short, so, I'm sorry. Many half-*ssed things. :<

Attachment 1400970

Close-ups at 50%. Irk!

Attachment 1400973

2011. Random stylized scenario. It's somewher in NY. I must say it's one of my "first" scenarios, since I've never been so found of them. They're as complicated as characters.

Attachment 1400975

2009. Made for a contest. I didn't made in time because I was using my old tablet and it just... completely died when I reached this stage. Ugh!

Attachment 1400980

2009. Lemmings, yay! The subject there was "gap".

Attachment 1400974

2009. Silly attempt at flat colors. They're no fun at all!

Attachment 1400977

2008. Cheesy colors and funny proportions.

Attachment 1400979

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I didn't notice my last message finally got approved. So...

I've been doing some photostudies, I noticed I've never made a photostudy before, so I'm trying to get a better grasp on colors and later, compositon.

30min speedpaint. This one was from imagination, before doing the studies, this is why it sucks in so many levels.

Attachment 1402186

30min or less each. Based on a book I have, full of photos. I noticed I need to increase my awareness for greens, purples and blues.

Attachment 1402191

Another photoreferenced quickie, a excuse to do some shrooms, they're cool. The kodamas weren't present. =P

Attachment 1402190

Deserts and steppes coming soon.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good work so far, looking forward to seeing what environments you come up with.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to towy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, your costume designs are great, especially this one http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...9&d=1326544722
    Keep em coming!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Edarneor For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast