Sketchbook: Vielmond's Silly Sketches (December 1st)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vielmond's Silly Sketches (December 1st)

Welcome to Camila Vielmond's Sketchbook~~

Although I have know CA.org for a good while only now I've got the guts to post something, and I should warn you that I'm kinda terrified of critics. It might have something to do with most of them being of the not-helpful type: "It's wrong. *end of the critic*" "I hate these colors."

In fact, I'm my worst critic, trying to give my best until I get exhausted and likely drop the piece because it's not up to my standards. For I often find myself wandering in circles I would love to get some constructive criticism. Tell me the reasons, explain how to do it right and I'm going to worship you forever, trololol.

Check my next post (because these damn thumbnails love to act up, hah) to see some of the first characters I've draw in months. Yes, so many twisted and wrecked drawings, I'm still warming up.

I've got a list of things I need to train like hell.
    - Hands... and, erm, anatomy in general. And men! And elderly!
    - Colors
    - Different face structures
    - Clothing
    - Hair
    - Environments

And like, everything else! >.<

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vielmond; December 1st, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No need to worry!
    Particulary the first pic is AWESOME!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I've been lurking CA for a long time and just joined up as well!

Your work is beautiful. You seem to have a pretty distinct and technically backed style, so my criticisms might just stem from my own preferences. Just rest assured knowing that I'm offering friendly suggestions, not spiteful remarks. Your work's already won me over!

The thing that I noticed in the first image was the use of texture. The image has strong textures distributed throughout the clothing and background. I think these textures work well. I think where the textures don't work quite as well are throughout the skin. You would do well, in my opinion, to soften up the skin tones, or at least in the lower layers. If you're going for that gritty look, that's fine, but I think it would provide a starker contrast to the strong textures in the background if you were to soften up the texture in the area of the skin. It would make her pop from the image more.

I think you could spruce up the line work in the second image and have a very solid painting. In particular I think a darkened line below the chin and some stronger lines surrounding the hand would give a stronger sense of depth. The hands seem to be painted a bit shyly. I would really attack those if it's something you're struggling with. You might feel like it will ruin the image, but if you understate them (especially when the way they're positioned makes the woman look so gentle and provides a mood to the piece) the piece will suffer. I'd really like to see this one developed more.

The third image. Again, this is great for a sketch. If you threw developed the tail a little more I'd love to comment on it. I love how you handled the fur in the face, though.

In the fourth image you're displaying a strength for creating a mood again. You seem to have a penchant for facial expressions. Again, I would develop the hands more. Do a couple studies of hands in those positions if you feel uncomfortable with developing them on the image. You seem to be great at positioning them, but timid as far as finishing them goes. Your work is solid, you're great at faces and value distribution, hands are just a matter of applying those principles to a different shape.

If you have any questions about my comments, just let me know. I'll be keeping track of your sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [Edited to include stuff from first post]

Name:  stained.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  475.2 KBName:  aimeee_tribal.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  243.0 KBName:  blue_sketch.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  401.4 KBName:  trico_sketch.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  172.4 KB

Thank you. I wanted something colored as the cover, mwahahahaha!

I actually took a handful time at the first picture, trying to figure out how the character should look like. I ended being carried away by the music I was listening and made she a way too badass.

Ok, some more junk art to populate my sketchbook. I've heard there is references section a here at CA. Awesome, yeah, free refs for training. >D

There is a recent study of a photography, that I liked, but I'm not sure if I can post it. I guess I'll keep it at DA, where I've found the photo, so...

A silly and old quickie with derpface.

Name:  quick_doodle.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  234.8 KB

A OMG-MY-EYES-BURN-WTF-ARE-THOSE-LEGS WIP. I'm still going to grab some references, since I obviously failed. Oh, it's the same woman from my first illustration there. I've made some changes to her face etc.

Name:  mauve_WIP.png
Views: 2261
Size:  680.7 KB

Last edited by Vielmond; November 3rd, 2013 at 10:06 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really lovely ladies, the last one her hands seems a bit long in the middle, the palmish part, just short that up ( usually the palm is more square-ish once you remove the fingers, yours is a but more like a rectangle if that helps) and it'll be pretty anatomically solid.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eyecager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, that´s pretty impressive! I´m looking forward to see how you improve even more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumhoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your color choices so far, but many of the things that you have posted so far are unfinished. Then again, I'm also guilty of not finishing things as well.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've posted a answer for you, people, but it fell on moderation and my experience says I'm never going to see this post again. =.=

Who knows? I'm going to post only two shits while I wait, if the previous post doesn't appears in few days I guess I'm going to rewrite everything.

This is a WIP on-hold. I decided that modeling in 3D is going to help me to "see" volumes better (in the past I always did the same flat-faces). So, I've been working on this concept at the same time I'm sculpting her face. This is why only her face is rendered so far, and I'm still going to work on it hahah.

Name:  idris_facet.jpg
Views: 2440
Size:  253.7 KB

This one is only a rough sketch to check out how I would dress this character. She should look slimmer, meh. Ignore her face, please.

Name:  idris_full_body_concept.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  535.6 KB

Last edited by Vielmond; January 14th, 2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Ohh, I've discovered "attach" tags! <3

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm not that pacient. I guess it won't show up, so...

@Eyecager & @FightingSeraph
    I think that at this point I should tell that I lost a year. I didn't draw, except for one collab, for a full year. After this I did like 2 pieces and draw only concepts for scenarios. Before this abscent year, I didn't draw that much too, specially because I was at college and it sucked out any will to draw I had.

So, Eyecager
    Thanks for the tip. Yes, I'm aware I suck at this, and I love long hands, so unknowing I deform them. It's another reason I've put this piece on-hold, I'm going to study more anatomy before finishing. Or at least try.

@FightingSeraph
    I guess I should had put more finished works at the beginning of the topic to introduce myself. Sorry. The truth is that I'm ashamed of them, and many are 2 or 3 years old. I'm going to flood you all now, mwahahaha.

@[b]Tumhoy[b/]
    Thanks, sir. I can't wait to improve also. Sometimes I even get frustrated, because it seems I just wander in circles. So tiresome!

Ok, old pieces to introduce myself:

2011. The first illustration after the year long hiatus. I did at PS7, and I was forced to draw at 100% due it's bugs with zoom out and tablets. The deadline was ridiculously short, so, I'm sorry. Many half-*ssed things. :<

Name:  dead_dolls.jpg
Views: 2127
Size:  521.3 KB

Close-ups at 50%. Irk!

Name:  dead_dolls_close.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  509.3 KB

2011. Random stylized scenario. It's somewher in NY. I must say it's one of my "first" scenarios, since I've never been so found of them. They're as complicated as characters.

Name:  random_city.jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  518.0 KB

2009. Made for a contest. I didn't made in time because I was using my old tablet and it just... completely died when I reached this stage. Ugh!

Name:  dreams.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  528.5 KB

2009. Lemmings, yay! The subject there was "gap".

Name:  lemmings.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  301.7 KB

2009. Silly attempt at flat colors. They're no fun at all!

Name:  LA_Nihal_2.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  322.4 KB

2008. Cheesy colors and funny proportions.

Name:  LA_Nihal.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  417.6 KB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't notice my last message finally got approved. So...

I've been doing some photostudies, I noticed I've never made a photostudy before, so I'm trying to get a better grasp on colors and later, compositon.

30min speedpaint. This one was from imagination, before doing the studies, this is why it sucks in so many levels.

Name:  random_evn_02.png
Views: 2011
Size:  1,020.5 KB

30min or less each. Based on a book I have, full of photos. I noticed I need to increase my awareness for greens, purples and blues.

Name:  cube_landscapes_set_01.jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  533.0 KB

Another photoreferenced quickie, a excuse to do some shrooms, they're cool. The kodamas weren't present. =P

Name:  cube_05_687.png
Views: 2014
Size:  565.1 KB

Deserts and steppes coming soon.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work so far, looking forward to seeing what environments you come up with.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

22. The Following User Says Thank You to towy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, your costume designs are great, especially this one http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...9&d=1326544722
    Keep em coming!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Edarneor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, guys. I'm trying my best.

@Edarneor
    Thanks! I think I still need to work more on them, they kinda have always the same look, the same mood.

@Smoke
    For now I'll focus on building a "visual library" for environments. I'm trying to absorb as much knowledge I can before I attempt to create something again.

And now, the today's update... I wanted to do 4 photostudies again, but this time I allowed myself to spend more time on them, since I got the colors easily.

I already had 2 finished and would do the other two when back at home, but I fell from the bus on my way to work (LOL!) and my arms hurt a little, so 2 and half. :<

I'm not sure of how long it took, around 2h I guess. I played more with my new brushes and god, I hate dunes. I got no clue of how do them properly. These ones were really detailed, all stripped. Any tips?

Name:  desert_01.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  461.7 KB
    Name:  desert_02.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  482.1 KB

The unfinished one. I'm not good with rocks, so here I'm trying to figure out the best way to do them.

Name:  desert_03_WIP.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  412.7 KB

It seems I love hot oversaturated colors. .-.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is beautiful! I love the piece where you're hovering over a tablet with the ship and the sea monster. I can't wait to see more! Keep posting!

Edit: Hey, just a heads up, when I clicked on your username and went to "visit user's homepage" it linked me to vielmond.devianart.com. You're missing the "t" after the "n" in deviantart :] Needless to say I was very happy with the work after I added the t!

Last edited by blindshot; January 19th, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: problem with a link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff looks very good, but I can't help but point out that you're drawing a lot of the same subject matter. I wouldn't point it out if you hadn't made a list of what you said you really need to work on, but if you really want to broaden your areas of familiarity try stuff thats completely new. You draw a lot of beautiful girls with long hair, so why not broaden out and draw someone incredibly old, or overweight, or extremely muscular, or MALE ? Go for stuff you never draw. If you usually draw pretty things why not try doing something decadent and grotesque? Studying different body types and faces will really help out some of your target areas. You won't improve on what you yourself listed unless you go out of your way to target them. Happy posting

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blindshot

Thanks for the warn, I fixed it. I'll wait your other post to show up. ;D

@Ghast
    I've thought it would be too much information to include in the "must learn" list eldery and children, and it's kinda obvious anyway, hehe.

Thanks for saying that, I'm aware of it, but I need to focus on one thing at time. How would I leap to draw this kind of thing if I can't even draw poses with characters from my confort zone gender yet? If I'm still trying to get a frim grasp on facial structures instead of features, the only thing I'm going to anchieve trying to draw an elder at the current point would be spend too much time on it, to get really frustrated and mad.

I don't know if you noticed, but I'm focusing on enviroments right now. And it IS already out of my way, hahaha. I always hated backgrounds and landscapes, in the past I made more or less... none at all. I still have many studies of this subject ahead and after this I'm going to try one from imagination again. If I reach the lowest level of skill I'm aiming to, I'm going to move to poses, hands and feet sketches. Females first, exaclty because it's what I'm most confortable to draw and I have a model any time I want - me.

After I manage to do not so shitty and boring perspectives and at least decent hands, legs and feet, then I'll hunt down as many refs I can of males and go on.

Probably I'm going to need to do some life studies between this too, because I get too lost when trying to shade certain muscles. That's another reason wrinkles would take too much time right now.

If I wander in circles trying to do too much things at same time - and I don't have that free time to do this, besides I'm really slow - I'm going to end frustrated and learning nothing at all. I don't want to give steps too big for my feet, I've done this too much in the past and ended how I'm now. For the first time on my life I'm trying to organize my studies and keep a steady pace instead of trying to leap.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. If you can, when I get to the anatomy stage, please, help me to get it right!

P.s.: I need to do more animals and mosnters too, but they're really low on the priority list right now.

P.p.s.: No sketches or studies today. I'm still waiting for my arm fully recover and my mom is going to travel and spend some time away, I'm helping her with the final arrangements. Sorry, guys.

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start to your SB! I really like those photo studies, has a very nice sketchy look to them! You've got a cool style as well, I like the watercolour-like look to some of your pieces! Keep it up!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. kinda awesome sketchbook for the fact that you just started one - (though you have drawn very much before starting here ) - I like the one, where you wrote you modelled it in 3d and than draw it. I'm not the best in modelling, indeed I would have to do it more than I'm actually doing.but maybe I should try this too. actually I try to invest all my time in drawing ,not too much in 3d.. (oh, wow, i'm studying 3d.. damn D: ) - I'll definitley keep an eye on you - impressing, aaaand i love your style!

Art is beautiful, but requires a lot of work. Karl Valentin

sketchbook | deviantArt | twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very nice start your improvements are mindblowing

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook ^^. I see a lot of your work is soft and your environments are scratchy, your way of giving it texture I'm guessing? Try using custom brushes to help you with that and watch carefully what is hard and soft ^^. I'm also thinking of starting environment study again too I need work in that dept. xD. Best of luck!

wut is your problem dude?

Nah it's all cool bro just check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rob Powell
    Someone else told the same thing about watercolor today. The funny fact is that the last time I've attempted to work with watercolor I got really frustrated - they weren't top quality neither was the paper, so the color didn't work well - and I made a big mess too.

@Nianto
    I sculpted actually. I didn't finish it yet, I can't manage to work, do so many illustrations and study 3d at the same time, so I came only this far. It's my first sculpt and I still have to deal with the eyes, oh, the eyes, they'll give me headaches hehe...

Name:  render_01_20_01_2013.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  114.7 KB

I'm going to finish it later, but I can tell I was right when I guessed sculpting would help me to notice some things better than before.

@gurzy
    In the past I've always aimed for a way too polished type of illustration. But I've started to fell for painted-like illustrations, there is something wild and free on them that attracts me.

I know they're scratchy, for now there are 3 reasons for this:
    1 - I don't want to spend too much time in studies. It allows me to focus in different aspects in each illustration, like the color, or a specific texture without giving an ugly aspect to the whole illustration.
    2 - I'm trying to use only SAI - cheaper and lighter -, I've found some custom cool brushes and tried to create others, but I'm still missing some brushes that would really help me with some effects.
    3 - Every time I have the opportunity to give a try on a loose painterly style I use it, to train. Many times I don't have this freedom in my job.

Ok, here goes my morning warm up. I did this while taking my coffee, before the projects got archived hehe. Shit, my hand still bothers me a bit, but it's better.

I know it's wrong in so many levels but for the first time I actually liked the result, with all the errors. It's as twisted and wrong as I felt the projects were and reflected exactly my feelings. Run from the hairy-ear girl, trololol!

Name:  stop_sopa_final.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  376.3 KB

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. very kind of you to post your sculpted face. which program are you sculpting with? doesn't look like zbrush. but I like the idea.. I should really try it.

the sopa drawing seems sketchy, but I totally know what you mean, if you say "it describes the feeling".. can feel it too

Art is beautiful, but requires a lot of work. Karl Valentin

sketchbook | deviantArt | twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really dig the SOPA piece. Even though it has what you're calling "errors" I think it retains a really raw, emotional quality as a result. Maybe that looseness can extend to some of your other work?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Nianto
    Sculptris. It's like a very lite version of zBrush and it belongs to Pixologic now, but it's free! It's a nice way to get started with sculpting. #win

I've imported it in Blender so I could use a normal map and render it. Blender isn't only free but open source also.

And yeah, sketchy. Like I said I made while drinking my coffee this morning, sleepy and fast. I'm happy because somehow I don't hate it and my sleepiness allowed it to be oversaturated, teheee. I usually police myself to not go too far on colors.

@blindshot
    Thanks, sir! I want it too, but it has to be planned, intentional. Currently I'm only able to... do it. I want to use it the best way I can in the future.

Ok, since I couldn't do the landscapes today here goes a shit I've done before starting the nature studies. NSFW below.

It's horrible, I know. I tried to figure the best way to study but had no luck so far. I can't render all the light and shadows, it takes too much time and I need to learn some specific things in shading or it looks like crap. It didn't work.

I moved to lines so, and tried to figure from where to start, but nope, didn't work too. So, I knew I had to read books or something like this on the subject AND do some exercises to raise my awareness on angles and such thing, because I fail to see certain inclinations, it's comical. They're just invisible, always the same angles to the same direction.

Thinking about from where start, my mind wanderer to another subject, the landscapes. It's other type of study I've never done before, so I decided to try it before seriously diving into anatomy.

TL;DR

Name:  ugh_studies.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  409.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really ought to stop being so hard on yourself, these look really good.

The thing I'm noticing is that the parts of your work that you criticize yourself so much for are the ones that you shy away from. You understate the values in your hands, and you shy away from line work.

It's funny because I used to rely so heavily on line work but I shied away from shading and value, so I know why you have this habit, I just had it for opposite reasons. Would you mind if I drew over some of your sketches with some advice on line? I feel like explaining it in words would take a long time and just be confusing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't mind, I would love it. And in these I shyed away for one reason: I need to do a separated study on them. Since I was trying to understand from where I should start, focus on the hardest things for me wouldn't teach me right now, but waste the time, like I wasted at the first two.

I know my worst weak spots on anatomy right now: Hands, legs, feet. Then, perspective and overlapping members. I'm sucking at this, I've always sucked. I'm seriously going to need advice on these. :<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By overlapping members do you just mean like, overlapping limbs on the body? Or overlapping objects in general?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mostly on body itself. If I do lines it gets so dirty I get all lost, if I go directly from values I end doing stiff and unbelievable members.

P.s.; I know I'm sometimes too hard on myself, hahah. The good thing is that I know where I need to improve (even if I don't know how to), the downside is that sometimes I get so frustrated that I just end giving up, pissed off. That's why I'm here at CA, I need a helping hand when I get this stuck.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 164