painter 12.1 update - win/mac

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

painter 12.1 update - win/mac

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll have to check it out more thoroughly, but watching the video made me happy that they finally look like they're getting the brush management together. It was one of my biggest complaints because, a lot of it was way too manual and you had to dig into system folders to manage it. Same with Workspaces.

Also looks like they integrated that Mixer Palette idea too, which is good.

I am trying the Brush Management, and I'm Soooo loving it. Little weirdness when you create a variant (seems to want to stay on old ones when you're actually on the new variant). But it's soooooooooooo much easier now. Of course the downside is that people with older versions of painter will probably feel sad they can't use 12 but people who own 12 can now share brushes and workspaces with much more ease. The drag and drop works great. I've moved all my variants out of the category, set a new custom icon with extreme ease and made my own category for my variants.

The "invert box" for Bleed still needs to be fixed, and hoping they fix the windows losing focus. Meaning that sometimes the document window is not in focus when I need to pan or zoom. It's very weird.

Here's hoping you guys get your 64 bit in spring for Mac.

I also have to say, that if they keep doing updates like this, I'll be sticking around more, this is a good direction for Painter. I'm tired of people making new versions with little changes to the system/program (...firefox needs to slow down).

Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 13th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ I think invert bleed stuff is patched? Elsevilla posted about it at painterfactory boards.
    you might have to reset your workspace, etc-etc-etc, but it should work finely now.

(I don't currently have painter 12, will only purchase it if 64 bit update is stable enough to work with.)

It's nice to see how much stuff went into this update, indeed - I like how they're addressing users feedback with 12 overall.

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It works, but sometimes it's sticky? I did see Elsevilla's post on it, but I just don't know if it's something to do with how small the box is or what, it was just sticking a lot no matter what I do. But it is working better than before.

I still have to do more checking on the lost windows focus. I was painting a portrait and noticed this happening a lot.

I don't have any of the CPU increase others were talking about - or at least I don't notice it on this lenovo icore3.

I also agree with others that this is an UPDATE, not a patch. The management and ease of the workspaces and custom brushes puts Photoshop's brush management to shame. I mean I get so confused with adding and appending libraries a lot with PS, and tried other methods of organization but even then it's...just sub-par.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now if they did the same for layers management it would bring Painter to the present.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    layers management, stability and screen redrawing speed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Disastrous. Mixer and Colour sets don't work at all now - just grey boxes - and can't see any other changes at all apart from a few dots on the bottoms of the menus. The colour palette is screwed in that it creates a ghost of itself when can't be removed. Navigator often just goes blank. All the bugs still remain. So now I have to make a decision - continue with what's working, which isn't much, or risk uninstalling and re-installing and losing my setup, which took about a month to get stable. No rush, though, my deadline's 48 hrs off yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Simon, did you do a factory restore and it's still giving you issues?
    Most issues I had when updating went away after I factory restored it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Disastrous. Mixer and Colour sets don't work at all now - just grey boxes - and can't see any other changes at all apart from a few dots on the bottoms of the menus. The colour palette is screwed in that it creates a ghost of itself when can't be removed. Navigator often just goes blank. All the bugs still remain. So now I have to make a decision - continue with what's working, which isn't much, or risk uninstalling and re-installing and losing my setup, which took about a month to get stable. No rush, though, my deadline's 48 hrs off yet.
    I'd suggest exporting your current workspace and saving your custom assets (brushes/papers/shortcuts/mixer pads/etc-etc) separately, and hard resetting painter;
    chances are importing your old workspace would still transfer some bugs, so at least, you won't lose your stuff after hard-resetting and will be able to import it into clean workspace.

There're reports of navigator going off when colour management is involved - http://painterfactory.com/forums/t/4359.aspx

if your issues don't go away after hard-resetting, it's better to report them at painterfactory as well, looks like they're actually listening to some of feedback these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    I'd suggest exporting your current workspace and saving your custom assets (brushes/papers/shortcuts/mixer pads/etc-etc) separately, and hard resetting painter;
    chances are importing your old workspace would still transfer some bugs, so at least, you won't lose your stuff after hard-resetting and will be able to import it into clean workspace.

There're reports of navigator going off when colour management is involved - http://painterfactory.com/forums/t/4359.aspx

if your issues don't go away after hard-resetting, it's better to report them at painterfactory as well, looks like they're actually listening to some of feedback these days.
    Thanks for the advice. I did the full reset initially and it was on the factory workspace that the bugs appeared. In the end I had to do a full uninstall and re-install of Painter (without patch) and try to re-import my workspace. After a few dozen XML errors and a few hours it seems to have stabilised but I can't risk trying the patch in case the whole lot screws up again, so at v12.0 it will have to stay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by ikken; July 10th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.