Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings

EDIT (18th August 2012): Same as my last edit, better stuff is on the last page (page 10)

Jaik Art Sketchbook - Beginnings

EDIT(1st April 2012): Please go to last page for more recent stuff, this stuff is kind of badddddd, not that page 5 is much better

Hello everyone,

First allow me to introduce myself. I am a 20-year old from Australia who has just figured out that he wants to become a concept artist.

My history in art is that I have always enjoyed drawing, through school I would doodle in my work books, in my spare time I would draw a little, but never anything serious. I did not take art in school, have no concept of colour theory, and wouldn't know incorrect (or correct for that matter) anatomy if it punched me in the face with an arm that was shorter than its other arm.

Basically, all I have is a strong desire to better myself, and one day I will become a concept artist. Its a story that is all too common on this forum, but the amount of sketchbooks which actually show true progression is inspiring to say the least.

This year I am going to be going to College of Fine Arts (COFA) university in Sydney to do a Bachelor of Fine Arts and I thought I would teach myself anatomy between now and the time that the semester starts (Beginning of March). Between this time I have sworn off playing around digitally on photoshop with my tablet and am solely focusing on pencil and paper studies.

This sketchbook will keep me motivated and I will be updating it every day (I hope), I am to draw every day for as much as I can. I was going to start on the 5th of Jan, but have been waiting for a scanner, I still dont have a scanner, but I need critiques because I am stuck and dont know what I am doing wrong. So its phone pics, but hopefully in a week or so I will have a scanner and then it will be all uphill..

I am begging for advice and critique at the moment even though these may look to bad to bother with.

I hope to get to know people here as I become an active user in this community.

Edit: First Post pics have been added to the bottom of the second post so that I could have a more interesting img in the forum.
    First post ends with pre-dated 5th of January stuff. 90-second Pose maniac sketches, I didnt know where to start and this seemed as good as anything.
    Last edited by Jaik; August 18th, 2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Change of Pictures
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks

6th january 2012

I began with Andrew Loomis' book: Drawing the Head and Hands.
    I am sure everyone is familiar with this and it is where the trouble starts, Im sure I am doing something wrong (will be on 9th of Jan upload).

Thanks

9th of January 2012

Sorry to be taking up posts like this.. and for image quality. Just trying to get up to date.

I kept drawing the head, but improvement was minimal at best. Still struggling with getting the features to sit right. I though it might be because I was doing them too small?

Thanks

10th and 11th of January 2012

I have been drawing more than this, I just wanted to give snapshots and since it is in the past, I didnt want to upload too much. I think I may be pushing it now lol.

As is plain to see I am doing something wrong, I think it has to do with the further away side of the face, but I cant seem to get it right. I worked out that in the "Plates" A. Loomis draws each individually so, not copies 1, so they are all slightly different so I went away from exact replication and moved to just following his words in the text with reference to the images.

Also, I seem to do it better one time, then worse the next.. Its a cycle thats driving me mad. Anyway, thats all up to date, still drawing today and will upload at the end, but HELP please!!!

Thanks

Yesterdays Update, 13th January 2012

Kept drawing heads, as always.
    Not really improving any more because I cant quite pick what Im doing wrong, the cheek bones were definitely too high so i started attempting to lower them a bit.
    Once again, help would be appreciated.
    Going to keep going at this sort of pace until Uni starts, I have a Bammes book coming in the mail but that will take a while :3
    DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks

14th January 2012

Soo many heads ;_; and I'm not getting any better. Doesnt bother me, Ill get some directions when I go to Uni. Decided to do some poses, no real time limit on pose-maniacs, just didnt spend an excessive amount of time on any of them. Just doodles I guess
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks

15th January 2012

More heads, a pose... I need to draw more, but got distracted yesterday watching Naruto... Ahwel..

Worked out I think the facial features are in the right spots no matter which way I twist the head.. Not 100% on proportions but I'll get there in time...

Thanks

17th of January 2012

Didnt draw at all yesterday but my Bammes book finally came n.n
    So I will probably start looking at that tomorrow, or maybe I'll just keep going through Loomis.. Who knows...
    Anyway, Study of Plate 6 of Drawing the Heads and Hands
    I still think I am struggling with Mouths and Chins and the "Dark Side" of the head as I see it, but I'm slowly getting there, putting more details in allows me to balance it a bit better. Didnt get much done today, I actually had to work at work...
    As always, someone, let me know your opinion?

Thanks

Last Couple of Days

Ok, so last couple of days have been kind of busy with work and some parties and birthdays of close friends etc so haven't been able to draw THAT much and havent been able to post at all.
    So basically, started with some figure proportion from Bammes, I am going to enjoy this book, it really took me a while to get my head around how best to use the book.
    I also managed to start with 2H by 6H for some stupid reason, must of been a brain fart. Anyway fixed that up, did some more Loomis from Plate 7 and some 60 second, then 30 second Posemaniacs, I'm getting faster and I'm hoping better.

I so desperately need a flatbed scanner...

Thanks

22nd of January 2012

Little bit of Loomis and some Bammes proportion, moving slowly I know but I spent way too much time reading stuff instead of drawing.

Thanks

23rd January 2012

Some Bammes and some more Loomis.

Thanks

24th January, 2012

Bammes and Loomis as always. Boring I know, but I want to get the fundamentals really down before I start sketching again.

Thanks

25th January, 2012

Finally got my scanner.
    Memorising the planes of the face atm. Kinda boring stuff. Got these planes ingrained in my head now for the next ones. yay >_>

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast