Dude Awesome Book. Really love those environments and perspective drawings,

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15th July 2012

Pete Hidalgo: Thanks for the kind words

--

Okay, today I tried the cube exercise I hear about on an episode of awesome horse, adding shapes to a simple cube to see what I came up with, Ill do this again, hopefully a bit better and more complex.
    An enviro built of lines, first time doing this too I think, this was fun, working with a perspective grid, need to practice my photoshop straight lines though =/
    Study of a lizard skin as was prior suggested, this was a pain in the ass!
    And I am starting to work through Doug Changs' Mechanika (I recommend this book to everyone) by copying his work and then applying it, hopefully I will have my one done today.

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15th July 2012

Forgot some stuff.
    Portrait about 2hrs.

Enviro

Enviro using only one brush

Enviro using only one brush and black over a gradient

10min enviro

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16th July 2012

Mechanika Application & Studies as well as a study of different types of joints I found at Gadget Bot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

17th July 2012

Started this weeks CHOW: Captain of the Guard. Was much better in my head, so i dont really like it... The thumb awasnt my favourite but it was the one that best fit the brief =/
    More mechanika studies, again mine is definitely not terribly original >.>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Jaik your enviros look awesome!!
    So do those recent mech studies, you've got a good sense of perspective developing - keep that up and experiment as much as you can!

This website is pretty popular so you've probably seen it, but I suggest doing a couple of these gesture posemaniacs before you do some figure studies. It'll warm you up, just limber up that arm before you jump into those thumbnails. Maybe do some armor studies to get some ideas of how armor is designed, fits on the body.
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/

Do as many thumbs as you can stand - the best idea is to have lots of ideas. Keep it up!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to liquorbleu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

18th July 2012

Liquor: Thanks Yeah I have heard about that site but sort of forgot about the benefits of warming up before getting into things like thumbnails. Thanks for the reminder My thumbnails and design and pretty week this time round, think ill redo them all

--

Small Update today.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works!
    Specially the technical stuff like the robots and the joint studies, pretty cool stuff.

You seem to be doing great with your studies of anatomy and landscapes.

My only crit is in the features of your portraits, sometimes the eyes are too big, or don't have defined eyelids. But since you're already doing studies, I think it's just a matter of practice. Maybe this will help you http://www.portrait-artist.org/face/eyes.html

Anyways, keep up the great work

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey voodoo, thanks! That site looks really good I'll be sure to read through it and apply it to my next portrait

--

Tried doing some gestures to warm up at work when i had some spare time, just 30 sec one, started focusing on economy of line, not sure how I did or if they are understandable, then I ran out of time at work to do thumbs -_-
    And a enviro, about an hour, not really happy with it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

21st July 2012

2 portraits, about 2-3hrs each, first ones mask was a PITA so i sort of gave up, looks like ass.
    Second one is a self portrait which probs could have been finished more, but I was sick at looking at myself for 3hrs -_-
    And an waste factory enviro thingy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

21st July 2012

Not heaps, couple of pages from my class but I cant get the camera to pick up the images properly so theres not really a lot of point in uploading the rest.
    And a 20min still life of a nut I have on my desk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

22nd July 2012

Thanks Kevin

--

Not alot, line based enviro, I have a failed master study sitting on my desk that isnt worth showing that was a time sink. And a failed experiment in oils so now im stuck with a garish orange background rose.. sigh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

26th July 2012

Quick study, slowly colouring the enviro, and the thumbs for it that I forgot to upload before

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

26th July 2012

Dump.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I kinda like the composition of the last enviro except a few small things:
    1. I think the building on the top of the hill needs more space to breath, it's too close to the top. You have some nice clouds, they would ensure the sky won't get boring even with some additional space
    2. The big bushes in the foreground troubles me, both the cut-in-half in the left and the right tall one that interferes with the cute brook and gets too close to the building.

It' s a pity you gave up on the first one in #250, it's a nice more-than-start of an impressive painting. The mouth isn't right though - it seems to be a constant problem for you, the mouthes just aren't quite right while the other features are okay. Your heads are better than before I think, the studies seem to get payed off Your faces have better proportions now. The self portrait has a bit oversized eyes but it's not that troubling.

I like your enviros and robotic things. I don't say I can't find flaws but they are promising and there are nice things going on in them.
    And my English is failing me.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you are getting so good! I love that Doug Chiang book, i got it too! Keep up the amazing work. Good job on fixing that Pokemon pinup girl. Looks great! Keep knocking out those studies man!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

28th July 2012

Shinnin: I tried shrunk the castle like you were saying, you were right, it looks much better now. I need to practice getting the features right before i practice pushing them to a finished level, so I prefer to do a lot of face studies just to practice locating features. You are right about my eyes though, Ill make a concious effort of make them smaller in my next group of studies.

Joe: Thanks joe! The doug Chang book is awesome, he is so mind blowingly awesome lol.

--

Figure drawing update for the last few days, did some anatomy too, trying to work out how the muscles fit into and around the pelvis, dont know whether I got it right though =/. My first watercolour drawing, then some 1min 3 min, 10min and 30min figure drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woa! Intense upload man!!! You really know how to capture those poses for those figure drawings!! Im jealous of your painting and tone skills. I need to get on that asap lol Keep up the good work!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

29th July 2012

Haha thanks joe!

--

Loomis style faces from photos, then K Chen demo studies, then applying it. Portrait from a picture, tried the smaller eyes this time lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! You're doing great, just keep working, you have a great understanding of the figure, the faces need some work, but you are putting in that work. So no complaints from me, just keep pushing harder!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates! The portraits are showing improvement, specially the red-haired woman with the mask, and the mastercopy of Leonardo da Vinci. Environments and composition are looking good too. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jaik - I love that watercolor pic
    I know it can feel awkward to draw all those faces sometimes but keep it up, they really do transform just with practice.
    You should definitely try plein air if you want to - just from the first time I learned so much from my little muddy painting. I know exactly what I need to work on - instead of digital - being confused as to what went wrong.

I was excited to hear you've been drawing since January, I've been drawing since September. I'm excited to see where we both will be in a few years

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man! Lots of updates! Loving the mechanical and vehicle sketches for sure, Not that you should listen to me, but I think some nose and lip studies would greatly help your portraits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

31st July 2012

Psychobuddy: The face is so hard D: but I'll get there eventually. Practice!

Voodoo: Thank you, I'm glad it was recognizable as di Vincis work, must have been doing something right lol.

Liqourbleu: "I know exactly what I need to work on - instead of digital - being confused as to what went wrong." is probably the part that makes me want to do it most. Digital has so many things that can get you to the same end result that it does get confusing.

Pete Hidalgo: You read my mind, noses are next and I did some lip studies today, need to do more, but its a start.

--

Greyscale portrait using shapes instead of line to build it up

Enviro using line which takes longer than it should

Gestures

zubat Pinup WIP

Did a water colour study of a cherry blossom tree, took me about 1hr, watercolour is hard -.-

watercolour portrait

I made a rig in sketchup to practice mouths on

Loomis heads from ref

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1st August 2012

Doug Chang, CHOW sketches and some Scott Robertson drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey jaik, those perspective grids looks really clean. It might be interesting to play with those a bunch and see what you come up with.

You might or might not have seen this video but I thought I'd leave it here in case you hadn't - any drawing is good and everything will come with time but this video has some good things to keep in mind I think
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/the-danger-...g-silhouettes/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2nd August 2012

LiquorBleu: I had seen that, but a long time ago. I sort of got that from this last lot of silhouettes, I was drawing shapes that I had no real idea what I wanted to do with. I guess short cuts are still a little out of my reach lol.

--

So update for now on CHOW, had more ideas so I'm going to redraw it in a different pose, changed the weap etc. My dad gave me a really nice, really old fountain pen and I really like using it, so did a pen sketch study of a drawing in a book I found, and then I had some spare time at work so I sketched what I could see out the roller door. 2 portraits, the first was better before I colours it, kind of ruined it, especially with the fountain pen on the hair :3 love that pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is some great talent in your hand man!..... seams you have love for watercolours and that is some really hard technique....great just keep it post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3rd August 2012

Marko: Thanks marko for the kind words and motivation

--

Full digital day. My eyes bleed.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5